Old June 21, 2001, 11:30   #31
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 05:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Sorry Ralf, I had just been on 0 hours of sleep in 3 days, I was a little on edge. We're all Civers here and I didn't mean to come off sounding like an A-hole.

I just get frustrated when people don't understand what my ideas are. This is partly due to the fact that I am limited to typing out everything in a forum that doesn't allow real time discussion.

LOTM: Again, I didnt accurately explain my thoughts. Civ 2 is ALL about Tile Improvements, I just want to get away from that because I find that if I play an 8 hour Civ game, 6 hours is spent moving around settlers and engineers, and that isn't what civilization is about. I don't want to see just war though. I want to see a balance of everything that made Civ great. CTP's PW system was better because you could easily point and click what you wanted and where. That is more realistic than the worker/settler unit but at the same time, you couldn't go past your political control. I think a solution is out there.

Adm Naismith, I plan on creating my own mod of Civ 3 after I've played it to death. I've got one for Civ 2 that is about 60-70 percent complete, I didn't change unit graphics or sounds, I just tweaked the game play to make it more realistic in my eyes.

I have a question for Firaxis or anyone else who might know. Will there be a Food Supplies trading option in Civ 3 like in Civ 2? I hope so because that added a new dimension to the game that I think many people over looked. If you'll allow me to add a Civ 2 strategy to this forum.

I build three main core cities with no other cities sharing tiles. Then I group lots of other cities around them with only 1 or 2 tiles in between them. In each smaller city I build 3 food supplies caravans and send them to the large cities and create a trade route. This adds 1 food per turn to the core cities. By doing this on a large scale, I am effectively increasing the max city size. Here's the math: since you need 2 food to support one citizen, it takes two trade routes to increase the max city size by one. If I have 3 core cities and 100 smaller cities, the max size of the cities is increased by 50!!! The largest city I've ever had was 92 and this was without modifying the game or cheating. This also allows you to have an enormous army without wasting lots of production. But the army advantage ceases when you change Govt to Democracy. I hope I can do something similar in Civ 3!!
Old June 21, 2001, 18:53   #32
Your.Master
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by SoulAssassin

Genius, that was Ancient Rome. And he died before he ever made a working model. So if I write down an idea for a Fusion power core, then die, does that mean I invented it? NO IT DOESN'T!!!
Sorry, the guy was Greek.

A) YES, that DOES mean you invented it. Why does death destroy invention?

B) That COULD have taken off, and thus it could have been like real life. The dif. was not a problem of time of invention, but a dif. of no lost techs in civ.

C) He made 1 working model, acc. to the book I'm reading.

High Lord of Good

You are unique, just like everybody else.