Tenchusatsu
Warlord

Local Time: 10:55
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Year 2203 to Walt.
_______

Personal Log of Florence, Mindworm Trainer
Isle of the Deep, somewhere off the coast of the Cyborg mainland

We recently made contact with a wild IoD in the sea fungus off the southern coast of the Cyborg mainland. My talents proceeded to make psionic contact with the worms, as usual. We were well aware that we had little chance of succeeding because of the Druid's Pop Boom program. That meant that we have temporarily put aside our Green economy and our close connection to Planet's essence.

However, we were totally unprepared for the powerful reaction we would receive from the native worms. Usually when we fail to capture the worms, at least we make some sort of psionic connection before it fizzles like a fading radio signal. But this time my talents and I were physically thrown backwards by the psionic shock we received from them. It was like running into a brick wall. No, actually we weren't really running into the wall; it was more like the wall actually ran right into us at 100 km/hr. Luckily we recovered just in time to command our own IoD worms to sail away out of range of the native IoD.

When I asked my talents what happened, they told me that a vastly more powerful mind seemed to be directing that particular IoD. Our lookout personnel did not see any human worm trainers guiding the IoD, nor did we detect any psionic signatures of any other faction emanating from it. My first suspicion would be that Prophet Cha Dawn of the Cult is responsible for this, but I doubt even his people are capable of controlling IoD worms without trainers nearby.

I shall report this to Lady Deirdre at once. She'll know what to do from here.
_______

Personal Log, Year 2203
Lady Deirdre Skye

For some odd reason, I cannot communicate with Planet anymore. I am desperate to continue our conversations, for the Planet neural net holds vastly more information than all of the Network Nodes of Planet put together. I sit in my private quarters for hours at a time, meditating, concentrating on nothing but re-establishing contact, but all I get is silence.

Meanwhile, Lindley reports that several mindworm trainers have encountered wild mindworms recently at an increased rate. Not only that, but they encountered unusually heavy psionic resistance. All of them describe it as "a vastly more powerful mind seeminly directing these particular native lifeforms." Whatever that mind is, it sure isn't human. I even contacted our Cultist diplomats residing here in Gaia's Landing, and they don't know what is going on.

Furthermore, one of our transports off the coast of Lucky Autumn was just sunk by a mindworm attack. What is more troubling is that judging from the final transmissions from the transport commander, the attacking mindworms were airborne, not an IoD as one would usually expect coming from the seas. No one on Planet has ever encountered any airborne mindworms before, so this is a troubling development indeed.

Oh Gaia, what is going on here? Only Planet holds the answers, but I can't get in touch with her. This is most distressing.
Old July 15, 2001, 18:42   #124
cbn
Prince

Local Time: 07:25
Turn 2203 is done-- 2204 dawns on the Cult
Old July 15, 2001, 18:45   #125
NorthSwordsman
Prince

Local Time: 05:55
2204 to the Gaians.
Old July 15, 2001, 20:52   #126
NorthSwordsman
Prince

First Advisor's personal log:

I've received some disturbing information from Druid Tenchusatsu of the Gaians. He forwarded to me a report from one Florence, an IOD mindworm trainer, and reports from Lindley and Lady Dierdre concerning contacts with an "vastly more powerful mind" that seems to be directing some mindworms. Disturbing, but not unexpected.

The Prophet has been warning me for months now that this would be happening, that Planet is finally awakening, whatever that means. I'm still mystified by all this. Cha'Dawn has tried and tried, but I fear he just cannot get the idea across. Either that, or I'm not getting the concept. I wish I knew what was happening.

The Gaians actually thought WE were controlling those worms. How flattering they think we have that kind of power over Planet. Cha'Dawn seems to in some strange way, but he cannot be everywhere at once. I wish we could, then all of our troubles would be over, indeed. But, alas, not in the way we wish for.....

Still, Planet is awakening. What does the future hold for us? What does this mean? The Prophet has yet to reveal his entire plan to me. The only thing I can do is prepare our group for anything. Those strange exercises the Prophet has us doing... are connected in some way with this. All I do is wait and see. Looks like the grave consequences we have been warning the factions about are beginning to occur. I pity those who are not in tune with Planet as we are...
Old July 15, 2001, 23:07   #127
Tenchusatsu
Warlord

Year 2204 to Walt.
_______

Annual Report to Lady Deirdre
Lindley, Head of the Mindworm Trainers

We have located the airborne Mindworms hiding in the sea fungus just off the coast of Lucky Autumn. We first sent our Unity scout chopper (the one which curiously requires no refueling) to judge our odds of communicating or resisting the worms. Unfortunately, the Very Green chopper pilot got too close and quickly succumbed to the nightmarish psi attack of the worms. Fortunately his copilot kept his senses long enough to steer the chopper toward the swarm of flying worms and took out a good number in a kamakaze fashion.

