Old June 12, 2001, 01:04   #1
master on high
King

Local Time: 10:49
Local Date: October 31, 2010
TOT's Transporters
I am really fed up with these transporters. I'm wracked my brain to try and figure out just what to do with two maps to try and make them like a round world....but TOT simply doesn't want to help me out here...anyway...here's the deal.

With all the new PBEM games popping up, I figured that there might actually be an audience for that Cold War scenario I've been working on for like....forever. So in that spirit, I decided to work on a better map of the world from a unique projection I stumbled upon. (attachment)

[Feel free to skip...it's not really THAT important]

I had no idea what the size should be, so I took a Giga Map a blanked it to just get an idea of the size. I realized it wasn't long enough when Viet Nam was about 20 squares away from Greenland...hardly room for North America. I counted the squares from Kamchatka to South Africa (about 96 hexes mind you) and promptly made a new map about 184, 200. Still not long enough. Papua New Guinea and Mexico came damn close to each other.

So I figured I'd make two maps. One of the eastern hemisphere (roughly...Africa to Australia and Antarctica) and of the western hemisphere (Americas, Pacific, and Antarctica...yeah...the east part of it).

Both are brilliant maps I must say. Perfectly projected, link up just fine.

[Continue reading here]

But the damn transporters are the problem!

I remembered what DV did and realized that I'd have to go and make a two hex wide barrier between the left and right side of each map to make the "ladder" transporters work. I just have to redo each damn square to get that to work...

I can deal with that. However...I came to the problem of making it so that units can get from the Western Atlantic to the Eastern Atlantic, while at the same time having units get from the Eastern Pacific to the Western Pacific.

Civilization has failed me. It really has.

Native transport won't work. cos...well...duh. And starports can be used as international airports. That's already an option.

But it certainly hampers gameplay when US ships can't even meet up with Soviet Ships!

Ideas are welcome. Really. But I have thought of just about every possibility. Perhaps someone would like to go hacking for me?
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.gif
Views:	57
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	380  
Old June 21, 2001, 12:29   #2
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 12:49
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The only way I know is by using a third map. Have a look at the following mapset for some inspiration: http://gene.wins.uva.nl/~jvermeir/mlwmp2.zip
the fourth map is a rather blank map, with just some sea or land lanes on the positions of the transporters to link the 1st and 3rd maps. As far as I know, terrain specific are specified for each map separately, so you can set the terrains on this linking map to have a zero movement cost.