Old June 18, 2001, 12:05   #1
Walt
Warlord

Local Time: 10:55
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Turns of AXT-042, third thread
Since the second thread was getting long in the tooth, I started a third thread.

The old thread can be found here.

As an additional note: where's the turn? Last I saw cbn sent it to Daytrippin.
Old June 18, 2001, 12:22   #2
Tenchusatsu
Warlord

Daytrippin still hasn't sent me the turn yet. I don't think he checks the admin threads, either. I'll send him an e-mail soon.
Old June 18, 2001, 13:02   #3
cbn
Prince

Local Time: 07:25
Hey gang.

I emailed daytrippin just now. I don't think he checks this board so I prompted him to ensure he received the turn. If necessary I can resend it later this afternoon.
Old June 19, 2001, 02:31   #4
Tenchusatsu
Warlord

Year 2180 to Walt.
_______

Personal Journal of Lindley, Head of the Mindworm Trainers

My relationship with the mindworms seems to have changed. They welcome me into the neural net -- sometimes they bring me in -- but I'm afraid they won't allow me to leave. And when I'm there, in their world ... I'm not sure I want to leave.

Meanwhile I have tried to contact Lady Deirdre about my new experiences, but she has been awfully hard to contact these days. She, along with Druid Tenchusatsu and the rest of the Elders, have been in very long and top secret meetings as of late. I don't know what they are discussing or arguing about, but I fear all of them have forgotten our promise to protect Planet, her ecology, and her children, the mindworms. It seems all of our bases are focused more on mining and expansion than on Planet care. Even our esteemed capital, Gaia's Landing, is disrupting the ecology so much that Planet had no choice but to retaliate with spontaneous fungal growth. What business do we have pretending to be the guardians of Planet life if our capital is hypocritically polluting the very environment we are supposed to be defending?

The mindworms cry out. Planet is hurting. And they're making me feel her pain as well. But who will listen to me?
Old June 19, 2001, 09:43   #5
cbn
Prince

I have 2180 from Walt and will play later today

-------------------------------------------------------

Foreman cbn addressed the Council of supervisors, " we understand so little of the intentions of our fellow factions on this planet. We have witnessed peace, war and diplomatic flip-flops. It appears that we have no idea what is going on out there. Continue to make peace and good relations with those that are peaceful. As for the Cult, I fear that peace and more importantly, trust that must precede any peace, is an elusive goal. "
Old June 19, 2001, 12:48   #6
cbn
Prince

2180 is done-- 2181 to daytrippin
Old June 19, 2001, 16:54   #7
Tenchusatsu
Warlord

Year 2181 to Walt.
______

Just came home during my (ahem) extended lunch hour to play this turn. Does that make me a SMAC fanatic?
Old June 19, 2001, 17:02   #8
Walt
Warlord

2181 to cbn.
____

I'd say you qualify, Tench.
Old June 19, 2001, 17:45   #9
cbn
Prince

2181 is done-- 2182 will be with the cult

Another great turnaround gang !!. . . . and Tenchusatsu . .. . I wouldn't worry its not terminal - Besides I was considering loading the game on my computer at work. . . . not a good idea if I want to get ANYTHING done.
Old June 20, 2001, 23:17   #10
Tenchusatsu
Warlord

I haven't received the turn yet, and I e-mailed Daytrippin not too long ago. cbn, maybe the turn got lost in the mail (again?).
Old June 21, 2001, 06:19   #11
cbn
Prince

Maybe he is just busy or unavailable but I am resending the turn just in case. It may be that he played and there was a disconnect on his send to you. Since we both emailed him we will know soon enough.
Old June 22, 2001, 12:59   #12
Tenchusatsu
Warlord

I still have not received the next turn from Daytrippin, nor have I received an e-mail response. This is mildly annoying, considering that earlier this week I was motivated enough to come back home from work just to play the next turn.

If I don't receive the next turn over the weekend, I suggest we eliminate the Cult and move on with just the three of us. Either that, or we can find another substitute for the Cult.
Old June 22, 2001, 19:26   #13
Walt
Warlord

Yeah, I'm kinda disappointed myself. I emailed Daytrippin as well and still haven't heard anything either.