I then psionically contacted the closest IoD trainer to and told her to go to the location and do whatever it takes to communicate, capture, or eliminate the swarm. She was unable to make psionic contact, but her trainers succeeded in eliminating the swarm. Unfortunately, the cost was high: one Transport, one Scout Chopper, and one Supply Crawler all fell to this one swarm.

However, we have some good news to report. We encountered another one of these fearsome swarms off the coast of the Free Drone mainland. Either by luck or by Gaia's will, our trainers successfully captured the swarm. Sharon, the psi talent who is now the controller of this particular swarm, has come up with an appropriate name for it: The Locusts of Chiron. She also believes that these particular Locusts were on their way toward attacking the Drone factories. However, I'm not sure if the Locusts would have caused as much damage to the Drones as we suffered, considering that the Drones possess the Neural Amplifier.

My talents and I are meditating constantly these days trying to learn more about these new Locusts of Chiron. I suggest you continue your attempts to re-establish psionic contact with Planet and find out where these Locusts came from and what their purpose is. Until then, all of civilization on Planet is potentially threatened by the power of the Locusts.
Old July 16, 2001, 08:44   #128
Walt
Warlord

2204 to cbn.
Old July 16, 2001, 10:14   #129
cbn
Prince

Will play thie evening as usual

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

exerpt from the Free Drone National Enquirer

Government officials today offered no comment on allegations that the Drone society has actually been modelled on the Drones in a work of fiction known as "Brave New World" by Huxley. In that novel, drones were portrayed as happy workers who only lived to procreate, work and ingest more of the happiness-inducing drug known as "soma".

Noted expert Tellya Whatyawannahere indicates that analysis of blood and urine of a cross section of the Free Drone citizenry shows a compound that he cannot identify and which could be the drug known as "soma". He said "it is entirely possible that this compound is soma or other behaviour altering drug". THis raises the spectre that the Free Drone government has been drugging the citizenry.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exerpt from the daily Free Drone press conference later that day

" Any comment on the Enquirer story about soma?"

" Several comments actually. It is a ridiculous fabrication. The expert cited has no background in pharmacology and has been cited by them as an expert on UFO's, vampires, the Freshwater Sea monster and spiritual healing. And even with him they had to edit the comment. we have obtained the full transcript of what he actually said"

"it is entirely possible that this compound is soma or other behaviour altering drug, I don't really know. I did show the chemical formulae to my pharmacist and he said it loked like a common cough suppressant which is sold worldwide by Morgan Pharmaceuticals. But if you want me to say its POSSIBLE sure I can say that, 500 credits right ??"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

In a room deep within Free Drone University

" AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH"

"What is it?"

"Sir, Smithson screamed and passed out. His brain wave patterns don't look right either. "

" Care for him as best you can. All resources at your disposal. I feared that we would be unable to contact the mindworms. Out of our entire population we have tried everyone with a high psi rating but no luck"

" Sir, I'll put him in the ward with the others. You know sir that most of them never wake up"

" I know son , I know"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The intelligence chief read the vid-message. He was unsuprised at the failure. Reports indicated that the average Drone citizen had a psi rating of 50 compared with a Gaian average of 114 and th Cult of 123. The mind worm trainers were reported to be even higher, with indications that the best trainers had psi ratings over 450. In all their searching , the best Drone citizen had a psi rating of a mere 126.

He picke up the latest economic efficiency reports . No matter what they tried, energy was lost. Higher efficiency was not possible. The chief feared that the Free Drones might never attain the ability to "go Green"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old July 16, 2001, 10:27   #130
NorthSwordsman
Prince

WNN Newsflash:

Cult Military officals confirmed today that a former military officer, Robert Harkness, has defected to the Free Drones, requesting political aslyum.

Harkness was the former commander of the 1st Worm Battalion, with the rank of Major until he was stripped of his rank and reassigned to the North Continent over violations of a Military Order.

