Old June 12, 2001, 03:59   #1
ivanbuto
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:49
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Questions about Civ2 formulas (military combat)
I piled together a couple of questions I have about formulas/calculations in various areas of Civ2. This is after having read the Official Strategy Guide, Civ2 Advanced Strategies by Michael Rymaszewski, and the Civ2MPGE "MISC.TXT" file.

This thread contains questions about the area of military combat, questions about Diplomacy are in the other thread I am posting.

Military Combat

Q1:
Questions 1 and 2 based on pg. 274 of the Off. Strat. Guide.

Is it true that neither air nor naval units receive the 50% fortification bonus even though they are fortified inside a city?

Q2: Is it true that the firepower of an air unit defending inside a city is also reduced to 1, as it is in the case of naval units?

The following is quoted from the MISC.TXT file, and questions follow.

"* Fighters' attack factors are vastly increased when
attacking Helicopters. This is because the Helicopter's
defense factor represents its strength when defending
against ground attacks, not against air-to-air.

* Partisans' attack factors are vastly increased when
attacking non-combat units (settlers, diplomats,
caravans).

* When a ship bombards a ground unit on shore, the firepower
of both units is reduced to one. This simulates the low
accuracy of shore bombardment."

Q3: How exactly are fighters' (also stealth fighters'/bombers'/stealth bombers') attack factors increased in the mentioned situation?

Q4: How exactly are partisans' attack factors increased in the mentioned situation?

Q5: Also when a ship bombards a ground unit defending inside a city, the firepower of both units is reduced to one?

Q6: When fighters/stealth fighters defend in cities against other air units, is this a special combat case in any way? It always seems to me that the defending fighters are somehow much stronger than they should be.

Q7: The CIV1 guide states on pg. 257 that "if a defending unit behind City Walls is attacked by Artillery or Bombers, it will default to receive benefits of being fortified." Does anything like this happen in Civ2 with any units?
Old June 12, 2001, 05:20   #2
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 10:49
Again - see the Great Library - in particular - http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...=&threadid=988
Old June 12, 2001, 12:03   #3
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 04:49
Thanks, SG, you beat me to it! I love seeing combat questions shot down immediately with a link to my combat thread... Ivanbuto, your questions can be answered in the thread linked by SG. To answer fine details:

Q2: No. A fighter fortified in a city but not behind city walls can withstand the attacks of even marines. Even tho they don't scramble (i.e. no such message pops up), they still defend as tho they are scrambling.

Q3: Their relative strength increases relatively to the helicopter receiving its defensive adjustment.

Q6: Again, they scramble without the popup message, which means they are very tough to beat.

Q7: If the attacker ignores city walls, the defender still does benefit from being fortified (i.e., behind the dirt fort). Unless he's not fortified, in which case he is in deep doo-doo.

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.