Old May 18, 2000, 04:15   #1
artorius
Settler

Local Time: 22:38
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Civ2 Gold Bug at startup
I was an avid Civ 2 Gold player for several months and then moved on to other things for awhile. Now when I try to run it again it gives an error message in a small window at startup saying:
Get Frame (title of window)
"ICDECOMPRESSEX returned -3"
There's an "OK" box, so I click on that, but it just pops back up. It does this about forty (no kidding) times and then lets me play for awhile, but the game crashes on the first AI turn. I've uninstalled and reinstalled it twice with no success. Anyone else have this problem?
Old May 19, 2000, 05:11   #2
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Are you using something like DoubleDisk to extend the capacity of your hard drive(s)?? This looks like the sort of error that such a piece of software might generate. If so try moving Civ to an uncompressed segment of drive - its only a very small game by modern standards and your problem might go away.
Good civin'

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
Old May 20, 2000, 13:43   #3
artorius
Settler

No, but I did add a new hard drive since the last time I played. That bumped the CD-Rom drive letter down and the problem seems to occur at startup or whenever the program tries to contact the CD. I turned off music, movies and the High Council and now I can play without a crash, I just get that error at startup.

Thanks for answering!
Old May 24, 2000, 06:06   #4
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 00:38
Local Date: October 31, 2010
This might help:
Go to the WINDOWS directory, there's a file called civ.ini (well, at least with all Civ2 versions prior to MGE ). You can open it with Notepad or something. In that file the path to the CD is mentioned. Since you added a new drive, this driveletter doesn't match anymore. Update it and everything should, eh might, work again.
[This message has been edited by Mercator (edited May 24, 2000).]
Old May 24, 2000, 17:32   #5
Kitana
Chieftain

Hi,

I have a similar problem. I get the error:
Get Frame
ICDecompressEx returns -100

when I run Civ Gold. But I run it on my room-mates computer and I don't get the error at all. The tech support at Microprose said to uninstall the game. Reinstall the game and then at the V3 patch. I've tried this with no luck. I still get the msg when any of the videos run. One question: Do you use MMX technology?

Kitana