Old June 20, 2001, 07:42   #3
kobayashi
Prince

Local Time: 18:57
Local Date: October 31, 2010
And finally the Eastern Front

Old June 20, 2001, 10:49   #4
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 11:57
Where is the download link?
Old June 20, 2001, 11:45   #5
kobayashi
Prince

Sorry about that, I lost my uplink halfway through my posting session.

There are two tech tree posters and here is a bit of it to give you an idea of what they look like.

Also, I have made a patch zip for previous players of ZWK so they don't have to download the 2MB file. The patch works version 1.1 or above.

Last but not least, the place to get it:

http://www.civfanatics.com/civ2scenmod.shtml#zwk
Old June 20, 2001, 13:00   #6
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

I found a minor "error", i think the "Z3/Eniac" wonder should be called either Z3/Eniac/Collosus or Z3/Collosus
Collosus was a british computer completed before the Eniac, it was used to crack the far more advanced encryption use only by Hitler himself and his generals/field masrschals.

The Collosus was destroyed after the war and so was all the blueprints for it, it was kept a secret by the brittish government untill quite recently.

Also why do the allies lose if the soviets take Berlin?
Thats what happened in reallity
Old June 20, 2001, 13:19   #7
kobayashi
Prince

Henrik, that was really fast, you were just asking where to download it from an hour ago.

I was wondring whether to include the collosus or not, but I thought it was a code breaking machine not a computer. i.e. it was a special purpose machine and could not be programmed for other things. Of course I could be wrong.

Allies lose because the cold war starts once the soviets get to Berlin and they could have prevented it - or atleast made the warsaw pact smaller. There was also somewhat of a race to get to Berlin in the actual world (some people think the Allies got sidetracked by rumours of a secret mountain last retreat???). In the game it stops the Allies from helping the Soviets more than they should. If not Allies will give lancaster, superfortress and everything else to soviets and then sit back.
Old June 20, 2001, 13:53   #8
Henrik
Emperor

Well, acording to "The Code Book" by Simon Singh (a book about cryptography (or is it cryptology?) through history) which is where I heard of it the Collosus was (note: this quote is from the swedish translation) : "adaptable" and "what we today would call a programable computer".
Further into the text he says that:
"But more important the than the increased speed was the fact that the Collosus could be programed".
Old June 21, 2001, 02:33   #9
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 20:57
Quote:
Originally posted by kobayashi
There was also somewhat of a race to get to Berlin in the actual world (some people think the Allies got sidetracked by rumours of a secret mountain last retreat???).
Its generally agreed that if the Western Allies went all out in March-April '45 they could have easily beaten the Soviets to Berlin. The Allies had a complete set of plans for an airborne assult on the city which almost certainly would have been sucessful. However, the Western Allies political leadership made a deliberate decision to stop at the Elbe and let the Soviets take the city. Whilst the reported 'national rebout' in southern Germany did cause the Allies a lot of grief, all that happened was that Patton's army was diverted to secure the area. Had Berlin been a priority, some of Patton's troops would have been diverted north

I hope you found that history lesson informative
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old June 21, 2001, 02:51   #10
kobayashi
Prince

History aside, the game won't work if the Allies and Soviets don't mind who gets to Berlin first. Then history would just repeat itself as the Axis are doomed before they even start. I might as well have made the soviets and allies one tribe if there is no race to berlin. Since this is history led by alternate personalities (thats my wildcard that lets me do anything) I guess the race to Berlin is not too outrageous a goal.

Having said that, I do not dispute what everyone has said about how it really happened.
Old June 21, 2001, 04:15   #11
Henrik
Emperor

Did you read my reply about the Collosus?
Old June 22, 2001, 15:19   #12
kobayashi
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Henrik
Well, acording to "The Code Book" by Simon Singh (a book about cryptography (or is it cryptology?) through history) which is where I heard of it the Collosus was (note: this quote is from the swedish translation) : "adaptable" and "what we today would call a programable computer".
Further into the text he says that:
"But more important the than the increased speed was the fact that the Collosus could be programed".
Sorry for the delay. I had to dig my book out from some box. The book I have by Simon Singh is called "The Science of Secrecy". But I think we are referring to the same book. The exact english version reference to the Colossus is

"...It's specific purpose was to decrypt messages encrypted by the German Lorenz SZ40 machine, so it was not designed as a general purpose computer. Nevertheless, it was programmable, some programs being implemented through permanent wiring......"

