Old June 12, 2001, 20:36   #1
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 10:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Thinkin' out loud....
Hmm....well, now I'm in the "dead zone" in between rounds of revisions on the guide, and I'm thinking to myself.....you know, self....there's two really cool games coming out soon....HOMM4 and Civ3.....be kinna neat to write strat guides for them as well.....sort of a series, if you will.....

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old June 12, 2001, 23:48   #2
Tai Mai Shu
Warlord

I'm planning on getting Civ3 when it comes out and I'd definitely love to read another guide by you Vel Your SMAC guide has been more than helpful and without which I'd still be stuck playing SP on Talent mode instead of Transcend.
Old June 13, 2001, 00:34   #3
Deimos
Prince

Local Time: 05:50
Here's a second vote for Civ3, at least as the first of the two. From what I have gathered so far about Civ3, it should be fairly "SMACish" in feel, e.g. they have added a "former" units, improved version of SMAC diplomacy, etc.

Therefore, a Civ3 guide would probably end up borrowing a great deal from the underlying concepts presented in your SMAC guide, and consequently, should be easier to produce. Your publisher (and fans, we are Legion, you know ) would definately appreciate that.

But, on the other hand, you may be looking for a new challange. If HoMM4, as I believe it to be (haven't had an opportunity to play any of the HoMM games), is significantly different in flavor and texture from SMAC, then doing another guide that is similar to your previous cannon may not engage your creative side in the way that you would like.

ln the end, it all boils down to one concept: producing which guide would make you happiest? Your readers will snap up and devour either work.
Old June 13, 2001, 01:53   #4
Rynn:
ACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 05:50
Or maybe send Sid M a complimentary copy of the SMAC/X guide and get blessed as the official guide producer for Civ III?

Just a thought
Old June 13, 2001, 19:01   #5
Darkstar
Prince

Local Time: 04:50
A very GOOD idea!
Old June 13, 2001, 21:51   #6
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

An outstanding idea, Rynn.....I think I'll do just that....

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old June 14, 2001, 18:34   #7
bondetamp
Prince

Local Time: 12:50
The problem, of course, is whether your civ3 guide will be as good as your current SMAX guide, if it has to hit the stores two weeks after the game release. After all, the SMAX guide is a product of countless discussions and hours of playing (or so I am led to believe, at least).

And what happens if you sign a contract to write a guide, and then it turns out that you simply don't like the game?
The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
-H. L. Mencken
Old June 16, 2001, 20:20   #8
The Commodore
Prince

Vel, if you like, I could start a petition thread to send to Jeff and Sid.
Old June 16, 2001, 21:19   #9
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Vel,

Go for it for either strat guide, specially if you can get that Sid guy to ante up and acknowledge the superlative guide master you are. Course you know most folks here are going to have a leaning towards Civ 3, (myself included). But that never stopped me from a good fantasy role play game. Think I'll go fire up a round of Diablo 2 matter fo fact.

Bond makes a good point tho' if the guide is supposed to be rather timely with the release of Civ3 then by the time you have a chance to delve into the complexities of the game the guide will be out a bit late. Perhaps if you contact Sid et.al. you should ask for the opportunity to beta Civ3 in order to get a head start. Hopefully once they see the quality of SMAC guide V3 they'll realize it is intheir best interest.

Og

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old June 17, 2001, 08:17   #10
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 13:50
Vel,
Civ 3 guide is a must, but perhaps somebody else wants to write it? Guys are enthusiastic, and want to try themselves as authors.
Old June 17, 2001, 15:20   #11
Jokka das Trevas
Chieftain

Location: Curitiba, PR - Brazil - Earth /Solar System / Known Universe
You guys can't forget about Master of Orion 3!

And sorry my ignorance, but what's HOMM3 ?
Old June 18, 2001, 19:30   #12
Velociryx
staff

Hey guys! Excellent ideas and posts all around! I like the idea of sending a complimentary copy to Sid and Company.....if they like it, perhaps they'd be interested to see what I could come up with for Civ3....if not...::shrug:: Well, I'm not writing it for them....

'bout other folks writing strategy guides: I think it's a great idea! Writing has always been, to me, a rainbow. If I can lay claim to even a single shade in that rainbow, then I'll feel as though I've accomplished something, but there's always plenty of room, and plenty other colors in the rainbow, so I say the more the merrier, where other strat guides are concerned!

And Og! There's a name I haven't seen pop up in a while! How you been, man?!

Would have responded sooner to this and other threads, but strange server problems at work have made it all but impossible to reach the site from there....::sigh::

-=Vel=-