Old June 21, 2001, 19:23   #1
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 13:00
Local Date: October 31, 2010
c173# IMITATION THE SINCEREST FORM OF FLATTERY?
Civ3 continues to dominate the subjects discussed in the Column.

Sheepy99 writes the 173rd article, titled: IMITATION THE SINCEREST FORM OF FLATTERY?

As we have announced, for a period of three weeks we are be posting 2 articles per week. If you would like to help us keep the Column at this pace, submit an article.

Last edited by MarkG; June 21, 2001 at 19:32.
Old June 22, 2001, 03:40   #2
LaRusso
King

Well, he mentions Imperialism II and Diplomacy. Trade system seems to be akin to that of Imperialism II with all the blockades and resources balancing. I am sure, however, that it will not get as tedious and as micromanaging as Imperialism II was.
As for Diplomacy, Civ or any other computer game (not a mulitiplayer one, that is) will never be able to recreate the excitement of that double-crossing masterpiece. Everyone who played it, knows what I am talking about (ditto, Machiavelli, the latest AH incarnation...). Even if online MP diplomacy might look really great, it will never be as nerve-wrecking as head-to-head dealing with guys who look you straight into the face and LIE .
Still, I place great hopes into new trade/diplomacy system....
Old June 22, 2001, 07:12   #3
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 12:00
The fascinating (and frustrating) thing about watching civ 3 grow is the meld of ideas coming from Civ 2, SMAC, other games and new concepts. The problem is that there is never a 100% concensus on whether any particular idea is an improvement or step backwards. With issues like engineers/public works, social engineering vs fixed governments or the unit builder the community is practically tied 50/50.

I WANT to be positive about Civ 3, and I do think that whatever Firaxis produce will be a very playable game. However their emphasis on taking Civ 2 only a few careful steps forward I find disappointing because it does not seem to be absorbing the best ideas of all the other Civ inspired games that have appeared since. They aren't flattering other games enough

P.S. I admit to being someone who positively detests Diplomacy. If nothing in Civ 3 comes remotely close to that game, apart from the generic concept of having to negotiate treaties, I shall be delighted. Give it a few years and when we all have webcams and built into our monitors and headsets as standard the multiplayer bargaining can really take off with realtime sound and audio streaming.
Old June 22, 2001, 07:47   #4
LaRusso
King

Speaking of which, how much are webcams in your country? Here a Logitech is ca. 60 USD, which is a tad expensive, IMHO.

Did you ever play boardgame Civilization? That is a great one for getting loaded and cursing your best friends....if a bit too long. I feel groggy 2 days afterwards....Republic of Rome and Machiavelli were also rather good...
Old June 22, 2001, 13:08   #5
ENGINEER
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:30
I'm actually looking forward to Civ 3 no matter what. I like all of the different civ games (yes even CTP II) because they are all different and I occasionally enjoy going back to one for it's different gameplay. I'm just afraid that everbody has such high expections that they will be disappointed no matter what. Like a movie you have been waiting for forever that is not nearly as good as you "imagined" it would be. (Episode I)
Old June 27, 2001, 12:20   #6
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 11:00
I agree... CivIII should incorporate many games to make itself great.

But why stop with those mentioned!
Use Sim City I to simulate the city square building (or city building) in the game!
Old July 4, 2001, 12:51   #7
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 21:00
Quote:
Originally posted by LaRusso
Speaking of which, how much are webcams in your country? Here a Logitech is ca. 60 USD, which is a tad expensive, IMHO.
About 80 - 90 Dollars Aus which equates to 40-45 US dollars ...
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old July 5, 2001, 12:37   #8
Lord_Davinator
PtWDG Roleplay
Warlord

Local Time: 16:30
I don't think you'd want to know how much they cost here...

I'm being cautions...since the last time I opened my mouth.
Old July 7, 2001, 16:39   #9
Kropotkin
Emperor

Quote:
I believe Civ 3 will be a combination of the best of Civ I &II + Alpha Centauri + Diplomacy + Imperialism II.
I've seen this before. I've been one of them. Building up great expectations for a game just to be disappointed at the end.

They hardly put more effort into a game than they need to to sell. They'll probably spend energy on graphics instead of great new ideas since it's so much easier. The result will be the same old game with a few improvement and graphics that will take up more space on your HD, make it slower and increase the risk of a crash.