I suppose Singh is an authority on cryptology but the fact that he doesn't even know of the existance of the Z3 which was programmable through punchtape and had a floating point processor and was built years earlier does not give me too much faith in his claim that it was the birth of the modern computer.

For the purposes of the game either Z3/Eniac or Z3 Colossus would do but since there is another wonder called Enigma Decoding, I think I will just keep the Eniac there (hey I'm PENN alumni you know!)

once again, thanks for the close attention that you paid to the scenario.

p.s. see this page

http://irb.cs.tu-berlin.de/~zuse/Konrad_Zuse/index.html

Last edited by kobayashi; June 22, 2001 at 15:26.
Old June 23, 2001, 10:29   #13
Chris 62
Spanish CiversCivilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 06:57
Why is your sig your name backwards?
Old June 24, 2001, 03:39   #14
kobayashi
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris 62
Why is your sig your name backwards?
a. legacy from earlier posts on Homeworld forums
b. lack of knowledge to put moving pictures
c. lack of imagination
d. all of the above.

do you want to poll the audience, call a friend or use the 50/50?

and the answer is d.
Old June 24, 2001, 09:22   #15
Chris 62
Emperor

Quote:

a. legacy from earlier posts on Homeworld forums
b. lack of knowledge to put moving pictures
c. lack of imagination
d. all of the above.

do you want to poll the audience, call a friend or use the 50/50?

and the answer is d.
Is that your Final answer?
Old June 24, 2001, 11:00   #16
kobayashi
Prince

Yes. I didn't really know what to put under signature when I originally registered. So I used my handle spelt backwards. I suppose I was wondering if anyone would notice that that's what it was - but that was such a long time ago I can't recall exactly. When I get some inspiration, I will put an insightful quotation.

BTW have you tried ZWK 2.0?
Old June 30, 2001, 00:23   #17
kobayashi
Prince

We've talked about the Colossus, my signature... but what about the gameplay. 128 views so far but not much feedback on the latest round of changes. I'm still awaiting comments but in the meanwhile, I'm moving on to the next scenario.....

Last edited by kobayashi; June 30, 2001 at 00:38.
Old June 30, 2001, 09:38   #18
Chris 62
Emperor

Quote:

BTW have you tried ZWK 2.0?
What!??!
You didn't get my feedback on it?

I hope I didn't delete it, but I think I did.

Well, it was mostly positive, based on the new terrain additions, and recomendations for minor ajustments, which I can't remember off hand.

I'll take another look on my disks, but I think it's gone.
Old June 30, 2001, 14:55   #19
Dienstag
Warlord

Local Time: 10:57
Feedback: Still seems like a really well made game, especially with the new landscape. I learned, though, that it requires much patience. All the numbers are lower than I'm used to (movement points, city production, <-- turn length). I played a while and then got a little frustrated when my Spitfire kept being destroyed be a U-boat, despite numerous re-loads. I did't think it was supposed to work that way, but I guess I could understand having to wait for ground attack planes and sub-hunters. Anyway, I think I'll come back to it after finishing some other stuff (I'm still half-way through The Struggle For Europe, I think !) Nothing against your scenario; I just haven't had the time or patience to play it right, yet.

BTW, whats the top, center graphic in the samples for your next scenario (which seems to deal with another of my favorite subjects, I might add)? The stuff I recognize looks great.
Old July 2, 2001, 21:52   #20
kobayashi
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Dienstag

BTW, whats the top, center graphic in the samples for your next scenario (which seems to deal with another of my favorite subjects, I might add)? The stuff I recognize looks great.
Its an Eclipse class battleship. Unlike other empire ships, it was jet black. 2 were built but both were destroyed.
Old July 9, 2001, 06:26   #21
kobayashi
Prince

The first beta is ready. Does anyone (just one - the first to post a reply) want to play test?
Be prepared to give detailed comments if you volunteer.

Basic Synopsis

The scenario follows the STBAQ format and is a navy/island game. Admiral Zaarin revolts a decade earlier, before A New Hope, and the Deathstar doesn't get built. So there is no Battle of Yavin or Battle of Endor. The Empire Splits into two so there are three major factions (Rebels are the third race led by Bail Organa who is still alive since Alderaan never got destroyed). Minor races are Pirates, Corporate Sector Authority, Unalligned and the Pacifists.