I like your plan, Tench. If we hear nothing by Monday, though, I'd say get a replacement player. Look how quickly Stephen got one for his Hive slot in the other game. There are plenty of people ready to step up to the plate and willing to commit to fast turnarounds. I'd prefer to keep this a four-player game.

*plink, plink*

two cents duly deposited

Edit: Do we have another email address for Daytrippin besides the Polish (??) (web-based???) one? Maybe the Polish mail server's down...
Old June 22, 2001, 23:04   #14
cbn
Prince

Hey there

I am disappointed too. We go from playing two turns in 7 hours to no response in several days. There may be technical or personal reasons for this but it is still frustrating. And Tenchusatsu I understand your feelings-- I have started getting up 45 minutes earlier each morning just so I have time to play a turn if it shows up (The work out I do if there are no turns is just a bonus)

But if a couple of more days go by I am all in favor of the replacement idea. While I would love the idea of the AI taking over the Cult (salivates at the thoughts of a war against the AI) the only fair thing to do is seek a replacement. The Cult seem to be in reasonable shape even if we Drones have our differences with them. In my Hive game I got a replacement in a matter of hours.
Old June 25, 2001, 17:18   #15
NorthSwordsman
Prince

Local Time: 05:55
NewsFlash
Morning News Update from Worm News Network (WNN).

Daytrippin', the first advisor to Prophet Cha'Dawn, was found dead in his apartment early this morning. Cultic security forces suspect foul play, and are questioning several naval officers in an effort to understand the mystery surrounding the circumstances of his death.

In related news, Captain NorthSwordsman, famed leader of the squad that eliminated a group of young Free Drone soldiers attempting to invade the homeland in 2172, has been named as the new first advisor to the Prophet. The Planet Cult's inner affairs will continue as usual, and the diplomatic activities and daily management tasks will be in the the able hands of the new first advisor.

The first advisor's first task will be to exact reparations for the destruction of an unarmed transport carrying an emissary to the Free Drones on a diplomatic mission of peace.
Attached Images:

Last edited by NorthSwordsman; June 25, 2001 at 19:34.
Old June 25, 2001, 17:21   #16
NorthSwordsman
Prince

ACK!
CBN, how did you get that image to popup next to your name? Mine appeared on the bottom. .
Old June 25, 2001, 22:22   #17
Walt
Warlord

Go into your profile and choose the image as your Avatar. It'll pop up next to your name.

:-)
Old June 26, 2001, 04:36   #18
NorthSwordsman
Prince

Thanks
Thanks, Walt.
Old June 26, 2001, 04:54   #19
NorthSwordsman
Prince

2182 sent to Tench.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The first Advisor looked over the tactical situation, muttered something rude under his breath about daytrippin's lack of strategy.
Old June 26, 2001, 09:30   #20
cbn
Prince

Is it that bad?? Well I may have to try to press an attack then (or is Northswordsman trying to lure me with disinformation ??)hmmmm . . . . much to ponder.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Drones were heartened to hear of a change of leadership in the Cult but were immediately saddened by the attitudes of the new first advisor. The cult has had a string of leaders each of which had seen fit to further insult the Drones. Knowhow2 was the mastermind of the Massacre of 2172 when a group of voyagers were brutally attacked without warning or provocation. The new leader, daytrippin attempted to land a worm on the Drone homeland despite repeated warnings not to load troops on vessels in range of the Drone coast.

Now the new first advisor seeks reparations for the destruction of a troopship carrying a worm within striking distance of the Drone empire . With attitudes such as these it appears that a continued war is inevitable.
Old June 26, 2001, 12:29   #21
Tenchusatsu
Warlord

Year 2182 to Walt.
_______

"Mortimer ... we're back!"
Old June 26, 2001, 12:30   #22
knowhow2
King

Local Time: 11:55
Well seems like I put my trust on the wrong person..........
anyway, sorry for all rpoblems related to this mess.

alan
Old June 26, 2001, 14:14   #23
Walt
Warlord

It appears the problems we were having arose on daytrippin's receiving side. I'm guessing his reply-to address had problems accepting file attachments. So, it wasn't so much a matter of trust as of technical problems. Communications could have been better, though. But that's something one learns by doing.

In any case, we're under way again.

How's the vacation going, Alan?

