Old June 11, 2001, 19:42   #1
Theben
Deity

Local Time: 06:47
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Resources/Specials/Production
Okay, we already know that resources are in, and that colonies bring resources to an empire.

What AFAIK hasn't been said is whether or not "special" squares are still in the game. Y'know the ones that increase the food/production/trade of a square? Do resources take their place? And finally, do resources within city limits boost f/p/t?
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old June 11, 2001, 19:55   #2
Ilkuul
Prince

Local Time: 10:47
It seems to me from the game maps we've seen that special resources are still there, in particular tiles (the little horses on plains, iron in mountains, etc.): the difference is that they now benefit not only a single city (or colony), but also every other city linked by road or rail.

Every time you win, remember: "The first shall be last".
Every time you lose, remember: "The last shall be first".
Old June 11, 2001, 22:09   #3
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 05:47
hey ben,

i gotcha covered on this one

im not sure WHERE i read it, but i know for a fact that i read that special resources (the same ones you can trade to other civs and whatnot) have increased food/prod/trade for THE CITY IT IS IN , and if that city is on the "trade route" (road/rail going back to capital, the other cities also recieve a benefit of it (i assume a fraction of the city touching it)
Old June 12, 2001, 04:58   #4
Jarouik
Warlord

Local Time: 12:47
Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
im not sure WHERE i read it, but i know for a fact that i read that special resources (the same ones you can trade to other civs and whatnot) have increased food/prod/trade for THE CITY IT IS IN , and if that city is on the "trade route" (road/rail going back to capital, the other cities also recieve a benefit of it (i assume a fraction of the city touching it)
I think the point here is that, just as in Civ 1 and 2, the special resource squares will most probably provide you with the appropriate food/production/trade bonuses, if you have a city worker assigned to that tile. In this way, the special squares are in the game just as before - I don't see why Firaxis would have removed the extra production coming from these squares.

In addition, however, a special resource square (I don't know if this applies to all of the special squares, such as buffalo/pheasant/whatnot) will provide you with a single commodity such as oil etc., which will be available to all the cities connected to the square by road - you do not need to have a worker assigned to this square, and neither does it have to be inside your city radius, the square just has to be inside your civs borders or you have to have a colony built on it. I do not think this special resource availability has anything to do with the standard food/production/trade which a city gets from working the square - this is something Ilkuul and UberKruX got mixed up with, I think...
Old June 12, 2001, 05:49   #5
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 11:47
Quote:
Originally posted by Jarouik
I think the point here is that, just as in Civ 1 and 2, the special resource squares will most probably provide you with the appropriate food/production/trade bonuses, if you have a city worker assigned to that tile. In this way, the special squares are in the game just as before - I don't see why Firaxis would have removed the extra production coming from these squares.

In addition, however, a special resource square (I don't know if this applies to all of the special squares, such as buffalo/pheasant/whatnot) will provide you with a single commodity such as oil etc., which will be available to all the cities connected to the square by road - you do not need to have a worker assigned to this square, and neither does it have to be inside your city radius, the square just has to be inside your civs borders or you have to have a colony built on it. I do not think this special resource availability has anything to do with the standard food/production/trade which a city gets from working the square
This is my impression too
Old June 12, 2001, 06:08   #6
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 11:47
Hi Thebun

I remembered seeing it written down somewhere that some special resources (wheat is the only one I am aware of) does increase the resources within the city. If you have a city lying within reach of wheat, you gain a food bonus on that square. I don't know how this will apply to other resources though.
Old June 12, 2001, 10:28   #7
Colon™
Emperor

Of what I'd like to have clarification is how resources and shields will function. My impression is that it will be as in civ2, in which you'll require ell-embracing shields, except for certain units (and structures?) who'll require a special resource. Besides to that, certain resources will also affect happiness.

Correct, or will resources have a larger, more basic function in the game?

I had hoped resources would replace shields totally and that there would also be a 'procession level', as in imperialism or colonisation, but judging from pics, shields are still in.
Old June 12, 2001, 12:25   #8
SerapisIV
King

I pretty sure on this, but I think the whole idea of this thread comes from a Firaxis post in one of the "colonies" threads in the past month or so. In it, standard production (trade, food, or shields) bonuses were said to be given for special resources found within a city radius, just as in Civ2. However, no bonus besides the luxury/production (iron for legions) bonus was given for colony resources, they only benefit towns connected by roads indirectly. Firaxis Dan mentioned that colonies were really mobile pop points, such that I don't think the home city of the colony gets any greater bonus from resources.

Again, this is just my impression of recent announcements, not known facts
Old June 13, 2001, 11:17   #9
Colon™
Emperor

Re my previous post, is anyone at least willing to say: "yes, that's how production will function in civ3." ?
Old June 13, 2001, 16:31   #10
SerapisIV
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Colon
Of what I'd like to have clarification is how resources and shields will function. My impression is that it will be as in civ2, in which you'll require ell-embracing shields, except for certain units (and structures?) who'll require a special resource. Besides to that, certain resources will also affect happiness.

Correct, or will resources have a larger, more basic function in the game?
Sounds about right to me, thats pretty much the impression I have. However, as time goes on, units (hopefully buildings too) will require several resources, not just one, adding more depth, ie. trade wars.

Maybe we'll also get glue factories so that horses are still useful after the automobile is discovered
Old June 14, 2001, 12:19   #11
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 10:47
"Special" squares should be included, they were extremely useful in the game when you wanted to create a large city.

However- in the scenario editor, one should be able to place the special squares instead of having them be randomly assigned.