Old June 17, 2000, 21:12   #1
Sortub
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:38
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Customized Worlds...
The thread about exploring units made me wonder: What are your favorite attributes in customized worlds? Just as a matter of taste, I prefer a large, young world characterized by grasslands and archaepelagos or their converse, large continents. I know it is big, but I like having that room to explore.

On a related note, do you fancy any of the "premade world" maps that come with CivII MGE?
Old June 19, 2000, 13:43   #2
Steve Clark
King

Local Time: 17:38
I really like the three world maps that comes with MGE. Here at Apolyton, there are hundreds of custom maps to download. My favorites are b_dawn.mp (an accurate, large map of the US) and nystate.mp ( ).
Old June 19, 2000, 13:54   #3
Sten Sture
Emperor

Local Time: 15:38
Gee, I wonder why you like those maps???

--
For early conquest dry, cool, large landmass, continental, young worlds seem to work well. While for OCC small archipeligo worlds give you choke points.
Old June 19, 2000, 20:39   #4
geofelt
Prince

Local Time: 18:38
I like micro worlds(25x40). You get some very difficult terrain with lots of mountains.
Old June 20, 2000, 06:43   #5
tonic
King

geofelt: And how often do you get two gold mountains within a city pattern? I think that it was rah who said it was quite common in your sort of favorite world.
Old June 22, 2000, 00:32   #6
Bohlen
Prince

I've been using Customize Worlds lately to see what kind of results I get and how much easier or more difficult it is to win. I usually go for wet and cool worlds so that I can build on rivers and play my favorite type of game - the race to AC. However, I started a game last night on a large, dry, warm, mostly continent world and was not able to get any early city sites that would support a SCC. For me, this type of world is more difficult.

What is everyone's opinion on the most difficult type of customized world?

------------------
Proud Warrior of the O.W.L. Alliance
Old June 22, 2000, 04:07   #7
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Bohlen - I think you answered your own question when you said that 'for you' this was most difficult. As just about every thread here indicates there are as many 'favourite strategies' as there are posters and each of those will have associated most favoured or otherwise terrains. SG2 would have difficulty manoeuvring his fleet of super ironclads on a map of Arrakis etc...

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor

Edit: corrected typos
[This message has been edited by Scouse Gits (edited June 22, 2000).]
Old June 22, 2000, 09:25   #8
Bohlen
Prince

SG1: OK, then. What is the most difficult customized world type for you and your style of play? I'm asking this to the group as well.

------------------
Old June 22, 2000, 09:51   #9
SCG
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
King

Hmm, I used to think that a map like the mediteranean map (large, 100% grassland except for a few sea spaces) would have been ideal for me - I like to expand and grow quickly, and love my army corps of engineers on this type of terain. You can build railroads half way across the world in 1 turn if they all concentrate on the task (well, provided you believe in engineers like some believe in caravans ) Anyway, after playing on that world a couple times, I've come to appreciate the problems in that world - its darn hard to irrigate for example. Every time i tried a world I thought I would really like, i discovered the hidden problems, and every time i tried a world I thought i would have problems with, i found all sorts of redeeming qualities. I still have yet to get away from the large, expanding civs, so at this point, a small world would probably be the toughest for me to play. I'm sure though once i try it, I'll find something neat about it too though - kind of like MP, changing your custimized worlds is all about adaptation
Old June 22, 2000, 10:52   #10
tobyr
Prince

I like the "flat world" option. It creates interesting problems, and it also makes it a lot easier to use the map in upper right corner of the screen to find where you are. Try it, you might like it; it's hard to describe the ways it feels diffferent.

I like a "young" world, with the terrain types all mixed up. I suspect that dealing with abnormal terrain is easier for me than for the AI.

- toby

------------------
toby robison
criticalpaths@mindspring.com
Old June 23, 2000, 08:14   #11
Bohlen
Prince

SCG: I used to think the same thing about small maps, but after playing on them a few times, warfare becomes just to easy, especially after Chivalry. I've never played a space race game on a small map because I just can't resist bashing heads when given the chance, but I'm sure that type of game is more difficult on young, small worlds.

tobyr: Good point about the AI having more of a problem than the player on abnormal terrain. I tend to stay away from young worlds, but I'll have to give it a shot soon. Same goes for flat maps.

------------------
Old June 23, 2000, 10:07   #12
The Mad Monk
Emperor

I like to play on huge, mixed land dominant young worlds. I like young worlds because they look more 'natural' to me. Mountains and hills should be clustered; primeval forests should be continent-spanning...
[This message has been edited by The Mad Monk (edited June 23, 2000).]
Old June 24, 2000, 00:02   #13
CornMaster
Prince

Local Time: 20:08
I prefer small to medium sized worlds with lots of islands. I never build much of a navy but I love spreading out over a serveral islands. It make me feel secure knowing that my whole empire can't be attacked by one group of attackers. I also like old, cold, dry worlds.