An unnamed source says that Harkness left behind personal logs that implicated him in a plot against the Prophet and his First Advisor. There will be a press release shortly from the First Advisor.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vidnews Press Conference:

First Advisor Northswordsman:

Fellow citizens, I have requested that our diplomats at Free Drone Central ask the Free Drone government to hand over Robert Harkness for crimes against the state and sedition.
Old July 16, 2001, 18:23   #131
cbn
Prince

2204 to the Cult
Old July 16, 2001, 18:47   #132
NorthSwordsman
Prince

2205 to the Gaians.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planet Cult Press Briefing:

To date, we still have not heard from the Free Drones concerning the whereabouts of Robert Harkness. We expect the Free Drones to be forthcoming with information on this subversive in the very near future in the spirit of the treaty between our two factions.
Old July 16, 2001, 22:11   #133
Tenchusatsu
Warlord

Year 2205 to Walt.
_______

Personal Log, Year 2205
Druid Tenchusatsu, First Advisor to Lady Deirdre

Well, I'm personally going to be responsible for starting Planet War I.

No, I take that back. Lady Deirdre has authorized me to initiate actions against our nearby non-Pact neighbors. At first, her sudden transformation from a dove to a hawk startled me. It's not that I'm opposed to war myself. Sometimes fighting for what you believe in is better than allowing humankind to descend back to the folly of old Earth. I've often reminded Lady Deirdre in the midst of her former pacifism of my view. As a nation, we certainly have a strong foundation of values and doctrine. But mere good intentions are not enough; we must be ready to pay the ultimate price in order to advance our cause.

So instead of objecting to the very idea of war itself, I questioned Lady Deirdre's timing. For one, our nation is not equipped for war. Except for the minor skirmish here and there, most of our citizens have never known true war. I suspect some may even have trouble punching a grain bag, much less firing a Particle Impactor. We've lived out our lives dedicated to Wealth, research, and domestic improvements for so long that we've forgotten what it means to give up our own lives fighting for a cause. The exception would be the brave sailors of our flagship, the Sword of Gaia, but even she is but one war vessel out of many other nations no doubt have built. And we have not commissioned any new warships since she first set sail.

The other reason why I questioned Lady Deirdre's timing is the relative stability of the world political climate. For many years now, we have enjoyed a Planet-wide peace. Lady Deirdre herself once held the notion that citizens of different nations representing different societal beliefs could coexist together and work toward a common goal for all of humanity. And just when it seems her vision could actually come to fruition, she changes her mind. Like I said before, I don't question her reversal, just the timing.

Then she told me her reasons. She was able to re-establish contact with Planet after a mysterious two-year silence. What she told me would require a whole new log entry, but suffice to say for now that the sudden appearance of the Locusts of Chiron was not a random occurrence ...
Old July 17, 2001, 08:37   #134
cbn
Prince

Prsoner Status Report

Re Harkness, Robert

Charges Pending

Article 303 Murder with Special Circumstances
Article 304 Attempted Murder
Article 607 Public Intoxication
Article 712 Assault
Article 712 Assault
Article 712 Assault
Article 712 Assault
Article 713 Alarming the foreman
Article 892 Acts against the State
Bylaw 17 Driving an unregistered vehicle
Bylaw 19 Driving without a drivers licence
Bylaw 23 Driving erratically and without due caution
Bylaw 24 Failing to signal a left turn

Trial on all acounts set for January 2005.

Other notes

Extradition request on unspecified charges from the Planet Cult. Status Pending

Form 12 denial of Access to a Prisoner

Sent from 4th Assistant Corrections officer to the Office of First Advisor Northswordsman

Dear Sirs/Madame

We have received your request for access to prisoner Robert Harkness but are unable to allow access at this time. Mr Harkness is being held without access privileges as is standard policy for all persons charged with a capital offense

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Diplomatic note from External affairs to First Advisor Northswordsman

Honored sir.

Your request for the extradition of one Robert Harkness has been received and will receive full consideration. Mr. Harkness now stands charged with one count of Murder, 3 counts of attempted murder and assorted other charges in relation to an incident here. Mr Harkness jumped clear of a bomb laden vehicle just moments before he crashed it in to the guard gate at our parliament building, killing one person and injuring 3 more severly. When security forces apprehended Mr Harkness he assaulted them and had to be brought down with neural whips.

Sir, I give you this level of detail so that you might understand our position. Our population is demanding that this criminal be tried and punished here. Given the nature of the charges, it is unlikely that Mr Harkness will ever be outside a Free Drone Punishment sphere again. I trust this is satisfactory.

