Old August 5, 2001, 15:15   #181
Walt
Warlord

Local Time: 10:55
Local Date: October 31, 2010
2211 to cbn.
______

Stocks continued their slide today as Morganite bases maintained their trend of mysteriously vanishing...

Randy, I sent you an email.

Guys, I was gone for a day longer than expected in my outside estimates and only managed to play the turn just now. Sorry for the delay. Spendin' time with my Sweetie!
Old August 5, 2001, 21:25   #182
cbn
Prince

Local Time: 07:25
2212 to Randy for eradication

Walt, I wouldn't mind holding the bases but for now its hit and run.
Old August 5, 2001, 23:31   #183
NorthSwordsman
Prince

Local Time: 05:55
The Planet Cult has been obiberated, except for one base that had a worm that had already moved. I released the worm into the wild, INSIDE the base. Hopefully, it will destroy the base. If not, then whoever can get to it can destroy it. The password, if needed is "spore".

-------------------------------------------------
Press release, Planet Cult:

To all leaders, all factions, all inhabitants of Planet.

Following the orders of the Prophet, the citizens of the Planet Cult have taken the opportunity to become one with Planet's awakening neural net, as a sacrifice, in the hopes of averting disaster to the remnant of mankind. Planet is awakening, and is angry with the intrusion of mankind upon it's body. The Prophet and the members of the Planet Cult wish the best for mankind, that it may find it's eventual purpose upon this beautiful world created for us.

This is the last transmission from the Planet Cult. Goodbye.

--------------------------------------------------
Personal log, First Advisor, last entry (found in a memory chip taken from the last Planet Cult computer found in the Manifold Nexus next to the remains of the First Advisor)

I am recording this last log entry from inside the Temple, what is called "Manfold nexus" by the unenlightened.

Well, the Prophet is dead, and all of the Planet Cult members except for I.

Triggering the Psionic wave was the hardest thing I've ever done. The wave worked exactly as our science people said it would- converting matter into energy within a certain radius without any effect on the surrounding areas, and funneling that energy into the Planet's neural net.

I am the last remaining member of the Cult. Soon, I will be joining the rest, hopefully. There is no guarantee that my soul's energy will be integrated into Planet's net- we only had enough resources to immolate the cities. I will have to do this the hard way, releasing a wild worm from it's protective canister next to me. I hope this will be gentle enough... if not, then I look upon it as punishment for what we have done wrong, and I will gladly accept it.

I honestly cannot say more, except to warn those who find my body, and this recording. Beware of the rising of Planet. If you are not ready to be accepted into the net, you will suffer terribly. Mankind, if it survives, will be dramatically changed, as the Prophet has foreseen.

Goodbye.
Old August 7, 2001, 14:59   #184
Tenchusatsu
Warlord

Year 2212 to Walt.
_______

Personal Log, Year 2212
Druid Tenchusatsu, First Advisor to Lady Deirdre

Man, they sure keep me busy even while I'm away from Gaia's Landing. The remote net node they gave me is really slowing down my ability to micromanage administrative affairs. I sure wish I were back at my home Net Node.

Meanwhile, the Cult has finally become "one with Planet." Even though the phrase has become a tiresome cliche, the Cult was somehow able to fulfill the literal meaning of it. Once news broke out, Lady Deirdre held a mourning ceremony for the now-decimated Cult nation. She vowed that we Gaians will continue the work of the Cult in bringing harmony between humankind and Planet.

Though it seems that the Cult has finally achieved their ultimate purpose, I personally feel that this was nothing more than hara kiri. With the Drones building up a massive military force, it would have been only a matter of time before the Cult's bases became "one with the Drones," just like Well of Souls. So I guess the Cultists decided to take their chances with Planet than become mere cogs in Drone Industries Inc. Guess you can't blame them, since their Planet ideology is so incompatible to the Drones.

