Old June 11, 2001, 13:13   #1
Garth Vader
King

Local Time: 04:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Some questions and a complaint
I am playing France in the GC.

England did a trade embargo on me and I didn't get a CB, why not?

Is there any way to get ships into the great lakes?

I have a large presence in North America, but in some cases I can't create a colony even if I have a colony in the neighboring province why not?

I was in an alliance with Poland and wasn't asked to renew the alliance for about 70 years I finally broke down and got out because I wanted to create my own alliance. I created a new alliance with Baden and Kleves but I had to renew it right away. The manual said something about a number of years of peace, but I am pretty sure there were long periods of peace during my long alliance with PL.

My complaint is that the praries in NA are permenent TI, I know that the continent was crossed by land by 1793 and that there were a number of trading posts in the praries during the time. I at least wanted to explore the area that I live
Garth Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2001, 15:05   #2
Kyle
Prince

Local Time: 06:45
Re: Some questions and a complaint
Quote:
Originally posted by Garth Vader
I am playing France in the GC.

England did a trade embargo on me and I didn't get a CB, why not?

It could've been a special event. Check to see if England is refusing trade against everyone.

Quote:
Is there any way to get ships into the great lakes?
No

Quote:
I have a large presence in North America, but in some cases I can't create a colony even if I have a colony in the neighboring province why not?
Never encountered that. Unless the province you're trying to get to is covered in TI.

Quote:
I was in an alliance with Poland and wasn't asked to renew the alliance for about 70 years I finally broke down and got out because I wanted to create my own alliance. I created a new alliance with Baden and Kleves but I had to renew it right away. The manual said something about a number of years of peace, but I am pretty sure there were long periods of peace during my long alliance with PL.
Whenever a war is declared (and you go along with it), the alliance is automatically extended by 10 years. But I think I may have heard rumblings of some alliances continuing indefinitely.

Look around on the official forums for more about that.

Quote:
My complaint is that the praries in NA are permenent TI, I know that the continent was crossed by land by 1793 and that there were a number of trading posts in the praries during the time. I at least wanted to explore the area that I live
By whom though? Lewis and Clark didn't begin until 1804. I impression is, even if someone had crossed through there, detailed maps weren't found for it. But yeah, the PTI gets annoying on some occasions.

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2001, 20:46   #3
Garth Vader
King

Local Time: 04:45
It could've been a special event. Check to see if England is refusing trade against everyone

Ah, they are. That must be it.

By whom though? Lewis and Clark didn't begin until 1804. I impression is, even if someone had crossed through there, detailed maps weren't found for it. But yeah, the PTI gets annoying on some occasions.

I don't know much about exploration in the US but here's what I know about Canadian exploration.

Alexander Mackenzie discovered the river named after him in Northern Canada and followed it right to the Arctic. He also crossed the country by 1793.

The French had a number of trading posts west of the great lakes in Manitoba and I believe a bit west of that by the end of the games time frame.

I could easily accept if they made the rockies PTI.
Garth Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2001, 11:24   #4
DaShi
Emperor

Local Time: 10:45
Colonies can't make any units: ships, soldiers, etc. making them a pain in the ass to defend. Basically, all they're good for is trade. Keep pumping colonists into them, and they'll eventually become a city. I think you need 7-8.
Old June 12, 2001, 17:56   #5
Kropotkin
Emperor

Local Time: 12:45
The 7th turns the colony into a city. The populationgrowth can do it for you with less but don't count on it if you want the city that century. It's a nice idea to place the colony in a province with a local tribe with low or very low aggressive-rating since they'll turn into citizens when the colony turns city.
Old June 13, 2001, 05:11   #6
DaShi
Emperor

Local Time: 10:45
Low aggressive tribes still attack my colonies for some reason. I have to send troops to exterminate the 'pacifist' natives (how true to history) in order for my colonies to last.
Old June 13, 2001, 11:16   #7
Kropotkin
Emperor

Local Time: 12:45
Having around 1000 infantrymen to defend the colony against pagans is a good idea but that'll bew enough to defend it against any attacks but don't exterminate them. Getting a boost of 500-1000 citizens is great for the economy.

Playing with England at the moment and have around 5-6 cities in North America around 1600. All that cash gonna finance my final destruction of the infidels in Scotland. If they only could give up that 'pointless' alliance with France, Portugal and Spain...