External Minister Kissov

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile deep inside Arrggh Prison

" Come on Harkness, with what you did the public is screaming for your bllod. Contact a worm for us and the sentence could be commuted"

"No, No (Sob) I don't want to go near a worm again. They get in your mind and never leave you alone with your thoughts again"

---

" Sir it seems that Harkness has lost it. He just babbles incoherently about needing to kill someone. he names pretty much every leader on Planet at different times and some that have been dead for years. Its a sad case"

"Its never nice to see a man in this condition. I'll try to influence the prosecutor to commute the penalty"

"You mean --- "

" Yes , I will call in some favors and try to ensure that the penalty is immediate death. I was never a fan of "death by extreme torture" but supervisors in favor of it always seem to get elected.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old July 17, 2001, 09:39   #135
Walt
Warlord

2205 to cbn. :-)
______

"Death by Extreme Torture! A Pay-per-View Event!"
- Ad copy, Morganvision Pay-Per-View
Old July 17, 2001, 23:13   #136
cbn
Prince

Turn 2205 done-2206 to the Cult

A diplomatic message was sent to the leaders of the factions of Planet
---------------------

Honored Leaders

I feel it is my duty to raise the issue of an airspace convention. The Gaians are in control of at least one locust and saw fit to fly it through the Drone heartland blockading at one point our legitmate harvest of resources in a base radii.. Since our heartland is not on the direct route to anywhere, we view this action as troubling. Any look at a map will reveal that the Locust had no need to be in the area and in fact there are no Gaian territory for over 20 tiles.

We therefore propose a general rule that no one shall overfly the territory of another without their permission. Factions are free to make any arrangement they choose to permit overflights. If a faction chooses to shoot down an encroaching plane, there would be no censure from any signatory to this convention.

It is unfortunate that this convention may be needed. But sources have indicated that wars are likely and I believe it is in all our best interest to establish that any faction has the right to defend the sovereignty of their lands.

I look forward to your responses and hope that we may quickly come to a convention that is acceptable to all.

Foreman cbn

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

News release

Convicted murderer and terrorist Robert Harkness was executed today. His execution, by a single laser shot through the head, was performed before only 3 members of the Free Drone justice commission. This execution has been roundly condemned by right wing elements claiming that it only shows that the foreman is soft on crime. While the statute clearly contemplates lengthy periods in the punishment sphere before execution, records indicate that no death row inmate has been sentenced to torture in over 32 years.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Newsflash

Reports indicate that the Free Drones have ben overtaken by the Gaians in both population and the overall ranking of a factions "power". Government officials countered by pointing out that such statsitics are meaningless and that the Free Drones remain as a strong an powerful nation. Analysts are noting the decline of the Free Drones and the rising power of the Gaians, citing the locust incident. They believe that the flying of the locust across Drone lands highlights the Drones ability to be effective militarily

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Memo

To: All commanders

The recent intrusion into our airspace has caused great concern. You are hereby directed to increase the readiness of all troops so that we may make similar demonstrations of our abilities. You are further ordered to increase the sensor net in and around our lands . We anticipate that through your efforts we shall have troops with the best morale on all of Planet.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by cbn; July 18, 2001 at 11:53.
Old July 18, 2001, 11:56   #137
Walt
Warlord

Hey everyone.

Randy emailed me from his wife's email account to indicate he's having terminal isp problems at home. He may be out of commission for a little while. He's working on the issue and will switch providers if his doesn't clear up the problems pretty darn quick. Look for him to be back soon.

There will, however, be some delay in the game as a result.

Just passing on the news...

_____

As for fly-overs, I have to get used to the idea of anyone actually flying first before I can respond to the policy request...

_____

Morgan Industries (AP) - Morgan Biolabs today announced the founding of a new subsidiary, Locust Airways. Negotiations are underway with the Gaians to provide locusts that could be converted to accomodate passenger travel.

"We're still in the exploratory stages," said a spokesman for the company, " but the possibilities are amazing!" The spokesman offered no comment on the possibility of routine locust flights between Planet's major capitals by Mission Year 2220.
Old July 18, 2001, 19:57   #138
Tenchusatsu
Warlord

Thanks for the update, Walt. I was wondering why I couldn't get my daily SMAC fix from Randy.

