View Poll Results: Whats your choice of any civ-specific unit?
F15 6 15.38%
Mig 4 10.26%
Panzer Tank 3 7.69%
Legion 9 23.08%
Impi 3 7.69%
Hoplite 3 7.69%
Abrams Tank 3 7.69%
Eagle Warrior 2 5.13%
Samurai 1 2.56%
Musketeer 5 12.82%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 20, 2001, 01:52   #1
Alex 14
Prince

Local Time: 20:57
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Whats your choice of any civ-specific unit?
Whats your favourite planed civ-specific unit so far? Personally i have to play the game to see, but i think spearmen look cool.

It's pretty good to see some cultural development in civ 3.
Old June 20, 2001, 18:13   #2
Diablo, Bro. of Mephisto
Prince

Local Time: 10:57
Why would anyone vote for F-15's when there is a choice a the MIG?????

The MIG is better then the F-15 for the following reasons:

1. Faster
2. More Menoverable
3. It's sidewinders (missiles) are more powerfull
4. The F-15 usually carries 5-8 missiles, the MIG can carry up to 10.

Also, this is not a proper poll (no offense), for one thing, you need to seperate the choices into two catagories, 1 being ground units, and 2 being air units.

For my favorite air unit I have seen so far, the MIG, but as for ground units, screw off Germans, I got myself an Abrams.
Old June 20, 2001, 18:17   #3
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 05:57
the MiG is a rip off of the F16, which is superior to the F15.

Old June 20, 2001, 18:38   #4
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 06:57
Why does everyone get so caught up about military units from the last hundred years? The differences between F-15s and MiGs are microscopic compared to the differences between F-15s and Spitfires, and these differences are microscopic compared to the differences between any fighter plane and an archer. Such small differences will be largely ignored by anyone living a hundred years from now, and perhaps we should attempt to gain such an historical perspective. This being said, my favourite unique unit may be the Longbowman, assuming that it makes it into the game. For a hundred years, English armies were composed in large percentage of Welsh-inspired longbowmen, and were able to defeat much larger French forces (even those including archers) due to their extreme range (300-400 yards) and rapidity of fire (10 shots a minute). By the way, Alex, why do you feel the urge to post so many polls about which units or civs will be our "favourites" when we have so little information to go on? I'll reserve final judgment until I've played the game a few times.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old June 20, 2001, 18:42   #5
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 11:57
I'll say Impi, they look cute

And besides, it keeps me out of these anal military debates...some of you would have loved the MBT threads on the off-topic of yesteryear

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old June 20, 2001, 18:57   #6
ancient
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Diablo, Bro. of Mephisto
Why would anyone vote for F-15's when there is a choice a the MIG?????

The MIG is better then the F-15 for the following reasons:

1. Faster
2. More Menoverable
3. It's sidewinders (missiles) are more powerfull
4. The F-15 usually carries 5-8 missiles, the MIG can carry up to 10.

Also, this is not a proper poll (no offense), for one thing, you need to seperate the choices into two catagories, 1 being ground units, and 2 being air units.

For my favorite air unit I have seen so far, the MIG, but as for ground units, screw off Germans, I got myself an Abrams.
True true!! Migs are the best! Best jets of their era! F-16's are just a watered down version!

Quote:
the MiG is a rip off of the F16, which is superior to the F15.
that is not true! f-16's and migs are nothing alike migs can travel higher than 16's, and are faster , and can be decked out with more missiles and guns
Old June 21, 2001, 01:59   #7
Alex 14
Prince

There is no doubt that Migs rock.
Old June 21, 2001, 04:05   #8
Sean
Prince

Ahhhh, Musketers;

Good, honest, old fashion combat!!

Old June 21, 2001, 05:26   #9
AroSch
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Neu Demogyptica
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Sean
Ahhhh, Musketers; Good, honest, old fashion combat!!
Oh yeah. I agree. Musketeers! Ore Legion? My be Hoplite...
Old June 21, 2001, 06:55   #10
Rollo_CH
Chieftain

Agree, Musketeers! I remember their value in MP-Age of Conquerors.

