View Poll Results: Whats the coolest looking civilization so far?
Americans 11 14.47%
English 5 6.58%
Germans 5 6.58%
French 4 5.26%
Greeks 4 5.26%
Romans 14 18.42%
Egyptians 5 6.58%
Chinese 6 7.89%
Russians 5 6.58%
Other 17 22.37%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 21, 2001, 13:18   #31
Gangerolf
Prince

Local Time: 11:56
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by KrazyHorse
There has always been a strong, independent (though not necessarily united) civilization in Central Europe, and we can label this power "Germany" for lack of a better word.
I agree.
After all, it's just a computer game. (I'd like to see more than 16 civs in it though.)
Old June 21, 2001, 14:57   #32
bertje121
Settler

you all have to admit that the Romans where the greatest civilization ever.
Alsmost every aspect of current life in Western Europe (and with that the US) was created by the Romans. Culture, arts, trade and language.
So I really think we all should deeply respect the Romans. Without the Romans, we probably woudn't internet right now!
Old June 21, 2001, 16:01   #33
jadlakha
Warlord

Local Time: 10:56
The dumb ass forgot to add India. I dont think its fitting to consider India as other.
Old June 21, 2001, 16:15   #34
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 06:56
Calm down. It's a silly poll to begin with. If he'd taken out the English to put the Indians in, we would have had a horde of limeys in here protesting.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old June 21, 2001, 16:18   #35
jadlakha
Warlord

LoL
Old June 21, 2001, 19:24   #36
Footie Mad
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by bertje121
you all have to admit that the Romans where the greatest civilization ever.
Alsmost every aspect of current life in Western Europe (and with that the US) was created by the Romans. Culture, arts, trade and language.
So I really think we all should deeply respect the Romans. Without the Romans, we probably woudn't internet right now!
What about the greeks then? I've heard that they were the ones who were responsible for all of this.....but then again maybe I shouldnt believe everything I hear Some of you historians can fill me in on this one
Old June 22, 2001, 10:25   #37
bertje121
Settler

yes, of course. The Greeks where very important too. But the Romans TOOK a part of the GREEK culture and brang it to Western- and South-Europe, Northern Africa etc.
Old June 22, 2001, 10:33   #38
Vrank Prins
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by bertje121
brang
Bertje brengen is in het engels inderdaad een sterk werkwoord maar de verleden tijd van to bring is niet brang maar brought.
En voor wat betreft de rest, ben ik het helemaal met je eens
Old June 22, 2001, 11:25   #39
KrazyHorse
Deity

I didn't catch most of that, but I think the translation reads something like (basing on German and French): "Bertje, 'brang' is not an English word. The correct conjugation of 'to bring' is not 'brang' but 'brought' ". I can't get the last last sentence.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old June 22, 2001, 17:31   #40
Gangerolf
Prince

The last sentence would be something like this:
'And for what concerns the rest, I am totally agreeing with you.'
(more or less).

And yep - the Roman Empire had a considerable impact on the world spreading Greek philosophy and, at a later time, Christianity.

But the poll is about which civ is the *coolest*, and therefore the Egyptians should be first choice.
Old June 22, 2001, 17:45   #41
KrazyHorse
Deity

Danke. Merci. Spase'ba. Thanks.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old June 23, 2001, 06:28   #42
bertje121
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Gangerolf
(more or less).

And yep - the Roman Empire had a considerable impact on the world spreading Greek philosophy and, at a later time, Christianity.

But the poll is about which civ is the *coolest*, and therefore the Egyptians should be first choice.
and why is that?
What I find 'cool' is determined by impact in world history, empire size, culture etc.
Old June 25, 2001, 11:52   #43
Vrank Prins
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Gangerolf
(more or less).
You're understanding of dutch is pretty good. I figured someone would come up with the right interpretation of it all !! Bedankt voor de translation !! .

Problem with the "germans" is that, that germany is actually only since 1870 a united nation. Before that time it was a pretty uncoherent collection of counties, diocese's, duchies, principalities, "free imperial cities" (freie Reichsstadt) (like Hamburg, Bremen, uptill ca. 1580 we had a few cities like that in the Netherlands), etc. From 1700 (sharp) on Prussia (Preussen) became more and more the dominant and later on binding factor. Uptill 1870 the institute of the german emperor has never been a very strong presence in german history. The Austrian emperor became a strong factor in Austria after 1648.

