Old June 12, 2001, 11:26   #1
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Local Time: 10:49
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Hmm, weird
I haven't had main menu music for a good couple of weeks now, but just as I was about to get off my butt and post a thread asking where it had gone, it came back! For some unknown reason, the music returned today, as bizarrely as it had died a couple of weeks ago.

Anyone know what gives?
"They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara
Old June 12, 2001, 17:32   #2
Darkstar
Prince

Local Time: 04:49
SMAC seems to have a LOT of sound and music problems. I find once they start glitching, I have to reboot the machine to straighten them out. Just exitting and restarting SMAC will not resolve the problem.

Other then classic sound/music screw ups, maybe:
1) you had your sound turned off.
2) you had deactivated music at some point, and finally turned it back on the previous time you played SMAC.

Just a few wild guesses
Old June 12, 2001, 20:36   #3
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Ah, that could be it - it's a PBEM game, so I suppose it's possible my opponent (or Aredhran) had music turned off, because I wouldn't swear to not putting it back on the turn previous to me noticing it was back on.
Old June 13, 2001, 23:19   #4
Lucy In The Sky
Chieftain

FWIW, Loss of sound/music tracks in this & other CD run games was the first tell-tale sign of CD failure. Sound came & went before the drive speed dropped to unacceptable. Now I grab NO-CD patches from here http://gamecopyworld.com/ & run my games from the HD. Full install of the game required.
Old June 14, 2001, 06:46   #5
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

I'm running it on no CD. I only have one working drive, really (my writer is new, my reader is dying slowly. Will be replaced by a DVD at some point). And since there's no No-CD patch for B&W patch yet, I tend to keep that CD in the drive. Pretty much everything else works off the drive.