Now the global political climate has changed drastically, and I'm not sure what to make of it. I guess I'll know more in the coming months, but in the meantime we must continue our military build-up.
Old August 7, 2001, 19:34   #185
Walt
Warlord

2212 to cbn.
Old August 8, 2001, 20:38   #186
cbn
Prince

2213 to the gaians

I opened up Randy's turn and obliterated his last base. There are now just 3 of us. Let the battles begin!!!!!
Old August 9, 2001, 12:32   #187
Tenchusatsu
Warlord

Year 2213 to Walt. I sent the turn last night, but I forgot to post here. BTW, playing on a laptop feels so restricting.
Old August 9, 2001, 12:41   #188
Walt
Warlord

2213 to cbn.
______

Morgan Industries real estate for sale. Cheap. Contact owner. Limited time offer. Hurry before it's all gone...

Old August 9, 2001, 18:01   #189
Tenchusatsu
Warlord

Year 2215 to Walt.
_______

To: All senior personnel
Subject: Mysteriously vanishing year

If you haven't noticed, all of our computers, net nodes, and A.I. programs have skipped a year and are now showing the current year as 2215. I want a full investigation launched immediately. Find out if the Drones or the Conciousness are responsible in any way. If they have a time manipulation device of sorts, I want to hear about it ASAP!

It's bad enough that we have to fight against their Elite air force. I don't want to add Time Warriors to our list of concerns.
_______

Maritime Control Center
Lucky Autumn

We are here to mourn the loss of our flagship, the Sword of Gaia. The men and women of that ship served bravely, and their deaths will not be forgotten. May Gaia tend to their souls now.

I would also like to add that this loss serves as a grim reminder to us all of the price we must pay to defend Planet and her ecology. We are deluding ourselves if we think otherwise. Surely we know what will happen if we continue to let the polluters have their way with Planet. Never forget this, my people. We will fight on, and we will prevail!
Old August 9, 2001, 21:03   #190
cbn
Prince

Just curious but how did it happen that we lost a year? Was it necessary to turn the Cult into the AI??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Drone press Conference

The Free Drone government is unhappy to be forced to report that The Druids are equipping some of their field units with nerve gas. As you will recall, these weapons of mass destruction are considered so heinous that thay were banned by the nation-states even in the barbaric days of 21st century earth. To see these mounted on active units is most troubling. Unless the Druids see fit to disband these weapons immediately we will have no choice but to outfit our own forces with weapons of mass destruction as a protective measure.

WE are also pleased that our ally have acquired another Morganite base through a hostile takeover. Their means of acquiring these bases is unknown to us as we have yet to see a unit of theirs in the region. The Consciousness have been unable to hold these bases but the damage to Morganite infrastructure is continuing.

In military news, we are pleased to report that the Gaian flagship was detected lurking near Free Drone territory and was sunk. Rescue ships were immediately dispatched but were unable to recover any survivors in the heavy fungus patch.

Our military is continuing to predict gains against the Gaian-Morganite alliance but are wary of the Gaians. They are allowing the Morganites to bear the brunt of the fighting while they continue to further secure their home territory.
Old August 9, 2001, 22:31   #191
NorthSwordsman
Prince

Would someone be willing to share a game turn now and then with me so I can see the progress of the war? I would be delighted to know what;s happening. *grin*. Who's winning, who's losing, who's DEAD (me, Morgan?)... and who will win?
Old August 10, 2001, 09:34   #192
Walt
Warlord

2115 (heh?) to cbn.
______

"Boss, boss! It worked! We can manipulate time using the Planet's natural neural net! We beamed an episode of /Incredible Journey/, a short-run TV show from mid- to late- C20 Earth, right into Planet's neural cortex!"

"And...what happened?"

"Well, suddenly, for no other identifiable reason, we're all a year older. Ummmmm. Yeah. Sinkevich in R&D thinks we might be able to turn it into a weapon. Said something similar worked on the Martians when they invaded Earth back in 1995, except then it made their heads explode..."

"Ack! Ack, Aack!"

"Boss, for a secod there your head swelled, and you were really short, and..."

"Get out, Sieverson. Just get out..."

______

I'll send Randy my turn.
Old August 11, 2001, 01:01   #193
cbn
Prince

2115 is done--2116 to the gaians

newsflash

the Morganites have been reduced to 5 bases. Reports indicate that one has been captured by the Cyborgs and the other by the Drones.
Old August 11, 2001, 08:49   #194
Tenchusatsu
Warlord

Year 2216 to Walt.
_______

Personal Log, Year 2216
Gaian Defense Minister

Heh. Nerve gas my green ass. At the rate this sorry war is going, we might as well equip our soldiers with laughing gas. 'Cause I'm sure the Drone chopper pilots are laughing at the lack of resistance our troops are presenting.

