Old June 15, 2001, 02:28   #1
zibby
Settler

Local Time: 10:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Anyone know where I could find a free copy of civ II?
Hi there everyone out there, I was just wondering if anyone knew where I could get a free copy of civ II, I mean, there must be some place on the net that had it for free! Ive played civ I, and was a big fan, so Im eager to get my teeth into civII, but not all that keen on the price of bying it.
Well thanks in advance from any advice I might get!

Zibby
Old June 15, 2001, 05:57   #2
rixxe
Prince

Local Time: 11:52
This is not the right place to ask for it...
Wait for Civ 3 to be released, to ask for a free copy of Civ 2.
Old June 15, 2001, 08:27   #3
drake
King

Local Time: 06:52
If you don't think civ 2 is worth paying for, you shouldn't play it

Trust us all, it's worth buying. So stop being cheap.
Old June 15, 2001, 09:36   #4
rwprice
Warlord

Local Time: 05:52
I hope you're joking that you're not willing to pay the price for it. Come on, it's only $10 or less! If you can't pay that, you don't need to be playing it. I don't want to start a whole flame war over piracy, but at these prices, there's just no excuse to steal it. And no, it's not abandoneware--it's still currently sold in stores. Target still sells the jewel case version of Civ2 original, and I've seen MGE and ToT at Best Buy, Target, and Toys R Us.

Like Drake said, it's worth buying.
Old June 15, 2001, 10:14   #5
zibby
Settler

I don't think any game is worth paying for if you can get the same thing for free of the net (which is usually the case). If I find that a free, full version of civ II is not available on the net, then I prob will go out and buy it (depending on how much it costs), but until then, I'm not going to unnecessarily spend money. Really, with most games all your buying is the box (and maybe a lighter conscience), because normally you can find the game and manual somewhere or other on the net.

I would put a smiley type thing here, but I dont know how I can afford the extra time that means I'll have to be connect to the net, with me being so cheap and all
(before anyone is about to take me seriously, that was a joke)

Zibby
Old June 15, 2001, 10:23   #6
zibby
Settler

ok, before anyone replies to my last message, the message that said it was only $10 hadnt been posted yet. Ive got no probs paying $10 for a game, I was thinking more along the lines of $50 or so. At $10 I'll have to look out for it, but I havent really seen any places that sell it. As for the abandonware thing, I know its not abandoneware, but there are a lot of full version games on the web that arent. So if you could tell me where I could get a copy of it for $10 (Im taking thats US$, so around A$20), I'll greatly apreciate it, as most places dont have it in stock anymore Ive found

Cheers

Zibby
Old June 15, 2001, 10:41   #7
rixxe
Prince

I've found Civilization 2 MGE for $25, I think it's the best price you can have for the MG edition... Civilization 2, first edition, shouldn't cost more than $10, as it has been said...

Look there:

www.thecdromshop.com

They've got Civ2 1st edition for $30 , i now, it's expensive, but I think it's because this is the MAC version...

And consider that if you download it on a warez site, you'll get it without the animations (for the wonders & the rulers), ... sh*tty ...
Old June 15, 2001, 12:25   #8
rwprice
Warlord

As I mentioned, I've seen Civ2 available for $10 at Target. I've also seen this version offered at the same price at KMart. Here at our local Best Buy, both Civ2 MGE and Test of Time are offered for $15 each, both with the full documentation set. From the Apolyton Civ II section, you can search for the best deal, but none as cheap as $10. Nonetheless, there are reasonable prices to be found.

I disagree that you're mostly paying for the box when you buy software. Sure, you only get a CD, but the value of that CD is not merely the materials it's made of, it's the thousands of hours that went into creating the program. That's what you're paying for. By simply copying it from a warez site or a from a friend, you are robbing the author of their source of income. Are some games too expensive? You bet! And those are the ones I don't buy. If I'm not willing to pay the price, I either wait until the price comes down or I do without it. After all, none of us NEED to buy games--we do it for the fun of it. I'll bet you wouldn't be willing to give away your own hard work if you've created a piece of software at the level of Civ2. Why, then, should you take it from others?

I hope you are able to find a good deal on Civ2. I think you will, if you look hard enough. Good luck!
Old June 16, 2001, 07:06   #9
Juggler
Prince

I really didn't know that Test of Time was so cheap.
Only $15 you say? I think I'll buy it . I thought it was much more expensive.
Old June 16, 2001, 07:22   #10
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 12:52
I saw ToT for 14,95, Dutch guilders that is, so about $8. That would be without any manuals etc. I really thought I´d buy it, when I saw it, but stil decided not to. I just don´t play Civ2 as often anymore, hardly ever actually, and Civ3 will be coming out in not such a long time... Now I think of it, $8 really is nothing! Maybe I´ll buy it after all, if it´s still there.
Old June 16, 2001, 08:12   #11
The Mad Monk
Emperor

ToT is still on the shelves at CompUSA (the only Civ/SMAC titile on the shelves at CompUSA, BTW) for $14.99; I thought it was worth it for twice that amount (a year ago, when I bought it).

I don't remember where I bought Civ2--a bargain bin somewhere, probably--but it was about $15, two years ago.

I don't know about any free sources (I don't use them), but you might be able to secure a copy on E-Bay for not much more than free.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old June 16, 2001, 08:57   #12
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 12:52
What the...
A Chips&Bits banner about Test of Time just appeared saying it was $14.95, interested I clicked it (for a change, God I must love Apolyton ). And there it said it was $19.95! They´re lying!
Old June 16, 2001, 12:22   #13
marcuspeddle
Iron CiversCivilization IV PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 19:52
Buy it . . .
This is slightly off topic but I hate it when I tell people I have a great new game or CD and then they say, "Oh, can I copy it?" After paying 50 or 60 dollars for a product they expect me to let them copy it for free? I usually wait until I'm bored with the game and then loan it to them. I've pissed off a few friends like this.
Old June 17, 2001, 00:56   #14
rwprice
Warlord

I don't know if this is stocked the same around the country, but I was at our local Sam's club tonight, and they're selling Civ2 (not MGE) bundled together with Diplomacy for $8.99! I saw ToT tonight at Toys R Us for only $10. Civ2 is out there...
Old June 17, 2001, 07:11   #15
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 20:52
i saw civ 2 for $20 in a store in brisbane just last month, not the mp edition just the original civ 2....
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71