Old June 12, 2001, 00:59   #1
Iconoclast
Settler

Local Time: 04:49
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Need help with space themed scenario
I am working on a new space themed scenario, and right now I am working on my units. I am using a ocean based space, so most units are either sea based, or air based with no refuels.

Right now I have a pretty extensive unit tree made, and was looking for some input from the boards. If anyone is interested in helping, or has some exp themselves in making a whole new universe of units/map/etc for space please reply here. If it is needed I can post what units I have right now, or you can email me for the info at Iconoclast_9@hotmail.com.

So far it is shaping up very well, just want to check for balance issues, and things I may have missed.
Old June 17, 2001, 06:56   #2
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Local Time: 06:49
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The idea of an ocean themed space scenario is a decent one, and lends itself especially well to the concept of having to "embark" settling units and war units onto "spacefaring" craft.

However, the biggest problem I came up against in the Star Wars scenario I tried to program is that the computer AI in all Civ2 versions has a very limited understanding of what ships can and can't do. Their strongest point appears to be using ships for transporting land units to war frontiers, but anything else (including aircraft and missile carrier functions and general naval supremacy) they are quite weak on.

In any case, this shouldn't be that much of a problem if your scenario can be played multiplayer, since a rival human player tends to be much more sophisticated.

Bear in mind that if you make single-square land cities surrounded by water, then a trireme unit INSIDE THE CITY can still be "lost at sea"! This is because the unit is surrounded by water on all sides and then calculates itself as out of sight of land.

I think that's about all I can think of from my experiences with my Star Wars scenario.