For all practical purposes, our colonies near the Sunny Mesa should be considered a total loss. And now their naval vessels threaten our home waters. It won't be long before Drone troops start the invasion of our homeland, and I don't think even our back-court defense will hold up.

We have only one advantage, and that is our economy. At least our war against the Conciousness is faring better, but I fear by the time we "assimilate" them, it will be too late.
Old August 11, 2001, 23:22   #195
Walt
Warlord

Turn to cbn.
______

Morgan Industries (AP) - In an ironic turn, this week's leader on the singles chart is "It won't be long now," by pop sensation, Yellowboy.
Old August 12, 2001, 23:13   #196
cbn
Prince

Turn NOT received-- please resend-- I also sent an email to Walt
Old August 13, 2001, 20:34   #197
cbn
Prince

2216 is over-- 2117 to the Gaians

-----------------------------------

Channel 10 News

Military officials today reported several successes. Two Morganite bases were captured after the loss of a single helicopter unit. The Morganites have been reduced to 3 bases and their long term military prospects do not appear to be good. Also today Gaian and Free Drone forces clashed on several fronts. Gaian land forces appeared in former Cult territory bu two probes and a rover were quickly eliminated. In addition the ship Ithaca and a Seawacs vessel were sunk. Finally, Drone forces report that they engaged in some harrassment bombing of a Gaian city eliminating a locust.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Military Briefing room-- Free drone Central

"Is it necessary for this war to continue? So many have died."

" Our opinion is that the fighting must continue. The Gaians are continuing to attack our ally and our secret agants have discovered that their ultimate goal is our destruction. We must continue to fight"
Old August 13, 2001, 22:23   #198
Tenchusatsu
Warlord

Year 2217 to Walt.
_______

Security Camera Footage
Transcript of Conversation between Druid Tenchusatsu and Lady Deirdre

T: Lady Deirdre, as usual, I have good news and bad news to report.
D: Go on.
T: The good news: We are making slow but steady progress against the Conciousness. Our Rover teams are engaged in a "base hopping" campaign, and soon we will knocking at the door of Conciousness HQ.
D: And the bad news?
T: Well it should be obvious now. The Drones are striking swiftly at our outer perimeter. They even invaded our mainland, killing off our troops in Dreams of Green. I don't know how long we can hold them off before reinforcements arrive.
D: What of the colonies on the Sunny Mesa?
T: As you know, one of them was totally demolished by a Drone attack. The other one, our main foothold on the mesa, is defenseless as of this moment. However, the Drones have yet to take over the base for some reason. The Defense Minister advised me to consider that base a total loss, but there is a small chance we can still salvage what's left. We were able to stop the drone riots that occurred after the Police units were killed, but rebuilding our defensive units there will take time and money, and I'm afraid both are in short supply at the moment.
D: I see. ... And?
T: And ... what?
D: And is there anything else to report?
T: No, mi'lady. But ...
D: (after brief but awkward pause) What?
T: Forgive me for being blunt, but I ... uh ... was expecting more of a reaction from you. Any reaction. ... You see, many of our men and women died in this war. Some were even close to me, especially Sharon, the Locust worm trainer who perished fighting off two Elite Drone Chopper units. She knew the risks, but I'm beginning to wonder whether everyone we know is dying in vain for a cause we probably don't have the capacity to fight for.
D: Yes, I know. I also know the Drones are enemies of Planet. We both know they pollute whenever they want and hide behind a Neural Amplifier when Planet justly responds. We know that they have thrown their entire industry toward building killing machines, all to force their industrial way of life onto all of us. And we know what we must do, and we know the extremely high cost that this task demands.
T: But don't you feel the loss? Sometimes I wonder if you even care about the young men and women who die ...
D: Yes I do. But if you've seen the things I've seen talking with Planet, you too will know why we must continue fighting this war, no matter how hopeless the situation becomes. Because if there is even a remote chance that we can emerge victorious, we MUST pursue it. And we will give our very lives to do it.
T: (sigh) I understand ...
D: (taking Tenchusatsu's hand with both of hers) Please, my friend, don't be discouraged. I trust that you and the other senior advisors will come up with a way to win. Stay strong. For all of us. For those who perished before us. For Planet. For Gaia. ... For Sharon ...
Old August 13, 2001, 22:50   #199
Tenchusatsu
Warlord