The germans have contributed largely to scientific and industrial development from the first half of the 19th century on to the midst of the 20th century . It was their time of "emancipation", to become a full grown nation like Spain, France, England/Brittain and Russia.
A bit like Italy, that's why there's a strong resemblance between the modern history of the two nations.

But still, and I'm going to make my vote now, I'm going for the chinese. They have always been there. It is only since modern times that they have been surpassed by other nations.

Last edited by Vrank Prins; June 25, 2001 at 11:59.
Old June 25, 2001, 15:26   #44
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

I'd go for the Greeks, the Romans, and the Americans, but being as your only supposed to vote once, I go with America, the acme, the zenith, of Western Civilization. We also saved Europe's behind in two World Wars and have a considerable economic and social influence (much to the shagrin of other nations, and myself at times) the world through. Ergo, USA gets my vote, though I would suggest everyone here study Latin and Attic Greek for fun.

Long live the Americanization of the World! Hellanization was but the first step! Rominazation the next!

Ioanes
Old June 25, 2001, 17:25   #45
polypheus
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:56
Quote:
Originally posted by Vrank Prins
Problem with the "germans" is that, that germany is actually only since 1870 a united nation...
I'm not sure that this is entirely true. From 962-1806, Germany was united as one nation called the "Holy Roman Empire" whose borders correspond to those of modern Germany. The first Holy Roman Emperor was Otto I, crowned in 962. The HRE was formally dissolved by Napoleon in 1806.

Germany has been a united nation in four forms throughout history. The first is the Holy Roman Empire, called the "first reich". The second is the creation of the modern German nation in 1870 which is the "second reich". The infamous "third reich" is Nazi Germany (and that is why Hitler called it the "3rd reich" in reference to the first two reichs. The current Germany is thus the "fourth reich" of the German nation.
Old June 26, 2001, 03:08   #46
Vrank Prins
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by polypheus
I'm not sure that this is entirely true. From 962-1806, Germany was united as one nation called the "Holy Roman Empire" whose borders correspond to those of modern Germany.
True.
But the swedish, english and french kings etc. had power over all their kinsmen. The german emperor had none. That's one of the main reasons why the swiss and dutch got a state on their own. And also why german (deutsch in german) as a language had a few, though minor, offspring languages like dutch (in the netherlands we say "nederlands"), swiss (schwyzerdütsch though not official), and letzeburgs (luxemburgs official !!!). Bavarian had almost developed into a (official !!) langauge off its own too. The german emperor (and with him his court !!) couldn't force himself upon his empire as a leading and trendsetting factor, whether political or cultural.

Last edited by Vrank Prins; June 26, 2001 at 06:45.
Old June 26, 2001, 05:56   #47
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 18:56
Romans? Maybe not.

The Romans never had the concept of 0 (zero), which is so important in today's mathematics and sciences.
Old June 26, 2001, 06:57   #48
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 12:56
yeah, nor did they have any clue about mesons, quasars, cell phones and SUVs. shame on romans!
Old June 26, 2001, 17:51   #49
bertje121
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by JMarks
I'd go for the Greeks, the Romans, and the Americans, but being as your only supposed to vote once, I go with America, the acme, the zenith, of Western Civilization. We also saved Europe's behind in two World Wars and have a considerable economic and social influence (much to the shagrin of other nations, and myself at times) the world through. Ergo, USA gets my vote, though I would suggest everyone here study Latin and Attic Greek for fun.

Long live the Americanization of the World! Hellanization was but the first step! Rominazation the next!

Ioanes
You're pathetic.
Big influence on Western Civilzation? Haha. Thats funny. I thought the United States was MADE out of EUROPEANS.
After all, Americans are nothing but a bunch of Europeans (and of course others, but mainly Europeans).
The Americanization is something of the last few decades. So you cant speak of a big influence like the Romans (several centuries!).
Old June 26, 2001, 19:05   #50
joseph1944

Quote:
the Romans, and the Americans,
I said this a long time ago, America is a country and not a Civs. Because All of us have ancestry somewhere else. Think about this for a moment, if your ancestry is North Africa or most of Europe, not all, but most of Europe you are part Roman. So if all of us part Roman got together today (2001), we might still be one of the larges Civs in the World. Maybe number 3 right behind the Chinese, and Indian of India.