Btw, does anyone actually know what Mig there will be? Mig 31? 29? Wasn't the 29 regarded as the better?
Old June 21, 2001, 08:11   #11
N35t0r
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversDiplomacyScenario League / Civ2-CreationPtWDG2 Latin LoversC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansPSPB Team EspañolC4WDG Spamyard TeamBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 07:57
Pucara planes for the Argentines!!!!!!!

and let's blow those harriers and cruisers with turboprop planes!

Progressive Game ID #0023
Old June 21, 2001, 14:38   #12
Diablo, Bro. of Mephisto
Prince

The F-16 was developed first by us, americans, and a few years later, the Russians stole a copy, made one of their own, and hated it, after a couple years, they upgraded several parts of the plane, and called it a MIG 29.

And Rollo, yes the MIG 29 was/is the better of the two.

Our F-15's are now 80% strictly carrier aircraft, We now have the F-16's...which are NOT better then the MIG 29's, dang russians.
Old June 21, 2001, 20:55   #13
ancient
Prince

and what about this new plane iv been hearing about the x-something or other.. spose to be able to fly at mach 10.. can anyone say highspeeedbombing (yes 1 word)
Old June 21, 2001, 22:37   #14
joseph1944

F-15 score 100.5 other World Aircraft including the Mig-29 0.
And if I would sit down and read all 43 vol. of my World Air Power mag. I could tell you the score of the F-16. Btw the F-15 is not a carrier aircraft. That plane is the F-14 and not the F-15. Also we did not loose any F-16 to Iraq air force during the gulf war or in Kosovo campaign.

Old June 21, 2001, 23:37   #15
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Remember that in a game of the scale of Civilization the unit symbols should represent entire forces instead of a single machine or soldier. The F-15 should be taken as representing an American air force rather than a single F-15 or even a group of F-15s. Personally if I were to chose an aircraft to represent the American air force I'd choose an AWACS plane, which may arguably be the most important single component of any US air deployment.
Likewise you should think of a Panzer symbol as representing the entire apparatus of blitzkrieg. If I were designing this game I would put in a P-51 special unit for the Americans and a T-35 unit for the Soviets to counter the Panzer. In the east, when the Soviets mastered the art of mass deployment of armor, artillery and air power they began to push back the Nazis. Likewise in the west the US used air superiority to more than offset deficiencies in their armor.
I'm not happy about the choice of the musketeer as a special unit for France. In which of his books does Dumas claim that the musketeers were a speciality of France. Spain was the first European power to successfully deploy units equipped with large numbers of firearms used in a way that significantly enhanced their fighting capabilities. First they used columns composed of both pikemen and arquebusiers, then they gave the arquebusiers swords and reduced the number of pikemen. The musketeer unit immortalized by Dumas was based on ideas ripped off from the Spanish! The Swedes were the first to integrate all mechanical firing mechanisms in a successful military force. If I were to give a special unit to renaissance/baroque France I'd givr them the Vaubun fortresss.
Old June 22, 2001, 10:52   #16
ancient
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by joseph1944
F-15 score 100.5 other World Aircraft including the Mig-29 0.
And if I would sit down and read all 43 vol. of my World Air Power mag. I could tell you the score of the F-16. Btw the F-15 is not a carrier aircraft. That plane is the F-14 and not the F-15. Also we did not loose any F-16 to Iraq air force during the gulf war or in Kosovo campaign.
we didnt lose many units in that war.. you idiot.. your a complete idiot.. we were fighting freakin men with rifles vs our bombs and airplanes.. we killed them.. it was overkill.. the migs are the greatest series of aircraft everbuilt and anyone whos piloted one can tell you that.... i was watching this how about aircraft the other day and they were showing off the migs and other planes and even the pilots admitted the migs are better.. migs can actually fly into outerspace (not very far but just to the edge of it)
Old June 22, 2001, 15:45   #17
b&i_c
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:57
Well how on earth could you decide what unit you would want when you don't know what any of them do??
Old June 22, 2001, 19:03   #18
ancient
Prince

based on your love of an actual unit.. how could legion win?
Old June 22, 2001, 20:38   #19
joseph1944

