Old June 24, 2000, 08:30   #1
East Street Trader
Prince

Local Time: 23:38
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Collosus, Gardens ... or Lighthouse?
Deity, raging hordes and small map. You started in the antarctic and accepted a one whale one ivory site to found Little Bighorn (better name welcome - are there Esquimo cities?). Anyway, you are about to build first wonder in Little Bighorn - AI not started any yet. Choice is between Collosus, HG or Lighthouse. Trouble with Collosus is that Little Bighorn is size three and unlikely to grow either quickly or, being on the edge of the board, in the longer term. Trouble with HG is similar. Not sure that you will found numerous cities (small map) and Little Bighorn will not make good use of the three happies.

I incline to going for Lighthouse and adopting a strat that tries to use these vet ironclad guys I read about. Harbour doubts though.

Need a cup of tea to think about this. What do you think? Should add you have got two other coastal cities established and one has an iron special available.

PS Is the civ2-help board the right place for this kind of thread or is Strategy OK?
[This message has been edited by East Street Trader (edited June 24, 2000).]
Old June 24, 2000, 10:19   #2
Tom DeMille
Prince

Local Time: 18:38
Well, I think you've answered the question yourself. Colossus is not much use, and neither is Hanging Gardens at this point in the game. So go with the Lighthouse, which will give you an immediate boost in exploration. You can then ,oad up your triremes with settlers and found some cities in decent city sites. At that point Hanging Gardens could be useful. Yuo might even want ot move your capital to a new SSC site.

This is a strategy question. The help section seems more used for "game keeps crashing", or "this scenario won't load" types of questions.

Oh, and a good Eskimo (or Inuit, as they prefer to be known) town name would be "Inuvik", which is at the ~70th parallel in the Northwest Territories of Canada.
Old June 24, 2000, 10:58   #3
East Street Trader
Prince

OK, Scott of the (Antarctican) Inuit it is and Little Bighorn is now Inuvik - rather good name that, I think that Arctic cities may routinely get that name in future games.

Bloody barbs (in which the game abounds as there are two size 7 barb cities) just sank my trireme with an expensive diplo abord. However one nice thing. I attacked a barb archer near the barb city which I have located at which a popup appeared saying, "Sire! Shall we declare war on the Barbarians?" Great stuff. Maybe my advisers think we're the Romans.
Old June 24, 2000, 13:06   #4
Hawkx9
Chieftain

EST,
How many other cities do you have? I'd find a better city location and build the Colossus there. Second or third city are not too late for a SSC in my opinion, especially against the AI. Colossus and HG in the same city is da bomb early... republic's trade at monarchy's cost... 3 trade per square not including specials, 4 w/ rivers after bridge building. Then form your three trade routes and you're home free.

However, if you're on an island, I'd go Lighthouse and forget the SSC... maybe go GL and ST. Just an idea.

------------------
~work like you don't need the money~
~love like you've never been hurt~
~dance like nobody's watchin'~
~live like there's no tomorrow~
Old June 24, 2000, 18:53   #5
tonic
King

It's not a potential site for a SSC so my vote goes to the Lighthouse option as well.

BTW, EST, what's this about Eskimos (Inuits) in the Antarctic? Seems closer to my realm Down Under, than Tom's up there ! They'd probably be Emperors (black and white flag). As for city names take your pick - it's like a small world map on its own, with at least 7 nations. A couple that caught my eye from the atlas - Ice Tongue, Hercules Dome. Perhaps simply SETP?
[This message has been edited by tonic (edited June 24, 2000).]
Old June 25, 2000, 19:28   #6
tonic
King

EST: Until I get one more publishable log on the Fortnightly challenge, my OCC5 effort might be politely termed "beginner's luck". In the end it really is sheer concentration and focus, very much a competitive atmosphere although thankfully here it is more of a "friendly vying" which takes the emphasis away from winning at all costs (think what that has done to the Olympics ).

Talking about the amber stuff have you heard the one by Monty Python about weak beer?
Old June 26, 2000, 00:49   #7
East Street Trader
Prince

Hawk. I wasn't about to start building a wonder but about to finish one. I'd been building it while my NON settlers explored along the Antarctic rim. It was pretty obvious my first city had no great future and building a wonder was the best move. With hindsight should have researched masonry but I've been eschewing that in recent games for experimental reasons.

What I didn't mention when I posted the question is that by the time I had to make an election I knew that the Antarctic rim is close to a largish looking continent to which and around which triremes can easily navigate w/o needing to cross open water. I've been looking for a chance to build a strat around the Lighthouse since reading some stuff in these threads which touch on it being neglected and on the value of vet boats (I think you've said that there is a window of opportunity to wreak havock with vet ironclads). But my map looked like a silly one to try it on. Anyway it's built now so I'll get to find out something of the Wonder's usefulness even if not in ideal circs. Been distracted this week-end so haven't got to the vet ironclads stage yet.

Tonic. Didn't fancy being king of the penguins - if you'd seen the way I walk you'd know that would be a tad too close to self parody.

If I'd thought of the black and white flag tho' and knew about Ice Tongue would definitely have gone for it! Can't change names twice tho'. The other civs will start thinking I'm disreputable.

Ice Tongue now, wonder who that reminds me off?

PS Jealous of that OCC5 result. Guess I'd better take up drinking Fosters ("He who drinks Australian, thinks Australian").

But what am I saying! Can even an improvement to my Civ2 capabilities justify death by chemical poisoning and excess gas? Think not, cobber. Have to stick to bitter and bomb some more.
Old June 26, 2000, 05:00   #8
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

A further advantage of the 'Lighthouse' strategy is that your triremes (being vet) are virtually indestructable in the early game - no more diplos lost to barbs...

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor