Old June 20, 2000, 01:17   #31
Genghis Al
Warlord

Local Time: 23:38
Local Date: October 30, 2010
This ia Great stuff. I love the Goody hut Idea and the contenant themes. The go away bget lost i just funny junk.

Alex v5.8
Old June 20, 2000, 01:29   #32
Seeker
Emperor

Local Time: 18:38
I sometimes put -gaard -ville -burg ect after something interesting (ie Whaleville, Goldton, Coalburg, River City) or the nearest enemy (Azgaard, Chingaard, ect)

Of course, the capital is Seekeropolis.
Old June 20, 2000, 02:11   #33
East Street Trader
Prince

Sometimes I name the first city Laraville for my daughter, the next Angel Town for my wife (Angela), the next Sylvan Glades for my mum (Sylvia), Victory! for my dad Victor etc, etc.

Kinda boring but I like it.

Watch out tho' if you try it. You're bound to have one or two cities that you favour. Laraville gets to have all sorts of stuff that maybe should be being built elsewhere and, if they've recently bankrupted me buying EVEN MORE clothes the silk/gold caravan just has to make a delivery to Angel Town even when it shouldn't really.

PS Just thought of a good one - for that mountain eyrie "Mile High". A city name with altitude.
[This message has been edited by East Street Trader (edited June 20, 2000).]
Old June 20, 2000, 17:54   #34
Alexander's Horse

I put a couple cities behind finbar's lines in a duel: "LookBehindYou!" and "OverHere!"

Old June 22, 2000, 08:25   #35
neilinoz
Chieftain

I've had a few different modes of city naming:

1) Bad language cities (F*ck, Sh*t, C*nt)

2) CD Collection cities, (Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Metallica)

3) Song name Cities, (Stairway Heaven, Brain Damage, Unforgiven II)

4) Local suburbs cities (Hollywood, Culver City, Basingstoke)

5) Railway station sities (Kings Cross, Marylebone)

6) Name calling cities (Moron! Idiot! Der Brain!)

7) Author cities (Clancy, Grisham, Joyce)

8) Sporting team cities (Essex CCC, Man Utd, NY Jets, Chic. Bulls)

------------------
"I have found you can find happiness in slavery"

neilinoz@hotmail.com
Old June 22, 2000, 11:00   #36
tobyr
Prince

I accidentally created a neat city name for an agressive civ when I was editing the game's default city names. Here it is:

I

That's right, just the word "I" .

- toby

------------------
toby robison
criticalpaths@mindspring.com
Old June 22, 2000, 19:15   #37
finbar
Civilization II MultiplayerMac
Emperor

Local Time: 01:38
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Whichever theme you take with city naming, make sure you choose one that will supply enough names to keep you going. Nothing worse than running out of names and having to change themes mid-theme.

*Horse, of course, would construe this to mean changing horses in mid-theme*

Anyone even remotely thinking of running with the Phil Spector 60s Girl Groups city-naming theme - Ronettes, Crystals, etc - should forget it immediately. You run out of names very quickly. Unless, of course, you segue into other Phil Spector artists like the Righteous Brothers, Ike & Tina Turner, Ray Peterson and Curtis Lee. Oh, and Gene Pitney - he recorded with Phil Spector at least once. God knows why. Regardless, a decent-sized Civ will exhaust the Phil Spector catalogue. Which is a crying shame. He was, and remains, God. Even if insane, and a rip-off merchant.

Mmm. Upon reflection, I'm probably the only person in the universe to contemplate the Phil Spector city-naming theme. I'm odd.

Feel free to forget any or all of the above.

------------------
finbar
Mono Rules!
Old June 23, 2000, 08:12   #38
East Street Trader
Prince

Au contraire Finbar. That looks like the next challenge to me. Theme still alive when you found your 50th city anyone?

"I" is indeed a good one. Agree Horse of Course? By the way, loved "Look behind You" - also "Get Lost". Yet more excellent reasons to start playing MP.
Old June 23, 2000, 08:37   #39
SCG
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
King

in terms of themes, i usually don't have too much of a problem keeping them alive indefinitely, after all, i only need to come up with at most 255 right? Of course most of my themes are pretty broad (cities in Texas, planets in the Star Trek Universe etc), or if i'm bored, renaming the 'extra' names to continue the city names of my chosen civilization in the city.txt file (only takes a nearby atlas ) Then there was the time I named my continents and numbered the cities on the continents (Sol-1, Sol-2, Sol-3, Centari-1, Centari-2 etc) Only problem with that was incorperating captured cities into the numbering system - having Sol-14 coming before Sol-2 on the city list for example) anyway, once a naming theme starts, i always try and stick with it to term
Old June 23, 2000, 17:10   #40
William Keenan
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

[This message has been edited by William Keenan (edited June 25, 2000).]
Old June 25, 2000, 08:51   #41
Alexander's Horse

yes, well, back to the topic.......

Old June 25, 2000, 20:11   #42
finbar
Emperor

quote:

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse on 06-19-2000 06:16 PM
Surprised noone has mentioned the city names of the Great Raz:

North, South, East and West Raz, Slightly South West Raz, etc. etc.

Whoooaaaaaaaaa there, Horse. After the four basic compass co-ordinates - N, S, E and W -Raz tends to opt for city names like Pert Little Breasts, if you recall. In actual fact, when I subbed for him in a diplo game, I built a couple of cities and added the compass variations - South West Raz, North North East Raz, Bit Further South Raz, etc. He weren't amused.

------------------
finbar
Mono Rules!
Old June 25, 2000, 20:16   #43
finbar
Emperor

quote:

<font size=1>Originally posted by East Street Trader on 06-23-2000 08:12 AM</font>
Au contraire Finbar. That looks like the next challenge to me.

Mais oui, East Street. The key is finding a theme with the legs to carry you as far as you wish to travel down the city building path. Malheureusement, the Phil Spector 60s Girl Groups theme had so few legs as to be ... well, a virtual amputee.

On the other hand, I've had outstanding success with the Fruit theme, Vegetable theme, Cut of Meat theme, Make of Car theme, 60s Bands theme, Human Body Parts theme - people are usually loathe to attack Lower Colon - and so on. The only downside with the food related themes is that sods like A. Horse tend to attack when they're feeling peckish.

------------------
finbar
Mono Rules!
[This message has been edited by finbar (edited June 25, 2000).]
Old June 25, 2000, 20:36   #44
Alexander's Horse

If I ever get hold of a "Raz civ" I'm going to have city names like "RazWithSugaronTop" and "RazWithaPuddininhisBelly".

Old June 26, 2000, 23:46   #45
finbar
Emperor

RazLightUpMyLife
RazBeneathMyWings
HeyRaz
LongAndWindingRaz
SgtRaz'sLonelyHeartsClubBand
DayInTheRaz
ElanorRaz
PennyRaz
StairwayToRaz
RazOnTheWater
PaintItRaz
ICan'tGetNo(Raz)

------------------
finbar
Mono Rules!
Old June 27, 2000, 08:59   #46
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

I always love when people name their cities with compass points like North this or West that... It makes it easier to guess where the heart of their empire is
Old June 27, 2000, 09:59   #47
SCG
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
King

quote:

I always love when people name their cities with compass points like North this or West that... It makes it easier to guess where the heart of their empire is

sounds like a neat way to misdirect someone too (ie name your frontier cities northwest instead of northeast or whichever is away from the approaching units) Kind of like that Boston thing Xin Yu tried earlier in the thread
Old June 27, 2000, 10:27   #48
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

ROTFLMAO... I wouldn't trust any city name that Xin used

Yeah, there can be misdirection, but many of the people I play with have a set naming pattern. I like to vary mine enough to keep people guessing. I'll even change names of cities a few times during the game just for fun (and yes, I once did name a city Southwatch to "attempt" to fool somebody into thinking he had reached my empire... it was just a lone city from a hut... He captured it a few hundred years later)
Old June 27, 2000, 15:28   #49
N35t0r
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversDiplomacyScenario League / Civ2-CreationPtWDG2 Latin LoversC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansPSPB Team EspañolC4WDG Spamyard TeamBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 20:38
A SPY WAS HERE!

for your opponent's cities
Old June 27, 2000, 20:07   #50
SilverDragon

Once, playing an MP game against my sister, I carefully built up a great SSC with copes ikes and shake's (No collosus though.) Then, a spy came up to my city, and renamed it TOAST. You can guess what happened next (Damn those stupid CMs.) She paid dearly though. Her SSC with the colossus was visited with a different type of missile. Mwahahahaha!!!

Old June 27, 2000, 20:35   #51
Alexander's Horse

I once did a civ with Capital then Boiling, Hot, Very Hot, Warm, getting Warmer, Cold, Very Cold, Freezing etc. etc. I randomised the names to confuse opponents

Old June 27, 2000, 21:39   #52
finbar
Emperor

quote:

Originally posted by East Street Trader on 06-27-2000 12:40 PM

PS Finbar. How about using the names of individuals as well the groups' names? Then there's the session musicians, the guys in the recording studio - cover artists maybe - still think there's a challenge in there somewhere.

Good point. Trouble is, Darlene Love sang lead on most of Phil Spector's Girl Group singles. Except the Ronettes, of course, where Ronnie Spector (his missus) did the job. But Darlene was the Crystals, etc.

------------------
finbar
Mono Rules!
Old June 28, 2000, 00:40   #53
East Street Trader
Prince

"Razzledazzledya" sounds good.

Have to figure out a way to do it first tho', so's I can git to use it.

BTW gotta beg for mercy. My office walls ain't soundproof and I LOLed too much for my own good over a few of the recent postings. Ease up on the funnies, guys, or you'll be gettin' me sacked!

PS Finbar. How about using the names of individuals as well the groups' names? Then there's the session musicians, the guys in the recording studio - cover artists maybe - still think there's a challenge in there somewhere. Laughing too much has wrecked my stamina tho' (also being stuck in this dreary spot at 6.45pm) so don't have the energy to work it up.
[This message has been edited by East Street Trader (edited June 27, 2000).]