Quote:
Originally posted by ancient
we didn't lose many units in that war.. you idiot.. your a complete idiot.. we were fighting freaking men with rifles vs our bombs and airplanes.. we killed them.. it was overkill.. the MiG are the greatest series of aircraft ever built and anyone who's piloted one can tell you that.... I was watching this how about aircraft the other day and they were showing off the MiG and other planes and even the pilots admitted the MiG are better.. mig can actually fly into outerspace (not very far but just to the edge of it)
The Israeli Air Force has shot down every Mig that has come up to fight. The American Air Force with the F-15 has shot down every Mig that has come up to fight and yet you call the Mig the greatest fighter of all time very good.
The American X-15 flew the edge of outer space which is 354,200 feet. The American SR-71 flew well above 80,000 all of the time. Some years ago the American F-4 flew to around 106,000 feet and a Mig-25 flew to about the same height or a little above that height around the same time. I just look through World Airpower book on the Mig-29 and could not find any information about the Mig-29 flying that height. And btw these flight are what they call "clime to height" races. The aircraft is stripped of all unnecessary equipment and then loaded with fuel, take off and get level at altitude and then hit the afterburners and go for the height. They can not normally fly at this altitude. There are very few Fighter that can fly above 60,000 feet. Not enough air for the engines.
When I served in the US Navy, it was my job to defend the United State from foreign and domestic enemies, and I would gladly do so.
Communism is the enemy of the US and even today I would fight them.
In the art of war the idea is to kill, I repeat to Kill the enemy any way possible. When we fought the Iraqi they had the forth larger military in the world, and it was our job to kill them. They no longer have the forth larger military.
Now for the "idiot" statement. I have never attack another person on this site. I may have question his/her statement but no personal attack. I would appreciate if you would not call me a name.

Old June 22, 2001, 21:32   #20
polypheus
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:57
It is true that F15 has a very good record against MiG. However, this may have less to do with pure technical superiority than it does with training, morale, and military infrastructure.

Remember that when the F15 goes up against the MiG, the F15 side might have superior numbers, superior logistics, and superior reconnaisance due to AWACs operating on the F15 side.

OTOH the MiG is probably flown by an inexperienced pilot and is naked in the sky with no AWACs operating behind the MiG29 pilot.

Therefore, if everything were equal (training, numbers, infrastructure, etc.), I believe that F15 and MiG would be fairly evenly matched.
Old June 22, 2001, 21:49   #21
joseph1944

Quote:
Originally posted by polypheus
It is true that F15 has a very good record against MiG. However, this may have less to do with pure technical superiority than it does with training, morale, and military infrastructure.

Remember that when the F15 goes up against the MiG, the F15 side might have superior numbers, superior logistics, and superior reconnaissance due to AWACs operating on the F15 side.

OTOH the MiG is probably flown by an inexperienced pilot and is naked in the sky with no AWACs operating behind the MiG29 pilot.

Therefore, if everything were equal (training, numbers, infrastructure, etc.), I believe that F15 and MiG would be fairly evenly matched.
I will admit that in a third world county I don't know. However in Russia every time a Russia plane flies, he under the control of a ground controller and is told what to do and when to do it. The American AWAC normally only give threat status to the U.S. flyer and let them make their own decision on out to fight.

Old June 22, 2001, 21:50   #22
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

wheres th eoption for no Civ specific units!!!!
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old June 22, 2001, 22:09   #23
joseph1944

Quote:
Originally posted by Rasputin
wheres the option for no Civ specific units!!!!
Rasputin I'm not sure what your question is. Please repeat. Unless you are saying that you do not have a specific unit that you like.

