Old June 22, 2001, 09:10   #1
Exile
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 06:00
Local Date: October 31, 2010
New Scenario
It is "THE AGE OF WAR." It runs from 1900-1950. The playable civs are Turkey, Spain, Germany/Austria, Russia, England, Italy, and France. Several neutral nations are "Barbarian." This version is still in the process of being tech-tree and unit tweaked, but I would welcome any playtesters' comments. Just finished the map and settings last night. It has 255 cities and the research for the correct population figures is there. Fleet strengths are accurate. Rail nets are accurate. Small events file. Very reworked tech tree. Each turn is 2 months.

The scenario was conceptualized when I realized that too often in the default game I was unsatisfied with the late industrial era. It seems that just when you have the tech to build an industrial army, (rifles, artillery, cavalry, and maybe some fighters) by the time you get an army built, your opponents have zoomed ahead with the tech race to the point where your newly-built army is now obsolete. You know that's its too late when you start getting hit by cruise missles. So I designed this scenario for myself, to revel in the period of industrial warfare; the World Wars. Most of the naval units cannot deliver coastal attacks and there are no submarines--submarine warfare is handled in a different way, via events. The scenario was constructed on the Emperor setting, and most civs have a large number of cities. Civil unrest will be a continuing problem. Although the Spanish and Turkish civs are rather lackluster, they are playable, though not to the extent that the French, English, Russians, Italians, and especially Germans are. There are a few civ-specific units, but most of the units are reminicent of a modpack-type approach. Different civs do face different problems, however. The game starts with all civs except France and England in fiscal crisis, so establishing trade routes is imperative and can be accomplished quickly, as all powers have a good number of freight units already on the board. There is a strong impetus to peaceful relations during the first 50 turns or so while the civs pull their economies together.

If you'd like a copy, let me know and I'll send one to you.

Salutations,
Exile
"Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.
Old June 22, 2001, 09:18   #2
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 12:00
Send it to me

Last edited by Henrik; June 23, 2001 at 03:34.
Old June 22, 2001, 10:00   #3
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 11:00
I'll take one too.

Exile, nice Avatar. I've seen it somewhere before...

Ioanes
Old June 22, 2001, 12:54   #4
Spanky
Chieftain

Sounds great - I'll have one too, if you please.
Old June 22, 2001, 17:28   #5
Grothgar
Prince

Hey exile ill playtest it finnished my exams today so ill be putting the finnishing touches to my scen I like your dracula one. very querky. But send it to Grothgar_1999@yahoo.com thanx

"You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs but it's amazing how many eggs you can break without making a decent omelette"
Old June 22, 2001, 23:42   #6
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 21:00
Sounds interesting. Please send a copy to me at: nick_dowling@hotmail.com
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old June 22, 2001, 23:59   #7
Exile
King

Acknowledged
Ok, Case and Grothgar, a copy will be on its way in a half an hour or so. JMarks and Spanky, I need an email address as I can't seem to attach anything to emails that originate from this board.

Exile
Old June 23, 2001, 04:27   #8
Spanky
Chieftain

Sure thing, Exile. You can send it to anklin@hotmail.com.

Thanks in advance!
Old June 23, 2001, 09:07   #9
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Should have thought myself
Duh, JMark_s@yahoo.com

Looking forward to it.
Old June 23, 2001, 20:57   #10
Grothgar
Prince

One thing exile. Your long range fighter unit actually has less range than the normal fighter. hmm odd hey lol

"You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs but it's amazing how many eggs you can break without making a decent omelette"
Old June 24, 2001, 01:34   #11
Exile
King

Hmmmm?
Really? Did you notice that the long range fighter has a "range" of 2, like bombers? Whereas the monoplane fighter has a "range" of only 1. The monoplane fighter has more movement points in a single turn, but the LR fighter can move out there, shoot at enemy planes, and then return to base on the following turn.

I think that this is what you're referring to. I'll look into it anyway.

Grothgar, any comments on technology acquistion? Right now this is the area I'm focusing my revisions on. So far, the tech paradigm has gone from 2-1 to 4-1 now at 6-1. It may require a higher setting yet to achieve the desired results.

Would you like me to send you a copy of the latest version? A lot of the minor, stupid mistakes have been dealt with. Testing might be more enjoyable with a tech situation that is closer to my intentions of how the game should go. Frankly, I think 8-1 is just about inevitable. We'll see.

Thanks,
Exile
Old June 24, 2001, 09:46   #12
Grothgar
Prince

Oops dont i feel sheepish Actually i didnt notice that. oops lol. Tech acquistion is a bit fast i think especially if you play as england. I was getting a tech a turn after a while. So lancaster bombers in 1912 you might have to put it up but its still an enjoyable game also i love the map!!!
Sorry about the LRFighter lol

Old June 24, 2001, 10:07   #13
Exile
King

Not a problem.
Don't sweat it, Grothgar. I sent it out in hopes that the testers would point out every flaw. Please keep looking for them. The tech acquistion is being made more difficult with every hour that goes by. The tech tree has been tweaked even more since the last message. 6 to 1 tech paradigm has been working well so far. I may stop it right there. But more testing is necessary.

I'm glad you like the map. It's just about the largest map of Europe that I could find. It came from the old "Long 19th Century," which is a marathon Napoleonic Wars scenario. But inside the scenario folder, the map is in a separate file, convenient for use. I did, however, modify it to suit my tastes. A lot of terrain and terrain specials were changed, and the top of the map in the Russian east was all altered to a custom-made terrain, taiga; boreal forests. I'm also thinking about customizing the desert terrain to make much more worthless; no shields or trade. Did anyone notice the Ploesti oilfields in central Rumania?

