Old June 21, 2001, 01:50   #31
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 02:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Am I supposed to get unhappies AFTER Shake's?.I built a caravel and had 4 unhappies.Happy screen then showed 8 unhappies and 4 double unhappies.

Is that +5?
Old June 21, 2001, 01:58   #32
Smash
Emperor

here it is
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	unhappy.gif
Views:	112
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	575  
Old June 21, 2001, 02:41   #33
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 10:45
Ouch!
Old June 21, 2001, 11:08   #34
samson
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Smash,

I saw the same thing in my game. Unhappies even though I had ST. Weird. It was later in the game though. I don't think I built a boat until I had transports.

For a real kick, try Deity+5 with multiple cities.
Old June 21, 2001, 11:17   #35
solo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

So even ST can't handle so many black faces!

I built a lot of diplomats and bribed ships and units far enough away to be NON, and never got any unhappiness with it in my game.
Old June 22, 2001, 01:27   #36
Smash
Emperor

Its 1000ad and I'm upgrading the situation to somewhat optimistic.

I got Sir Isaac's and am currently 1st in literacy,whatever that is worth..least I'm keeping up.Techs are coming in a hodge-podge path but they are coming.I can manage 4 turns at size 23,Democracy,4 scientists.I have 46 tech so far.
I'm 6th in population

The largest ai city,so far,is Thebes at 36.My trade routes are with this city

I'm on Refrigeration.1 engineer to finish and I think I'll try to bribe another.

I have met only 4 civs.Allied with all and the gifts are rolling in.Can't spend it fast enough right now.3991 in the treasury.

There is a barb city that is churning out rifles(now) and I have used this to acquire many nons.They are somewhat inhibiting the Celts..which is good.

good news-once I switched to Democracy,I could build units without the unhappy thing

I would like to play against this level ai with normal unhappiness levels for the player.The ai has been experiencing alot of disorder in cities.
Old June 22, 2001, 10:29   #37
samson
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Smash

I would like to play against this level ai with normal unhappiness levels for the player.The ai has been experiencing alot of disorder in cities.
I didn't notice the super-unhappiness affecting the AI too much in my game, so I did a little post-mortem analysis using the Cheat menu.

The AI on Deity+5 gets 3 content citizens per city with a red face on the fourth. I believe this is the same as they get on Deity and is equivalent to human player King level unhappiness. When their cities really start to boom in size (after Sanitation) the AI tends to run at a 40% lux rate to keep everyone content unless they have one of the happiness wonders. But even with 40% of their income going to luxuries, their science rate is comparable to or better than the human rate.

Of course, it's easy to implement Deity level human unhappiness in +5 with a rules.txt mod. I don't think this would make much difference to the AI, but it would make multi-city Deity+5 more doable.
Old June 23, 2001, 03:47   #38
Smash
Emperor

thats NEGATIVE 122
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	negative.gif
Views:	83
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	619  
Old June 23, 2001, 11:53   #39
samson
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Smash,

What does it look like inside that city? Are there negative people there?

Probably a counter rolled over. Is it possible to get this same effect in human cities with the food caravan trick?
Old June 23, 2001, 14:22   #40
Smash
Emperor

ya its a rollover.Notice the city icon.Thats a small city.It disappeared from the top 5
Human can do it also.
Never,ever thought I'd see the ai do this.
Old June 26, 2001, 16:09   #41
solo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

I noticed a side effect when GAME.TXT was modified to play this game. When I started a new game with standard settings using regular deity, asking for 7 civs, only 6 appeared in the game, which took a while to discover! I looked in vain for the purple civ!

Curious, I tried a few more starts, took a look, and only six civs per game appeared each time, although I asked for 7. There may be other unknown side effects, so I would recommend changing GAME.TXT back to it's original state after playing this deity +5 game.
Old June 26, 2001, 16:28   #42
samson
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Solo,

First, you don't need to modify GAME.TXT to play the game, only to generate a Deity+5 start.

Second, missing civs occur on small maps with some frequency with or without the Deity+5 GAME.TXT mod. And it is quite possible to get all 7 civs on small maps with the mod, too. I don't think there's a relationship there.

Smash,

Ever finish that game? How'd it turn out for you?
Old June 27, 2001, 11:06   #43
solo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

samson,

Thanks for the info, as I didn't know that. I think I did try it four or five times though, each time getting only 6 civs. After changing GAME.TXT, I tried four or five more starts and checked to see that each had 7 civs. Should have tried it a few more times, I guess!

I'm also curious about how some of the other games are going, especially Smash's, where so much weirdness has popped up!
Old June 27, 2001, 14:49   #44
Bird
King

Local Time: 06:45
This doesn't have anything to do with OCC Deity +5, but it doesn't merit its own thread and I feel like venting.

I had a start a couple of nights ago with 5 or 6 starting techs, including monarchy. Two huts were in view and a gold square. I saved the game right away seeing as it appeared to have a little potential. I popped the huts and got two horses and sent them looking for a starting spot. The spot that utilized the first gold square was ok, but there was an even better one a few squares away -- one gold, one whale, one buffalo and a river to hopefully mine to something useful, plus 3 or 4 other river squares. The settler was on that spot in 5 turns. At that point, I decided simply to mine the river square to see if it gave up a special rather than settle the city b/c I didn't have time to play the game with the care that that kind of start deserves (assuming I got a 4th special). Lo and behold, I get a silk. The only negative features about the starting spot were that the city location was on a hill and there were two mountain squares in the city radius. (There was some work for the settler to do apart from those, but nothing that couldn't be handled by the time the squares would be needed.)

So I quit with the intention of restarting from the beginning at a later date when I had time to pay extra careful attention to the micromanagement necessary for a very early OCC landing. I also "copied" the game to a floppy so I could bring it to work and offer it to someone who could make it available to the forum.

Well, last night I sat down to start the game and it turns out I didn't copy the save, I moved it to the floppy. And now the damned floppy apparently can't be read. Well this sucks.

I would like to have seen what the record breakers in this group could do with that start. It is so rare to get monarchy at the start anyway, and more often than not when you get it a good starting location is too far away to help.

That's enough venting.
Old June 27, 2001, 15:50   #45
Smash
Emperor

I lost.Got beat by a Celtic spaceship.I would have won if ...the Egyptians hadn't sneak attacked.I survived and started to put the hurt on them but this meant building units instead of Spaceship parts.When the dust settled,the Celts were ready and I wasn't

I also suffered with a goofy tech path.I had to trade for all manner of unwanted tech.

I think I should have built SETI just to play keep away.I had over 12000 gold and oodles of caravans/freights at the time but thought "nah".I built Hoover's with the same plan of "keep away" in mind and that turned out good so I should have stuck with the plan

Celtic Ship landed 182-something.

Best part was watching all the naval battles just offshore of the city.I couldn't come close to estimating the tonnage that lies on the bottom there.
Old June 27, 2001, 21:06   #46
solo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Bird,

Too bad, but not such a loss because of the buffalo and the hill. Monarchy at the start helps, but in most good starts we've had recently with better SSC sites, Monarchy came by 3450 at the latest, which is not much of a handicap!

Still, thanks for making the effort to preserve it for our ongoing efforts to land earlier and earlier.

Smash,

Too bad, I thought you were going to make it! Quite the spectacle, though, like being a tiny mouse watching a bunch of drunk bull elephants get on each other's nerves! The amount of hardware careening about was truly awesome and worth a loss to witness.