Old June 18, 2001, 16:37   #1
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 06:56
Local Date: October 31, 2010
New movement idea
This is my idea: a unit has a number of movement points. Let's call this number X. This unit has a maximum possible number of movement points, depending on the unit type and experience and/or morale. This number is M. X can never be greater than M. Say you have a rifleman, with 3 movement points, or X=3, (Here i'm assuming that a road takes 1 movement point and a grassland or whatever takes 3. This is actually how SMAC does it.), who wants to move onto a mountain, which takes 9 movement points. He will get to move onto the mountain, but he will now have -6 movement points. I know that this sounds weird, but will become clear soon. Because the rifleman will be generating 3 movement points eachg turn, it will be 3 turns before he can move again. Turn 1: -6+3=-3. Turn 2: -3+3=0. Turn 3: 0+3=3. A unit can only move if it has a positive, nonzero number of movement points. Damage could reduce the number of movement points each turn without reducing the MAXIMUM number of movement points. Also, the rifleman could have a maximum number of movement points greater than the number it generates each turn. So if he had a max of 5, then he coul move and attack on the same turn if it has 5 stored up, but there would be a combat penalty similar to that when a unit moves along roads or rivers. This could simulate the ability of troops to make long marches.
Old June 18, 2001, 16:48   #2
joseph1944

Sorry you are in the wrong game. This game is Civ 3 and not X-Com. X-Com had/has movement point and attack points.

Old June 18, 2001, 17:15   #3
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 06:56
Actually, no, CivII and SMAC did have movement points. If you've ever noticed, an Armor has 3 movement points (in the CivII movement system), a cavalry had 2, etc. And I've neverplayed X-Com on my entire life.
Old June 18, 2001, 18:36   #4
joseph1944

Yes you are correct. However if you have a movement point left, you can still attack your enemy. In X-Com every time you move your unit one or two tiles it also lower your attack points, so if you move the unit to far, you could not attack even if you had one more tile movement left.
On the serious side if you can find X-Com somewhere, play it, the first three games are great fun. Forget the Space version, I did not like it at all. One of the Computer magazine had the first two games on it demo disk about three or four months ago. I did have all four games, but I got rid of the Space one.

Old June 19, 2001, 00:02   #5
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 10:56
If you were paying attention, skywalker said assuming grassland takes 3 move-points and roads take 1 move point. Unfortunatly I think the based civ has good enough. Grassland 1, with road taking 1/3. This way there actually IS an attack penalty, remember? The only thing Walker's suggestion might add is the possibility of negative movement where a unit may have to wait a few turns to move again. Might be interesting, but no biggy.