P.S. - Can anyone play the violin here? I didn't realize what a sob story I wrote until I already pressed the Submit button!
Old August 14, 2001, 01:56   #200
NorthSwordsman
Prince

Tench, you should become a writer. Seriously. I enjoy what I've been reading so far, it sounds like the war is really heating up.

Walt, it looks like you are just about history. I'm shocked someone was able to defeat you like this. All that time I tried.... hmm.. maybe I did it wrong. Looks like the military way is the way to beat you up. I'll have to remember that in our pbem games.
Old August 14, 2001, 08:21   #201
cbn
Prince

Great writing and storyline allen but I do not think things are as bad as you portray. ( I will not be tricked into thinking I am winning here) After all you are still the overall leader have many many bases, a stout economy and many strong units.

. . . .and Randy-- my success so far against Walt is solely due to the luck of getting MMI first. Chop and drop is a standard tactic.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

"Foreman, we have grave news"

"Well spit it out"

"The Gaians are claiming great victories against the consciousness. It is quite likely that all of the consciousness homeland will become part of the gaian homeland. We have ensured their survival by gifting them bases but their ability to assist us is limited"

"What of the other factions?"

" Well the final cult base has mysteriously disappeared and you are well acquainted with our war with the Morganites. With the Consciousness failing, that only leaves the Spartans and Peacekeepers. Neither are bothering us so I would tend to leave them in peace. The Gaians are formidable enough without taking on the others."

Last edited by cbn; August 14, 2001 at 09:28.
Old August 14, 2001, 10:57   #202
Walt
Warlord

2217 to cbn.

I'm sending from the altavista account, since the Yahoo account won't let me send at the moment...
Old August 14, 2001, 11:28   #203
NorthSwordsman
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by cbn

. . . .and Randy-- my success so far against Walt is solely due to the luck of getting MMI first. Chop and drop is a standard tactic.
I know "chop and drop" is a standard tactic, Stephen. I use it frequently. What I mean is that in all in the pbem games I've played with Walt, I've NEVER been able to defeat him. Apparently, running a tech race with him is not the way to knock him out, which is what I've been trying to do. Military action is the only way to take him down. I'll have to remember that in our PBEM games, Walt .
Old August 14, 2001, 13:04   #204
Tenchusatsu
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by cbn
Great writing and storyline allen but I do not think things are as bad as you portray. ( I will not be tricked into thinking I am winning here) After all you are still the overall leader have many many bases, a stout economy and many strong units.
Tell that to my scared citizens who see Drone choppers flying over their resort beaches and wondering where the heck our military is! And tell that to the Druid who just lost a loved one ...

Seriously, I'm not trying to lull you into a false sense of security. In fact, I expect you to fight as hard as you can. This is my first PBEM experience, and I want to learn as much as I can. As the Spartans might say, "Pain is an excellent teacher."

And Randy, funny you should compliment my writing, since English was my second worst subject back in school, and my worst subject was another language, French.

Patiently awaiting my turn (and perhaps more bad news ...)
Old August 14, 2001, 15:25   #205
NorthSwordsman
Prince

Well, Tench, apparently your skills at English have improved dramatically since that intrepid time, hmmm? Hang in there, bud.

Wisdom: Attack "en masse", not in dribbles and bits. You have a better chance that way. That applies to everyone. :-). One chopper ain't gonna win the war for you.
Old August 14, 2001, 16:25   #206
cbn
Prince

Randy-- sorry. . . . reread my previous post and I never meant to imply you did not know about chop and drop-- All meant to say is that the luck of geography and the way the techs shook out allowed me to do it with no magic on my part.

