Old June 11, 2001, 09:38   #1
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 10:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Siege! Help wanted.
Hello, I'm toying with too many scenarios for my own good, but I am tinkering with an idea for a relativly tactical scenario(s) for sieges. My main problem right now is I can't find any decent wall graphics for my purpose. Does anyone know of any decent palisade or castlewall graphics? Or is this something I'll have to create myself? I have no bif with the latter, its just I have a stupid graphics editor that is very agrivating. Thankyou.

Ioanes
Old June 11, 2001, 14:13   #2
Shaka Naldur
Civilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Emperor

Local Time: 11:45
something that I think it is quite good for siege is making the terrain that it is around the cities stackable terrain like in the Bonaparte scn by John Ellis, or building few fortresses like in the Spartacus one
Old June 11, 2001, 14:14   #3
Shaka Naldur
Civilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Emperor

Local Time: 11:45
oh, and putting air units with range movement one inside the cities
Old June 11, 2001, 16:52   #4
JPetroski
Prince

Local Time: 06:45
Look for medieval scenarios, especially ones regarding the turks or that area... I don't recall what the name of a scenario I'm thinking of, but there is one that recounts the Byzantine Empire that had some nice wall graphics I believe...

Your best bet is to look into other scenarios, hope this helps.

JP
Old June 12, 2001, 21:42   #5
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Petrosky,

If you can name the scenario that you have in mind it may help, otherwise no scenarion I have seen has what I want.

Naldur,

Its going to be much more tactical (that is minute in scope) than what you think. I need walls as a terrain, will have huts, gardens, abbies, churches, fertile fields, blacksmiths, etc. I have been thinking of making the attacker have siege engineers who can build siege weapons (aka cities that can build projectiles only). Unfortunatly they'd be able to plant crops and build roads... Hmmm, can't wait till civ 3 comes out.

I'll probably do invisible forts across most of the maps, except in passes where one can trap and slaughter mass numbers of misguided troops...

So anyone know of good wall (preferably isometric) graphics? I can always make my own, but hey, why go through the uneeded effort? Mabey I'm just lazy
Old June 12, 2001, 22:27   #6
JPetroski
Prince

Local Time: 06:45
Have you tried Markus Eklund's "The Turks"? It has some wall and tower graphics... It wasn't exactly the same scenario that I was thinking about, but the only one on my hard-drive that has walls at the moment.

Another thought is Harlan Thompson's "Mongols". It has a few other wall graphics.

If all else fails, why not look into Harlan Thompson's "Ancient Units" collection?

I believe that all three of these pieces can be downloaded at the Apolyton-hosted Civilization Scenario Collection, but I am not sure. I know that Mongols can be.

As for your settler/irrigation & road problem - Just rename irrigation and food to something else... Nemo used "fuel" for 2nd Front, just find something else that works for this scenario... Who knows? Maybe you could have it be "ammo", and have the projectiles also be settler units which require massive amounts of food to maintain? You could solve the problem of the siege engineers requireing the same amount of food by having them come through events only with "none" as their city....

Just a few thoughts, hope they help,

JP
Old June 13, 2001, 01:11   #7
Kull
lifer
King

Local Time: 03:45
For contiguous walls that you can "draw" using the map editor, take a look at my "Odyssey" scenario, specifically the "Terr-2-3.bmp" file. There's also lots of useful "interior-type" terrains available in the "Terr-1-3.bmp" filel (tiled floors, fire pits, doors, potted plants, weapons racks, etc.) The scenario can be found here:

http://members.nbci.com/kull1/scenar...ssey/index.htm

If you can spare 2-4 hours, it should be easy to complete the quest (there's even a hint file to get you through the dicey parts). And since the last section is entirely tactical, you might get some useful ideas for your own scenario.
Old June 13, 2001, 08:50   #8
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Kull
For contiguous walls that you can "draw" using the map editor, take a look at my "Odyssey" scenario, specifically the "Terr-2-3.bmp" file. There's also lots of useful "interior-type" terrains available in the "Terr-1-3.bmp" filel (tiled floors, fire pits, doors, potted plants, weapons racks, etc.) The scenario can be found here:

http://members.nbci.com/kull1/scenar...ssey/index.htm

If you can spare 2-4 hours, it should be easy to complete the quest (there's even a hint file to get you through the dicey parts). And since the last section is entirely tactical, you might get some useful ideas for your own scenario.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll check the stuff out.

Petroski,

No, I need the food. It shall be a possibility to starve out the defenders if one plays their cards right. Not to mention I want the humans to be able to play the defender too, though probably only in a MP version now that I think of it. I was just worried that enemy siege engineers would start doing stuff its not supposed to do.

Ioanes
Old June 13, 2001, 10:24   #9
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 12:45
JMarks, the Byzantine scenario mentioned by JPetroski is probably "fading Lights" by M.Czyz. You can download it from my MustPlay section at http://civ2000.civ2.gamesweb.de/engl...v2000play0.htm
(scroll down for november 2000) It has nice wall gfx.

Do you know St.Leo´s site? I think his Caesar conversions include also wall gfx as well as other useful stuff...

BTw, do your scn simulate a special historic siege? I know some persons who had the idea for Constantinople 1453, and I thought to make a scn about Acco 1190 or 1291, but haven´t found enough time for it - maybe later...
Old June 14, 2001, 11:32   #10
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Thanks all for your help.

Bebro, no unfortunatly I don't know St Leo's site, though it could be helpful. Could you post it here so I can check it out?

Otherwise, the Odessy seems to be of most help. Although I don't want those walls in particular, I recall I have AoE2 which has the kind of walls I want. I should be able to get something going there.

Thanks.
Old June 14, 2001, 11:47   #11
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Siege
Oh yeah, forgot to say this. The scenario isn't going to be based on any particular siege, yet. It'll be roughly midieval based, and will be like a historical fiction. If I ever finish I may modify some stuff and make one based on an actual siege.

Thanks for all your help, if I need anymore I'll ask.

Ioanes
Old June 14, 2001, 12:05   #12
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 12:45
St.Leo is identical with St.Leo2 , who has a thread here too. His site is at:

http://aventine.cf-developer.net/minizigg/index.cfm

Please click on "All Files" and look for CaesarII and III gfx
Old June 15, 2001, 13:13   #13
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Thanks, but I couldn't find anything that I could use. However I did fool around with AoE2 and got the following. It should be attached in a file. I'd post it here, but I don't know how to upload the silly thing to get it on here.

I'll probably get the stone wall in a bit later.

Ioanes
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	siege.bmp
Views:	12
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	467  
Old June 19, 2001, 12:10   #14
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

stone walls
Here are some stone walls from AoE2 for those interested.

[img]D:\Games\mps\Civilization II Multiplayer Gold Edition\SCENARIO\Siege!\Terrain2.bmp[/img]

I just noticed that the flags on the palisades aren't all facing the same direction. I'll go back and fix that, silly me. Ignore the city terrain on the bottom, those won't be in Siege.

Ioanes

PS, I've tested the palisade walls to see if they 'work' visually, and besides the flag snafoo they do. For some reason, do to the graphics editor I use I think, pink and purple spots seem to apear around the graphics in game. Anyone know how to fix that?

I haven't tested the stone walls yet, and I'm not too sure they'll work properly, but theres only one way to find out...