Old June 20, 2001, 22:52   #1
Cedric Greene
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:58
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Civ 2 version comparison
A little something I decided to throw together, it's a first draft so don't go ape cause something's left out. Also this is based on the latest official patch being applied.

Civ 2 "Classic" v. "Civilization II 2.42 Custom 08-Oct-96"
Civ 2 "Conflicts in Civilization" v. "Civilization II 2.62 Scenario Support 14-Oct-96"
Civ 2 "Fantastic Worlds" v. "Civilization II 2.7.8l Scenario Editor 21-Oct-97"
Civ 2 "Multiplayer Gold Edition" v. "Civilization II Multiplayer Gold 5.4.0f Multiplayer 26-March-99 Patch 3
Civ 2 "Test of Time" v. "The Test of Time 1.1.0 Test of Time 07-Sep-99"

2.42 vs 2.62: Quitting game does not exit program. Saves may be played with either version.
2.62 vs 2.7.8l: User friendly scenario editor added. Scenario macro language expanded. Saves not compatible with older versions.
2.7.8l vs 5.4.0f (MGE 1.3): Multiplayer capability. Scenario macro language expanded. Saves not compatible with older versions. AI hostility greatly increased.
5.4.0f vs ToT 1.1.0: Graphics overhauled. Sounds overhauled. Interface overhauled. Extra games added including: Extended Original, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, and Midgard. AI hostility comparable to 2.7.8l and earlier. Can only use ToT saves.

Multiplayer Gold Edition vs UCC (Ultimate Civilization Collection I believe;-): Exact same game just different names for different parts of the world.

All scenarios included in 2.62 are compatible with 2.42. The "Best of the Net 2" scenarios included with 2.7.8l are compatible with 2.62 and 2.42. The Microprose created scenarios on 2.7.8l are NOT compatible with 2.62 or 2.42.
Old June 21, 2001, 00:35   #2
Paul L
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:58
Shouldn't you adress the increased AI hostility also?
Old June 21, 2001, 02:32   #3
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 10:58
No flames -- I think you got it exactly correct. There is (I believe only in the UK) an animal called the "Ultimate Civ II Multiplayer" which is the UCC executable with none of the scenarios or other goodies. Upgrades to v2.42 are available officially free from this site and elsewhere. Official upgrades of the MP variants are also available to patch 3 from here and elsewhere - but are variant specific. Julius' 'NoLimits' patch will work on all MP varians and converts them to nominal MGE executables.
Old July 8, 2001, 14:58   #4
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 06:58
Re: Civ 2 version comparison
Quote:
Originally posted by Cedric Greene
A little something I decided to throw together, it's a first draft so don't go ape cause something's left out. Also this is based on the latest official patch being applied.

Civ 2 "Classic" v. "Civilization II 2.42 Custom 08-Oct-96"
Civ 2 "Conflicts in Civilization" v. "Civilization II 2.62 Scenario Support 14-Oct-96"
Civ 2 "Fantastic Worlds" v. "Civilization II 2.7.8l Scenario Editor 21-Oct-97"
Civ 2 "Multiplayer Gold Edition" v. "Civilization II Multiplayer Gold 5.4.0f Multiplayer 26-March-99 Patch 3
Civ 2 "Test of Time" v. "The Test of Time 1.1.0 Test of Time 07-Sep-99"

2.42 vs 2.62: Quitting game does not exit program. Saves may be played with either version.
2.62 vs 2.7.8l: User friendly scenario editor added. Scenario macro language expanded. Saves not compatible with older versions.
2.7.8l vs 5.4.0f (MGE 1.3): Multiplayer capability. Scenario macro language expanded. Saves not compatible with older versions. AI hostility greatly increased.
5.4.0f vs ToT 1.1.0: Graphics overhauled. Sounds overhauled. Interface overhauled. Extra games added including: Extended Original, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, and Midgard. AI hostility comparable to 2.7.8l and earlier. Can only use ToT saves.

Multiplayer Gold Edition vs UCC (Ultimate Civilization Collection I believe;-): Exact same game just different names for different parts of the world.

All scenarios included in 2.62 are compatible with 2.42. The "Best of the Net 2" scenarios included with 2.7.8l are compatible with 2.62 and 2.42. The Microprose created scenarios on 2.7.8l are NOT compatible with 2.62 or 2.42.

I have TOT - a few friendly corrections and additions.

My understanding is that AI aggressiveness is comparable to MGE. I've found OCC virtually impossible.

Only TOT designed scenarios may be played, however a conversion utility (by Angelo Scotto) is available and quite functional. Also there are modpacks available for "classic graphics". Also option to play with or without animations.

LOTM
Old July 8, 2001, 16:54   #5
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Local Time: 05:58
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul L
Shouldn't you adress the increased AI hostility also?
He plainly stated hostility increased.
Old July 9, 2001, 16:06   #6
The Andy-Man
Prince

Local Time: 10:58
you would have thought that the most up to dat civ2 (ToT) would have had the capability to run all the other scenarios - scenarios = 3/4 of the fun of the game (great big battles withpout tedious builidng of ancient empires)