Thanks,
Exile

Last edited by Exile; June 24, 2001 at 10:14.
Old June 24, 2001, 17:43   #14
Grothgar
Prince

Yes i did notice the oilfields i was wondering how you did that but it was a jungle graphic wasnt it. And also the desert terrain doesnt have any trade or shields to my knowledge. But again i could be wrong lol. One thing about this scen is the constant state of war between almost every nation apart from the one that the player is. This is the problem that Andrew Livings identified in his Crisi Scen that the AI doesnt like it if your sharing a landmass with you and they get aggressive. And seeing as there is only 3 land masses on this game the AI gets mighty pissed off But apart from that i love this. And i might be using the map for something after i finnish my other scen

Old June 24, 2001, 19:46   #15
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 21:00
Exile, what version of Civ 2 is this for? When I tried to load the original .scn file I was told that it was for a latter version then my version of civ2 (FW)

I suspect that I'm going to have to find a copy of MGE sometime soon...
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old June 24, 2001, 20:12   #16
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

So far...
So good. I've only been able to play it today. The largest qualm I have really is that it doesn't encompase the world, no more far flung colonies. I guess there's enough of that to keep some of that flavor in, I guess. :sigh: However, I do like the set up. I'll report further when I have more to say.

Ioanes
Old June 25, 2001, 11:49   #17
Exile
King

Latest version . . .
Is now available. The tech paradigm is up to 7 to 1. The Arms Race wonder is now only available with the Militarism tech, which means that the Germans will undoubtedly get it first. The tech tree has been modifed again.

Just so you know;

I have decided that the scenario is more for multi-play that solo use. The MGE AI is just too aggressive to stay out of war for more than 3 or 4 turns.

Yes, Case, I have MGE, mainly because it was the only version I could purchase when I finally bought it. I think that there is a converter around somewhere, but not too sure about how effective it is. Seems like I heard some complaints somewhere.

The tech German Empire, a "no,no" tech given to the German at start for them to build custom units, is actually Space Flight, and hence makes them a little less likable.

Land Reform tech is actually Mysticism, therefore making the churches a little more effective; a trick that I often use.

If anyone want the latest version, let me know and it'll be on its way.

Exile
Old June 25, 2001, 14:36   #18
Grothgar
Prince

Go on then

Grothgar_1999@yahoo.com

you know i like this. maybe now the techs will be more realistic

Old June 25, 2001, 14:49   #19
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

I'll take an updated version too. Please send to previous address.

Furthermore, even though this is still art in work, I propose starting a PBEM game with the updated Age of War, should there be enough consent among scenario holders, and of course the author. It is after all inteded as a multiplayer game, lets test it as one!

So how about it?

Ioanes
Old June 25, 2001, 15:34   #20
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Yes, why not exile
Old June 25, 2001, 18:00   #21
Grothgar
Prince

Yes Ill do a PBEM game as long as i get to be Britain!!!! being after all a patriotic englishman i think its only right lol. of course i have to get the updated bit yet also no exams!!!

Old June 26, 2001, 03:38   #22
Exile
King

It's a good idea . . .
But perhaps a little premature in its implementation. See my response in the other thread. I'm glad that there is a favorable response to this beast, but I'd be more comfortable if it was a bit more polished. I suspect that there are still many little problems to work out.

Exile
Old June 26, 2001, 21:46   #23
Grothgar
Prince

Dont worry exile us civ players arnt that fussed as long as the scenario is fun which yours is. and what better way to find out all the little flaws than to have a big pbem game of it

P.S fancy playing in the game? russia is still open (althought could get tricky for russia see other post ) as is spain and turkey

How about it exile?

Old June 26, 2001, 23:33   #24
Exile
King

Sounds like fun . . .
But I'll pass. I've come to the conclusion that it wouldn't be fair to the other players for me to run one of the majors. Can you imagine me running Germany against other human civs? I know exactly what defending troops are where in all the other states. Would you want to be France? Russia?

Please let me fix the "barbarian" problem, though. This is the one glaring bug that needs to be fixed before a pbem game. Otherwise, I say go ahead.

Just so you know;

At this stage of development, I sit down and load up the scenario. I get a blank piece of paper and pen. Play the scen. Whenever I see something that needs to be changed to improve the thing, I write it down. When the paper is full on front side and back, or when the game is hopelessly screwed up, it's time to quit. Then I go back in and start making changes. Repeat process next day, or a few hours later.

I am still doing this.

The result is that the scenario gets better and better. This process is helped, however, by additional playtesting by others. Right now, Henrik and Jesus Munoz have offered invaluable assistance in this regard and I am always grateful for their efforts. If anyone has spotted things that seem to be problems, by all means email me and let's chat; Exile@rmi.net

Salutations,
Exile
Old June 27, 2001, 00:28   #25
Aragon
Prince

ill test it
dabbler8623@aol.com
Old July 2, 2001, 02:09   #26
KhanMan
Prince

Exile,

Glad to see you're still creating good scenarios .

After a long time off from civ and apolyton, I'm back, finishing up a run through ImperialRome, and itching for more great scernarios...mind sending me a copy yo try?

khanmaned@hotmail.com

in case you've forgotten...

Can't wait to see this.

Regards,
KhanMan
Old July 2, 2001, 07:40   #27
Exile
King

Sure Thing, Khan.
Just let me make some more improvements to the thing today. Thanks to the comments and assistance coming from the various playtesters, its shaping up nicely and it looks as if a final version is not far off.

I'll send it to you sometime later today. Do you want the accompanying sound files?

Glad to see you back.

Salutations,
Exile