Old July 11, 2000, 19:33   #1
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Local Time: 17:39
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I Am Praying For a More Intelligent AI
Everyone:

SP on Civ II and Civ II Gold is quickly losing its appeal to me. All the AI seems to do — especially on the King level and above — is exist to destroy the human player. No matter the characteristics of the AI nation, it behaves so one-dimensionally around the human player: aggressive and stupid.

It's an old argument, I know. But I couldn't resist rehashing it after the damn AI automatically sacked my newly-established cities three games in a row (that city-ESP thing, ya know) and the damn French regressed back into Neandertals when they found me.

Maybe after a few days or so my weariness will wear off again. Until then, the AI really disgusts me. Civ III had better have a more three-dimensional and flexible AI. Hopefully it will be ported over to the Macintosh, too.

And MP doesn't work well with me, either. My dial-up connection probably won't allow for it (56k).

CYBERAmazon
Old July 11, 2000, 20:45   #2
finbar
Civilization II MultiplayerMac
Emperor

Local Time: 01:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
A 56K modem's okay for MP games. I survived with it for a long time before I got cable. And I only really got cable for stability reasons.

The AI in SP really does suck. You really should have a crack at MP. The human involvement of MP lifts the game to levels you'd never dream of in SP.

And let's hope Civ 3 for the Mac is a whole lot better ported than Civ 2. Only after countless patches is it working properly.

------------------
finbar
Mono Rules!
[This message has been edited by finbar (edited July 11, 2000).]
Old July 11, 2000, 21:20   #3
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Finbar:

I'll definitely try out MP when (not if) I upgrade to a cable modem (or ADSL). But it will be a while, as that's a definite *want* whereas a car payment is a requirement .

CYBERAmazon
Old July 11, 2000, 23:20   #4
Empress
The Empress

Hey now, I have played MP online for almost 2 years now with a connection speed of around 26.4
Old July 12, 2000, 08:16   #5
Carolus Rex
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 01:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Another vote for improved AI in Civ III.

Carolus
Old July 12, 2000, 09:33   #6
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 18:39
I too wish for a far superior AI in Civ III.
I don't mind the AI being aggressive... actually, I would like it to be more aggressive But I would like the AI to handle diplomacy in a realistic fashion. Nothing worse than having an ally turn on you for no reason after you have been helping them out for hundreds of years.

The big key will be their combat skills. I'm sick of them cranking out a unit every turn just to die against a strong defensive position. You think they would learn to either give it up, or at least attack it with more units in a single turn. The AI's concept of a coordinated attack is just pure luck if they happen to have multiple units available... otherwise... Give me an AI that knows how to fight!
Old July 12, 2000, 10:46   #7
Sabrecat
Settler

Local Time: 23:39
I definitly agree with Ming. I think it would be possible to program the ai so that they send paratroopers after all those freaking nukes. Although they'd probably get a movement bonus (we get 10, they get 20 etc.), it would maybe make the game harder.

And i also think that they could have a simulated battle, and if they wouldn't win over 50% of the time, they would not attack (like in heroes of might and magic).

I also agree with Ming in the fact that they need more "realistic" diplomacy. Why wouldn't you want to ally with the most powerful civ that has a spotless reputation? (not for long mwahaha )

------------------
SABRECAT

--The man who dies with the most toys is still nonetheless... dead.
Old July 12, 2000, 18:08   #8
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

I, too, wish for a better AI. Not that I want it to be more successful, but I want it to play more in accordance with the rules for a human player.

Let it build WoW or city improvements more intelligently, but let it build them the same way I have to. Let it fight with some sense, but make it use it's shields to build units where it earns them.

Just because the primary program has to know where every city, land square, and special is doesn't mean that the AI civ routines have to also know!

------------------
Proud participant in GameLeague...

Proud member of the O.W.L. Tribe...
Old July 12, 2000, 19:41   #9
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 23:39
One of the strange features of the game is the difference between the Barb attacks and those made by the AI civs. As Ming says, the one unit at a time attack, is a nonsense. I have lost more cities to barbs than to other civs. The surprise attack from a frigate stuffed with dragoons is very effective, especially against a city with no walls. This tactic is seldom employed by anyone other than the guys in red!
----------
SG (2)
Old July 12, 2000, 20:22   #10
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Yeah... unless the AI just happens to have a bunch of units around... But again, the barbs are only tougher because of circumstances... not strategy!
Old July 12, 2000, 23:35   #11
Fallen Angel Lord

I do want a more intelligent AI but being aggressive is pretty smart. I just sack whatever I can in multi-player games and I win most the time. The only thing I have against AI is that they never challenge you naval-wise.

------------------

Free Pop3-Email and forums at
Albino Treefrog Network

The Drunken Pub

"The seeds of evil are the the same seeds of greatness so be evil and be great."

Old July 13, 2000, 00:20   #12
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Everyone:

Hear, hear! More power to TPTB in exchange for a three-dimensional and flexible AI in Civ III!

CYBERAmazon