. . . . and Allen this is also my first PBEM experience (sort of) and every time I look at others empires I learn a lot. I started this game around the same time as 3 others and 2 were done before 2200 as strong factions combined for co-op diplo victories. This is the first time that there was some real conflict between strong factions in my games. Its looking like one of us is headed for a solo victory (unless the AI suddenly gets smarter LOL). I just would not care to bet on which-- Even odds I'd say.

I will play and send in a couple of hours. I'm still at work and tomorrow is my last day so I have a lot of clearing out to do before I move to Calgary on Saturday the 25th of August (will have a couple of days break then).
Old August 14, 2001, 19:08   #207
NorthSwordsman
Prince

No prob, Stephen, I know you didn't. It's just that you surprised me with your assault on Walt- every game I've played with him, he has been unbeatable in the tech race. I kinda figured that if he was doing that good at tech, you must have a good military. I now realize my mistake at that assumption.... Looks like I found the hole I'm looking for against him. . thanks, buddy.
Old August 14, 2001, 20:21   #208
cbn
Prince

2218 to the gaians

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"One chopper ain't gonna win the war for you." Unknown

The flight commander glared at his troops as he pointed at the words in big bold letters on the wall. " Thats what they think of you !! Conventional wisdom writes you guys off but you know better! Go out and give them hell!! You have a difficult mission but we have confidence in you. Now go get 'em!!"

The 4 man crew of the helicopter gunship cheered, grabbed their gear and than ran through a line of waiting techs and mechanics amid further cheers. The crew boarded and lifted off within seconds, turning and speeding toward their ultimate destination, the Gaian homeland.

The lieutenant looked at his commander "Do they---"

The commander cut him off softly " yes son. They know. Every tech out there knows too. But they went anyway. We'll wait a day to be certain before notifying the families ."

-------------------

Today all of Droneland mourns the loss of the crew of Helicopter Gunship 43. The crew has 18 confirmed kills to their credit. Their final mission was a sweep into the Gaian homeland, during which they destroyed a locust, probe, ground unit, 4 crawlers and 2 sea formers, creating havoc in the Gaian homeland.

-----------------------------------------------------

The Morganite faction narrowly avoided eradication today as all that remains of the once- dominant faction is a single undefended base and 9 non-military units. It is expected that this ideology will disappear from Planet shortly. While we mourn the loss of diversity on Planet, their corpratist approach involved unacceptable exploitation of workers and the death of their belief system is to be welcomed.
Old August 14, 2001, 21:17   #209
Tenchusatsu
Warlord

Year 2218 to Walt.
_______

Iowa-class Destroyer
On final attack approach

Executive Officer: Captain, we're closing in on the Drone naval task force. As intelligence reports, they possess minimal artillery capabilities. What are your orders, sir?
Captain: Maneuver the ship outside of their weapons range and lock onto the location of ... (slight pause) ... the starboard vessel.
XO: Will do!

(The Captain looks out from the window of the bridge at the bright noon sky. The only thing visible to the captain's naked eye is the vast expanse of sea fungus barely poking through the ocean's surface. The Captain stares out into the expanse, attempting in vain to see for himself his target which he knows is beyond his visual range. His face is almost ice-cold, except for a hint of exhileration that betrays his calm demeanor.)

XO: We are within range and the main Chaos Guns are fully charged. Our fusion reactors are running at 99% efficiency which means we've got more than enough juice to blow them to bits. Everyone is awaiting your orders!

(The Captain gives no reaction and continues to stare out into the expanse. Precious seconds tick away.)

XO: (beads of sweat forming on his face and looking very anxious) Sir, we are awaiting your orders ...

(The Captain's lips start to part, revealing gritted teeth. His hands remain at his sides, but they start clenching into fists. The hint of exhileration which showed through his normally icy expression is now transforming into one of anger, even hatred. The XO opens his eyes in astonishment at the extremely rare display of emotion by his commanding officer.)

Captain: (taking a slight breath, then whispering loudly with gusto) Fire!
Old August 14, 2001, 22:04   #210
NorthSwordsman
Prince

Whoa. This is starting to read like a Tom Clancy novel. I love this! Keep them coming, keep them coming. Tench, you need to write a SMAX book! :-).