Old June 26, 2001, 20:58   #51
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Depends
Quote:
I said this a long time ago, America is a country and not a Civs. Because All of us have ancestry somewhere else. Think about this for a moment, if your ancestry is North Africa or most of Europe, not all, but most of Europe you are part Roman. So if all of us part Roman got together today (2001), we might still be one of the larges Civs in the World. Maybe number 3 right behind the Chinese, and Indian of India.
It depends on one's definition of 'Civ'. If you mean completely original, then no one gets that prize, not even China. A civilization is, well, a culture based around cities, often families, and, for the most part act 'civilized'.

Besides, any civ is naturally based on a nation, a city or collection of cities, that, more often than not, share a culture. If America (USofA) cannot be a civ, then niether can the Romans. They were a nation, no? Besides, being American is not being European. Nowhere near. We have a cultural base in Europe, sure, but we are far from being European. African-Americans (I hate that term, I really do. It somehow implies that they aren't true Americans, which they are, but I'll have to use it to make the point) are Americans, would they be considered Roman for your sake? Not to bash you, I just love debating what being an American means with fellow Americans.

If anything, its an ideology with roots in the Romanized and Hellanized world of Europe.

Oh and a little side note, I like the Roman version of slavery better than the American version (brought to us by Africa, and supported by Darwin, thankyouverymuch). That was truely an equal-oportunity placement if there ever was one.

Ioanes
Old June 26, 2001, 22:06   #52
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 20:56
Horse rules
The coolest empire is of course the Horse Empire. Bow Down!

I hope customised civs and titles will be allowed. Few multiplayers use the historical civs.

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old June 27, 2001, 02:23   #53
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by LaRusso
yeah, nor did they have any clue about mesons, quasars, cell phones and SUVs. shame on romans!
Do you have any clue what you are talking, or are you just babbling?
Old June 27, 2001, 02:28   #54
Rollo_CH
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Vrank Prins

That's one of the main reasons why the swiss and dutch got a state on their own. And also why german (deutsch in german) as a language had a few, though minor, offspring languages like dutch (in the netherlands we say "nederlands"), swiss (schwyzerdütsch though not official), and letzeburgs (luxemburgs official !!!).
Don't forget the "other 3" in Switzerland... Germans are not the only nationality. Actually, Switzerland is a very good example of a peacful coexistence of different nationalities.
Old June 27, 2001, 02:30   #55
Urban Ranger
Deity

Re: Depends
Quote:
It depends on one's definition of 'Civ'. If you mean completely original, then no one gets that prize, not even China. A civilization is, well, a culture based around cities, often families, and, for the most part act 'civilized'.
What does it mean by "completely original?" Does it mean that a civilisation has, in the course of history, developed a culture that is not a derivative of any earlier culture? If that is the case it seems that there are several the qualify.
Old June 27, 2001, 03:11   #56
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 20:56
But then you're not a civ, are you
You're a complete original UR.

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old June 27, 2001, 03:56   #57
Vrank Prins
Warlord

Quote:
Long live the Americanization
YECH I've never liked MacDonalds, and my boss is trying to look smart by screaming out a lot of anglo-american managements crap, ridiculous.
Old June 27, 2001, 04:20   #58
LaRusso
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Do you have any clue what you are talking, or are you just babbling?
dear urban lumberjack,
unlike you, i reckon i do have a clue.
Old June 27, 2001, 04:28   #59
LaRusso
King

Quote:

Ioanes
Saved our ass?
In the WW1 you intervened on the side of your debtors to prevent them defaulting on war loans.
In WW2 you came when Russians were already in Poland and probably shortened war for a month or so. Let's leave the strategic bombing out of this....
Now, look at your location. Sioux Falls. How come? Let's suppose that a tribe (nation, civ, whatever) of Siouxes lived there, and hey - here comes a cream of European crop, armed to the teeth, zenith of the Western Civilization. 100 years before Stalin and Hitler, you had slavery and massacred Native Americans en masse.
Don't bring Darwin into this, as I understand, half of America has to listen to creationist theories in the school so that the Believers are not offended.
Let's face it, you're Europeans squared, our best and worst characteristics simply maxed out.
Old June 27, 2001, 06:43   #60
bertje121
Settler

Thats the spirit!