Old June 20, 2001, 01:44   #31
Alex 14
Prince

Local Time: 20:54
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by KrazyHorse
Provst Harrison: The Pyramids in Civ I performed the same task that the Statue of Liberty did in Civ II. Wow. I'm talking about Civ II in the past tense.

Alex 14: Take a good, long look at the screenshot. They're both granaries, sure, but doesn't one of them look like it's falling apart or at least slightly obsolete? This screenshot's been discussed before, and I agree with the conclusion that buildings other than barracks will become obsolete and will require construction of a replacement. What, in your opinion, could the effect of multiple granaries be? There's no way they could allow it to halve the growth requirements again; such an effect would allow you to build a size 20 city from scratch in no time.
I agree, but how do you explain the second granary then?
Old June 20, 2001, 01:47   #32
Alex 14
Prince

Local Time: 20:54
Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins
I don't like your sarcastic remark.
I wasn't been sarcastic, i really didn't know that, all i knew is that was what he said when he conquered Egypt. No offence.
Old June 20, 2001, 02:02   #33
TechWins
King

Local Time: 03:54
Hey Alex14, I was just joking when I wrote "I don't like your sarcastic remark". I didn't take any offence to it and I hope you didn't either. I thought you probably knew that. Don't feel bad about not knowing it either. I just learned that in my World History class back in the Fall.
Old June 20, 2001, 02:07   #34
TechWins
King

Local Time: 03:54
I think I might have a reasonable explanation to the two granaries thing. Maybe that city had built a granary. Then after a while the Civ decided to build Pyramids which it did. So another granary was added leaving the city with two granaries. I know this is possible to have two granaries because it has happened to me more than once in Civ2. Even after you build the Pyramids the original granary isn't sold automatically or anything. So possibly when the game detected that the city had two granaries it showed two granaries in the city view or whatever that view is. Just a possibility.
Old June 21, 2001, 09:23   #35
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 11:54
I'd lay money that those are not two active versions of the same building in a functioning city. Whether its a granary next to a modern grain silo or brewery I have no idea. It could even be an example of how graphics for the same building will update over the centuries, appearing side by side with a little art package magic.
Old June 21, 2001, 10:12   #36
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

Local Time: 12:54
stadium / colosseum
It's not only the granary that's twice in this city view,
there are two colosseums in it as well. (a stadium and a colosseum)

I think it shows that 'old buildings' still have a cultural value, and for that reason won't be removed from the city.
If you have a very old city, it will contain some old buildings.

CyberShy
Old June 21, 2001, 11:06   #37
Grumbold
Emperor

That is just standard Civ syndrome for you, though. Even if you build a new city in 1950 it will still want a temple and arena for the happiness benefits and an aqueduct for growth on top of all the modern day conveniences. It isn't multiples of the same building, which was what the original post was suggesting.

To the best of my knowledge it is only the old Wonders that have a secondary benefit once their special effect has worn off....that is not to say that I wouldn't like to see a system where temples, arenas etc did become obsolete and unbuildable after other technology had been discovered, and provide a little tourism and local colour if not sold off as useless.
Old June 21, 2001, 12:12   #38
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

Local Time: 12:54
Well
That's the meaning of that city view,
to show that there are multiple versions of the same buiding.

Stadium and colosseum are nothing else then 2 versions of the same building, an old one and a new one.
Old June 21, 2001, 17:59   #39
Grumbold
Emperor

Cyber, if that was the case then there would be nothing to get excited about since it has been true since Civ 1. We were hoping that there might be the ability and the reason to build five identical schools to support a city of 30 rather than have one school work adequately for any size city.