Old June 20, 2001, 18:57   #1
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 06:58
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Customizability (easily implementable for the Firaxis lurkers)
We all know that Civ II was a bit of a pioneer in allowing the aleration of significant details of gameplay. The thing that I'd like to ask/request here regards numbers. More specifically it regards maximum numbers. Even more specifically, it regards the maximum numbers of techs and units. Will I be able to alter the number of techs in a game? I'm unsure of this, but I seem to recall that you could only add up to three new techs or units in Civ II before you had to go back and delete one of the originals. Will this be remedied in Civ III? In addition to this, I want to know if it will be possible for a user (me) to fix it so that the discovery of a particular technology renders it impossible for any other civ to use the benefits of said technology (or at least impossible to discover said technology). The reason I ask has to do with civ-specific units. I would like to be able to (as another has mentioned) allow civ-specific units, while making them generic. In other words, I would like for any civ to be able to shoot for "Legionary Training" once it has the pre-reqs, but for only one civ to be able to get it during the game. This could be added as a single flag (or a number, if I wished, say, 3 civs to be able to get Legions) after the technology in question. This suggestion might do more towards appeasing the anit-CSU contingent.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old June 20, 2001, 23:03   #2
Kestrel
Warlord

Local Time: 10:58
Here, Here !

I agree completely with the above.

Customisability of this (and other) sorts is the key to the sustained interest in Civ3 of the user community.

The more that can be modified by scenario / mod-makers, the better.
Old June 21, 2001, 01:44   #3
Paul L
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:58
Quote:
I'm unsure of this, but I seem to recall that you could only add up to three new techs or units in Civ II before you had to go back and delete one of the originals.
In FW you could add 11 techs and units (12 techs if you include the not used tech plumbing). I'm sure civIII will allow even more. They have raised quite a few expectations regarding customizability, personally I hope we can add city improvements and tweak their effects, have way more possible events and can influence the AI to a high degree.
Old June 21, 2001, 04:27   #4
ContradictioN

hehe Paul, I now remember where I saw that pic of that girl, she's really pretty, I dunno if anyone saw it, but in one scene, when she was playing Anarchy, she walked off smiling in slight embarrasment, very cute lol

Old June 21, 2001, 05:12   #5
AroSch
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Neu Demogyptica
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Kestrel
Customisability of this (and other) sorts is the key to the sustained interest in Civ3 of the user community.

The more that can be modified by scenario / mod-makers, the better.
YES! It should be EASY to edit all these things. I hope, it will be possible to make our own animated units .
Old June 21, 2001, 06:29   #6
Grumbold
Emperor

I am deeply impressed with the way WesW and colleagues have managed to implement unique units in CtP2. Essentially each player to research a tech has a chance of obtaining the special unit associated with it. If they don't, then the next to complete research has a chance. If they do, then they cannot get another special unit from the same "age". So it allows you to shoot for what you want without making it 100% guaranteed you will always get the special unit you desire.
Old June 28, 2001, 16:35   #7
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 06:58
BUMP. Sorry. I'm really hopeful to get a response.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'