________

2182 to cbn.
Old June 26, 2001, 17:20   #24
cbn
Prince

2182 is done and 2183 is on the way to the Cult

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The Free Drones are proud to announce the completeion of the Neural Amplifier. It is felt that this device will be a key in allowing Drone troops to survive the attacks of Cultist worms.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also in accordance with accepted policy, I am announcing that I have called an election for governor. The candidates are myself and Lal and the status of the voting when I passd it was

Total cbn 116 Lal 90

Votes by faction

Lal 90 ----- Lal
cbn 82---- cbn
cyborgs 34---- cbn
Saniago 26---- abstain
Walt 23 -------- ?
Cult 20 -------- ?
Tenchusatsu 34-- ?
Old June 26, 2001, 18:39   #25
NorthSwordsman
Prince

2183 sent to Tench.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Planet Cult abstains from voting due to unfamiliarity of the current political situation.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WNN report: The Planet Cult is requesting a peace treaty between the Drones and the Cult. The misunderstandings between the two factions are regretted by the First Advisor.
Old June 26, 2001, 23:14   #26
Tenchusatsu
Warlord

Year 2183 to Walt.
_______

"In the election of Planetary Governor, the nation of Gaia's Stepdaughters, with her land of lush green forests, rolling hills, calm seas, and beautiful sunsets ... the paragon of economic efficiency and environmental friendliness ... friend of the native Mind Worms ... developer of the Human Genome Project ... model of non-lethal law enforcement ... home of the brave, the bold, the beautiful, the hard-working, intelligent, courageous, humble, dignified --

"OW! All right, all right."

" We cast our 34 votes to Foreman cbn of the Free Drones."
Old June 27, 2001, 10:22   #27
Walt
Warlord

2183 to cbn.
_____
Old June 27, 2001, 22:03   #28
NorthSwordsman
Prince

Turn 2184 sent to Tench.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Offical update: First Advisor NorthSwordsman is saddened that the leader of the drones, CBN, has chosen not to reply to peace offerings. The Planet Cult is pondering their next course of action against the unresponsive Drone leadership.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old June 27, 2001, 23:36   #29
Tenchusatsu
Warlord

Year 2184 to Walt.
_______

Year 2184 Report
Gaian Foreign Relations Minister

Our foreign relations have taken a turn for the positive. We have recently signed a peace treaty with the militaristic Spartans. Their new attitude of glasnost was a delightful surprise to our diplomats, considering their prior disdain for what they saw as our spoiled lifestyles. Moreover, we still maintain healthy trade and commerce relations with all of the other factions, save the Cyborgs who are still technically at war with us. The Defense Minister can tell us more.

Year 2184 Report
Gaian Defense Minister

The continuous flow of intelligence we are getting from the Cyborg datalinks indicate that we have little to fear from the Cyborg military, save a possible marine landing near our northern colonies. Nevertheless, we have concluded that our current defense forces are more than sufficient to handle any Cyborg invasion. Some of my advisors suggests that we should take the initiative and land troops on their continent. But Lady Deirdre would hear none of it, arguing that we are pacifists by nature, not conquistadors.

One faction that we should be watching out for is the Free Drones. Although they are peaceful and honorable, I fear the global balance of power may tip toward them in the coming years for several reasons:

1) They have the industrial might to crank out a huge military at a moment's notice.

2) According to our recently obtained maps, they have lots of open land near their outlying bases, meaning they can easily build new colonies and expand them quickly with their Planetary Transit System.

3) Their recent construction of the Neural Amplifiers effectively reduces the deterrent of mindworms attacking their troops or their cities. In the short term, this means the Cult's armies cannot effectively check the Drone's potential to expand. In the long term, this means our military will be less of a threat, forcing us to build more conventional forces should we ever find ourselves in an arms race with the Drones. And it is no secret that our conventional forces are not as well-trained as those of any other faction.
Old June 28, 2001, 09:13   #30
Walt
Warlord

2184 to cbn.
_____

With a flourish, CEO Walt signed the check that paid for the completion of the first of his small faction's tree farms. Others would follow in two-yearly increments. Although the early years had proven trying, with sanctions leveled by the Planet inter-faction council for a misunderstanding regarding handling of drone affairs, the economy was reasserting itself, and Walt looked forward to a future of peace and prosperity.