Old July 4, 2000, 01:31   #1
Jim W
Warlord

Local Time: 23:39
Local Date: October 30, 2010
To AC once more.

Well, I just made it to Alpha Centauri again.
By sheer luck, I had a continent to myself, and just happened to luck on to a concentration at the one point where any of the other Civs would have a chance to get at me. This meant, for instance, that I was able to go Republic earlier than usual, allowing me to build a big technological lead.

To make up for this, however, my continent was divided by the 0 axis,and most of the foreign cities were on the south sides of long archipelagoes. This meant that there was no possibility of using the GoTo command to send my ships to foreign ports, but rather a constant micromanageing of every inch they sailed.

It also meant that many trips within my own kingdom must be steered one square at at time as well

It was by no means the best score I've ever done, but it was something.

And I don't feel quite confident enough to jump to the nex level of difficulty either, since I had that bit of luck with that initial placement.

However, I did manage to find out a few things about the game, though I'd still prefer a situation where I can use the GoTo command for cross-ocean trading.

Jim W
Old July 5, 2000, 00:37   #2
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 18:39
Local Date: October 30, 2010
You are fortunate. It seems to me that playing against the AI always results in one civ right on top of me (and controlling the major portion of land). A second AI civ is always alone on a large continent, to develop as the cheating thing sees fit.

Drives me crazy!