Just to let you guys know in advance, in about two weeks or so, I'll be away from my home computer for days at a time due to work. If I'm lucky, I'll be able to install SMAC/X on my work-issued laptop. Then I can download and upload turns from a computer at work and perform my turns on the laptop. Otherwise, I'll probably only be able to play one or two turns per weekend and none during the weekdays.

I'll know for sure next week. I'd hate to give up my game to someone else at this point.
_______

Transcript of Vid-Comm Conversation
To: Locust Trainer Sharon, somewhere off the coast of the Free Drone mainland

(Sharon face is showing through the vid-screen, and it appears that she is flying. Many Locust tails are coiled around Sharon's arms and legs in an effort to keep her short body suspended in mid-air.)

S: Reporting in, Lady Deirdre, just like you asked me to.
D: Uh, Sharon, do you realize what you just did?
S: No, what?
D: You flew over the Free Drone mainland with the Locusts under your command.
S: Oh, that. I've never flown before, and I thought I'd do a little sightseeing. Wow, you should see the Drone bases and factories from a thousand meters up in the air!
D: Don't you realize what consequences your actions are bringing even at this moment? Foreman CBN just contacted the Druid and me about the intrusion into their airspace. CBN was upset, to put it lightly. His citizens were alarmed at the sight of your locusts. Furthermore, the Drone armies were put on high alert because the commanders thought they were being invaded, and with good reason. All this just because you wanted to do a little "sightseeing"?!?
S: I'm ... sorry, my Lady. I ... er ... wasn't thinking. I guess I just got carried away. I mean, I've never flown before. And I remember back in elementary school when I read the books about Old Earth flying machines. You know, the kind that we don't have here on Planet? I would often dream about how wonderful it must have been to be in one of those machines. And now I'm actually flying, and my dreams are coming true! All the people down there look so small, it just like looking at living dolls walking back and forth between their little dollhouses, it was just so amazing, so cute, so --
D: OK, OK, that's enough. So it's your first time flying. I can understand that. But in the future, don't fly over the Drone mainland ever again. And don't fly through any other nation's airspace, either, except those of our pactmates. This is perhaps our only chance to study the Locusts up close, and I'd hate to see you and the Locusts shot down just because you want to do a little joyriding. You're lucky the Drones aren't prone to shooting first and asking questions later. I guarantee you that other factions WILL. Do you understand?
S: Yes, Lady Deirdre, I understand.
D: Good. ... Consider yourself reprimanded. Lady Deirdre out.
Old July 18, 2001, 21:44   #139
cbn
Prince

Allen

It appears that we might both have some temporary delays in playing at around the same time. I am moving in mid-August ( only crossing 9/10 of the width of North America LOL). I am going on a house-hunting trip to Calgary and doubt I will be able to play at all for about 5 days, July 25-29 inclusive. I also expect a 2-3 day period where I will be unable to play when getting set up around the 20th of August (need a new ISP for one thing-- no more slow phone connection--Yahoo!!).

Given the stage of the game, and the fact that our delays will be overlapping, I do not want to get a replacement and don't expect you to either. All 4 of us have been real reliable and both your situation and mine are a short-term inconvenience. To me its no different than Walts move earlier this year or Randy's current ISP problems. Real life intrudes sometimes and as long as the time period is reasonable, my vote is to play on when you can.

Randy. . . . walt do you folks see it the same way ?? Abreak might even be welcome.
Old July 19, 2001, 10:04   #140
Walt
Warlord

Well said, Stephen. Given the nature of the game, it's unreasonable not to expect its progress to be interrupted once in a while. I don't expect, and don't desire, for either of you to get replacements. FYI, I'll be traveling from the 27th of this month through around the 3rd of August or so, so I'll be unable to play during that time. Sounds like that won't be all that much of an inconvenience given the other absences.
____

Also, Randy's isp is still down, so he expects to switch to another today. We should see him back online later today if all works well.
Old July 19, 2001, 11:46   #141
NorthSwordsman
Prince

I'm Back! Switched from one local isp to another one, got online in less than 3 hours after signing up with the other one. Great!

I;ll have to read the storylines later. Have a buttload of mail and games to do... :-/. It's great being backonline.

Turn to Tench!
Old July 19, 2001, 16:29   #142
Tenchusatsu
Warlord

Year 2206 to Walt.
_______

To: Druid Tenchusatsu, First Advisor to Lady Deirdre

Druid, have you noticed the Secret Project reports? It seems the Drones are building a Cloudbase Academy and a Cyborg Factory, two projects with frighteningly militaristic capabilities. Combined, they'll make our Maritime Control Center look like a Children's Creche.