Old June 23, 2001, 02:23   #24
Alex 14
Prince

Against TechWins' judgment i believe there will be an option to remove civ-specific units from the game somewhere in the options...
Old June 23, 2001, 06:03   #25
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 12:57
I want the legion!!!
I just like the Romans, and the legions was the unit that brought them to the power they had!!!
So, legion, here I come!!!
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old June 23, 2001, 12:29   #26
Footie Mad
Prince

Anyone care to guess the chinese special unit ? So far i've heard nothing of it and I have no idea what it might be.
Old June 23, 2001, 12:50   #27
joseph1944

Quote:
Originally posted by Wille
Anyone care to guess the Chinese special unit ? So far I've heard nothing of it and I have no idea what it might be.
I have not hear of any either, and my Father-in-Law is from China.
Maybe the Warlords could be their unit. Over the centuries they had many-many warlords.

Old June 23, 2001, 17:05   #28
Theben
Deity

There are some things the Russians do/did better but short-wave radar isn't one of them. American planes have better tracking & accuracy. So you can keep your more maneuverable MiG, I'd prefer to end the dogfight at 30 miles.
Russians also have crappier maintenance, although for some reason their missiles work more often than ours do.

That said, I think I'd like the Impis. Early scouting for good city sites. That and I have no clue what the other units do.

Communism will save the USA.
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old June 23, 2001, 17:29   #29
ancient
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by joseph1944

The Israeli Air Force has shot down every Mig that has come up to fight. The American Air Force with the F-15 has shot down every Mig that has come up to fight and yet you call the Mig the greatest fighter of all time very good.
The American X-15 flew the edge of outer space which is 354,200 feet. The American SR-71 flew well above 80,000 all of the time. Some years ago the American F-4 flew to around 106,000 feet and a Mig-25 flew to about the same height or a little above that height around the same time. I just look through World Airpower book on the Mig-29 and could not find any information about the Mig-29 flying that height. And btw these flight are what they call "clime to height" races. The aircraft is stripped of all unnecessary equipment and then loaded with fuel, take off and get level at altitude and then hit the afterburners and go for the height. They can not normally fly at this altitude. There are very few Fighter that can fly above 60,000 feet. Not enough air for the engines.
When I served in the US Navy, it was my job to defend the United State from foreign and domestic enemies, and I would gladly do so.
Communism is the enemy of the US and even today I would fight them.
In the art of war the idea is to kill, I repeat to Kill the enemy any way possible. When we fought the Iraqi they had the forth larger military in the world, and it was our job to kill them. They no longer have the forth larger military.
Now for the "idiot" statement. I have never attack another person on this site. I may have question his/her statement but no personal attack. I would appreciate if you would not call me a name.
First off, im a communist, secondly United States and Isreal have never fought a war with Russia or the Soviet Union. So I have no idea where you got this crazy idea about migs coming out to fight. And in the korean war Migs werent used (as far as i know, i dont think they were even around yet) and in the vietnam war they werent used either. And yes I shouldn't have called him an idiot (but migs scoring a zero? com'on) but you may have too much pride in your nation. Communism isn't the United States Peoples enemy, its the enemy of the government who has done every thing in their power to hide the truth and surpress the people. If you do truely say that you believe communism is the enemy of the united states I must ask you why. Please tell me because it is probably something the government has done to inspire hate of the soviet union in the past. Ok i happen to like migs and i think their the best planes ever and its not because im a communist its because of their dual engine, and becaause they look cool, and fly better than the F series.

And i also have to say this which is a common misconception, there has never been a communist nation on earth. Not even close their has been socialism but not communism. A true communist system is a pure democratic nation where the people have the power of making laws, unlike the united states "democracy" where the peopple have represtentatives who do whatever the hell they want, and you vote and oppinions dont matter if the suppreme court says otherwise..

the iraqi had the fourth largest army in the world
the iraqi had the seventh most powerfull army in the world
the iraqi air force didnt match up to ours
the iraqis had no where near as many land armoured units
the iraqis had no nuclear missile deterent

basically we did kill them and we killed them good, it was overkill
it was a war over oil due to the united states policy of over production which the capitalist system seems to demand. cpaitalism is ruining the world being a freind to no-one, not the people, not nature..
Old June 23, 2001, 17:34   #30
ancient
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Theben
Communism will save the USA.
I think you and me should be friends