Speaking of which, the Cloudbase Academy project seems especially curious to me. Have the Drones actually been able to achieve flight?
Old July 19, 2001, 17:04   #143
Walt
Warlord

2206 to cbn.
Old July 19, 2001, 19:03   #144
NorthSwordsman
Prince

Offical Planet Cult Press Release:

While we understand that Robert Harkness deservedly met his fate by being executed, we must protest in the strongest possible terms the refusal of the Drones to release this criminal to us to be tried for his crimes. The matter should have been brought before the Council for arbitration due to the nature of the dispute; Mr. Harkness first committed crimes against the Planet Cult before the actions he committed against the Free Drones.

We must also protest the actions of a minor "prison" offical in refusing our diplomats the right to see one of our citizens being held by a foreign power. We request that the council bring sanctions against the Free Drones for abrogating the basic right of counsel for the accused, thus committing a minor atrocity.

Offical Planet Cult Press Release:

The Planet Cult rejects the idea of an "airspace convention", noticing that such rights as "airspace" are already included within the borders of a faction. Thus, adding regulation upon regulation for the sake of protecting one's borders is to demonstrate the denying of the right to free movement for any faction. Reasonable right of passage cannot be refused by any faction for any reason whatsoever.
Old July 19, 2001, 19:06   #145
NorthSwordsman
Prince

Guys, No problem about the delays. I would not want to see any of you replaced at all, I am enjoying this game wayyyy too much for that. I can live with the delays.
Old July 19, 2001, 21:08   #146
cbn
Prince

2206 is done and 2207 dawns on the Cult

Flight ?-- would I have planes and not mention it LOL?

Channel 10 News

We are proud to report two major Free Drones Accomplishments. The Cloudbase Academy was completed in 2206 and Channel 1o has learned that the Cyborg Factory is slated for completion in 2207. In a prepared statement the foreman stated " We are very proud of the CBA and hope soon that our food, energy and mineral production can be carried out in space and without polluting Planet. I have no comment on any other possible ongoing Secret projects".

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Diary of foreman cbn

The people got quite a scare when that locust danced through our lands. Maybe the Gaians thought we could not shoot it down . . . . That plus the consistent rumblings about war on Planet means that I have to do something. This Cyborg thingamajig that the military wants should mean that we have the happiest troops on Planet. They tell me that a happy troop is even better in fighting off attack.

I was real proud to see that Cloudbase Academy finished . . . . To see my nephew zooming around up there with the rest of the cadets filled me with so much pride . . . . I only hope that the scientists are right and that this discovery means we can quickly start producing food in space . . . . Those Gaians are right-we have to protect this Planet . . . .

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Diplomatic message to the leaders of Planet

We have been provided intelligence that indicates that some of you are attacking the Consciousness. This faction has been a long-time friend of the Free Drones and we would much prefer that they been left in peace. However, our intelligence information is scanty a nd we have not yet ascertained which faction was the agressor in this conflict.

In the same spirit that caused us to explain ourselves when fighting the Cult, we ask all warring factions to indicate the cause of this war and to confirm that they are not undertaking campaigns of imperial aggression. You are all requested to send a diplomatic note to council explaining your actions and intentions. It is my belief that it is the role of council to try to put an end to such disputes

The Free Drones have noted that the Gaians have overtaken them in many measures of factional power but only hope that they have gained the wisdom to use that power in peacedful means.

As to the case of the Cultist citizen executed on free Drone soil, we can confirm that it is the policy of the Free Drones that persons will be tried and punished for their crimes on our soil before extradition requests will be considered. As for the denial of access to him, the Cult national was guilty of a terrorist act against the Free Drone state. Terrorists have NO right of consultation with members of a foreign state.

Last edited by cbn; July 20, 2001 at 06:22.
Old July 20, 2001, 03:45   #147
NorthSwordsman
Prince

2207 to the Gaians.
Old July 20, 2001, 05:57   #148
Tenchusatsu
Warlord

Year 2207 to Walt.
_______

To: Gaian Defense Minister

I understand that you expressed concern over the recent Intellectual Golden Ages which have been popping up across the mainland and on some of our expansion bases as well. You need not worry at this moment. Yes, I know that our troops continue to suffer in morale. But you told me yourself that you'd rather wait for the military structures like the Bioenhancement Centers to be built before fielding a large army. And there is no way we can rapidly develop this sort of infrastructure without an enhanced economy.

Trust me, once we start training actual soldiers, we'll end our Golden Ages and our focus on Wealth, shifting instead to wartime production. By then our troops should be well-trained and powerful enough to overcome the inherent defensive advantages that the Peacekeepers have thanks to their Citizens' Defense Force.
_______

Press Report

We hear rumors that a major counterintelligence project is nearing completion. Stay tuned.
Old July 20, 2001, 07:34   #149
NorthSwordsman
Prince

Transcript of Planet Cult Press Briefing:

Press Secretary Karmytin:

As of today, The Prophet has made an unilateral decision to recall our diplomatic envoys from the Free Drone capital, Free Drone Central, in protest to the infringing of our sovereign rights regarding a citizen who was recently executed over an unproven attack of "terrorism". The Free Drone faction has not presented any proof to us that Robert Harkness was the instigator or the person responsible for this so-called attack. Until proven otherwise, we must believe that the Drones staged this "act of terror".

The Prophet also wishes to say that the recent completion of the Cloudbase Academy and the completion of the Bioenhancement Centers by the Free Drones is of major concern. This only reinforces the belief that the Free Drones are engaged in a war of imperialistic conquest of this planet.

The Prophet rejects the call of Foreman Cbn for the council to mediate in the dispute between the Conciousness faction and others. Seeing how the Foreman controls the council, we have no confidence in the council's ability to mediate any matter.

Futhermore, we see the Foreman's warning about imperialistic expansion as pure hypocrisy. We believe that any and all factions have the right to determine their own destiny, and no one may infringe on such rights.

WNN reporter: Secretary, does this mean a declaration of war with the Free Drones?

Karmytin: No, it does not. It merely serves as a major warning to the Drones not to interfere with the other factions on Planet.

Reporter: What happens if the Drones do not heed this warning?

Karmytin: That is entirely up to the Prophet and the First Advisor. I have not been briefed on this subject.

Reporter: What are our plans to counteract the military advantages of the Drones?

Karmytin: No comment. This briefing is concluded.

(Karmytin leaves to the shout of many questions from reporters.)
Old July 20, 2001, 09:11   #150
cbn
Prince

Diary of Foreman cbn

Oh my-- those Cultists-- this reminds me of the Cuban missile crisis back in ancien Earth-- the Soviets stood in council and stated there was no proof and then the U. S. trotted out the proof.-- I just don't get those Cult folks. . . One of their citizens attacks us and they somehow make us out to blame.

And this agression bit is laughable. They attack us years ago and we desist from our attacks when we are WINNING the war. Other than that one war we have fought nobody yet we are the imperial aggressors-- it would be funny if it were't just so stupid--

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dispatch from the Free Drones to the Planet Cult

Your call for proof has been heard. As the act of terrorism took place at a very public place and a popular tourist destination , you will find that the proof is quite extensive.

1. Signed affidavits from 14 Free Drone military personnell, 3 police officers and 87 Free drone citizens

2. Videotaped statements from
a) 15 Consciousness citizens
b) 8 Morganite citizens
c) 6 Cult citizens including 3 members of your clergy
d) 2 Gaian

3. Video feed from 8 security cameras

4. Video stills from 67 independent sources-- the originals of which are with the original picture takers

5. the live feed of Channel 10 News-- the incident occurred while they were doing a location shoot and both the attack and capture were carried live.

6. DNA testing on the vehicle and bomb fragments- we have enclosed the report and a small portion of these fragments

The Planet Cult have stated this man to be a criminal and implicated in various nefarious activities. Our proof is unequivocal and we merely exercized our sovereign rights within our own boundaries. We have attempted to be reasonable in this matter.

As for claims of imperial aggression, this is a laughable suggestion coming as it does from the Cult. Our only war EVER has been merely a response to Cult aggression. AT that time we heard the concerns about conquest raised by the Gaians and agreed to peace. We are merely raising the same concerns. The Consciousness have been our peaceful friends for many many years and they are claiming to be victims of aggression. We just had hoped to hear the positions of the other combatants before putting a view before council AND coming to our own views as a sovereign nation.

We continue to hope for peace between us and remind you of your treaty obligations. We have faithfully followed our treaty to the letter and expect your continued adherence as well.