Old June 22, 2001, 09:47   #1
AkwaticDudeCity
Warlord

Local Time: 11:00
Local Date: October 31, 2010
global warming
Is it possible to prevent global warming through editing alpha.txt?
When bases produce 60 (i think) minerals per turn, the base becomes a pollutor, and in time (and along with other polluting bases) it causes global warming. To prevent the effects of global warming, rising of sea levels, a solar shade can be launched (or increased if it has been launched already). The solar shade neutralises a set amount of a rising of the sea level .
I see to it that my bases have just enough mineral output not to cause global warming. But the problem is that other factions don't care about global warming. And what's worse, their mineral output is not high enough to cause enough pollution to raise the sea level high enough for it to be neutralised 100% by the solar shade. For example last time i played, the University caused pollution that would raise the sea levels by 75 meters, while increasing the Solar Shade would lower them by 333 or so meters. This caused me to quickly end the game through a Diplomatic Victory. But i did not want to, i wanted to keep playing. But if i did i would have to face the horribly tedious task of raising/lowering land at some places. This is also the only thing i dont like about SMAC, that i cant have a clean end-game. In civ i could prevent pollution 100% through the Solar Plant/Mass Transit combo. There is no such thing in SMAC.
So what can i do to solve this problem? Should i edit the Alpha.txt? If so, how and what?
Or should i increase my mineral production to increase pollution. Thereby causing a greater rise of the sea level. For this to work ineed to know whether 333 meters is the maximum amount the sea level will rise and what the minimum amount of mineral production should be to cause the maximum in the rise of the sea level. This way i can just increase my production and increase the solar shade every time i get the message that sea levels are rising.
Who has a solution for me?

Thank you
Old June 22, 2001, 11:20   #2
Ned
King

Local Time: 03:00
Dude, Why don't you eliminate the ED problem in the first place. You will find more over in the thread on BASE SIZE and POLLUTION, but the nut of it is that you add to the number of minerals your bases can produced without eco-damage by constructing Tree Farms, Hybrid Forests, Centauri Preserves and Temple's of the Planet - all after the first "pop." Each facility built built anywhere increases the number of so-called "clean minerals" everywhere in your faction. All bases benefit.

I have had games where I had bases producing 250+ minerals without ED.

(Hint, Build, sell, Build CP's. It not the number you have, but the number you build.)

Ned
Old June 22, 2001, 14:20   #3
Cybergod
Prince

Local Time: 12:00
I posted a reply to this on your thread in the Creation section
Old June 22, 2001, 15:34   #4
AkwaticDudeCity
Warlord

Local Time: 11:00
Thanks for the advice Ned, but the problem is not my faction's ED, it's the ED from other factions that's bothering me.
Old June 22, 2001, 16:06   #5
b&i_c
Chieftain

Yeah, the AI needs to have a way better understanding of global warming and the need for solar shades (it needs a lot of stuff but this is one of the most important).
It really bites when you built ToPs in all of your cities and have practically no ED, but the AI just lets it run rampent. AND THEN SAYS NO TO A SOLAR SHADE
Old June 22, 2001, 19:01   #6
Ned
King

Well, Dude, that is the very problem several of us have been wrestling with in the thread about balancing factions. We need to get the AI to build infrastructure, particularly tree farms and hybrid forests, to themselves build up their own clean minerals.

I have been successful in this by simply making all the factions pacifist and adding "build" to their interests. They then spend very little time fighting each other and spend more of their time building such faciliities as Tree Farms.

Try this, and see what happens.

Ned
Old June 23, 2001, 00:58   #7
b&i_c
Chieftain

How do you "make" them like that?
Old June 23, 2001, 02:39   #8
Ned
King

Two ways: Using the leader tab on the faction editor, or faster, use the file manager to group and select all the files in the 4-5k range in the SMAC folder, and choose copy, and paste them into a new folder you create. This will back these files up.

Then do it again and choose Open with Notepad. All the faction .txt files will then open for edit. These are the files that control a faction profile.

One by one, change the param line ending from whatever it is to

-1, 0, 1, 1, 1

which corresponds to Pacifist, no interest in conquer, interest in discovery, interest in technology, and interest in building. Save, and then start a new game.

After you start, verify what you just did by typing Ctrl-K, and see if all factions personalities are pacifist and that the governers are set to discovery, science, build but not conquer.

Ned
Old June 23, 2001, 02:51   #9
b&i_c
Chieftain

Ah, well I don't really go for changing stuff like that, it would suck if the Spartans never attacked. The game would lose all feeling.

Now if Firaxis made another patch for SMAX that improved the AIs understanding of ED and Global warming... After all, they already made one that inproved their understanding of Solar Shades.
Old June 23, 2001, 02:58   #10
Ned
King

They do attack - you, but not each other.

If you would like a little more excitement, just make the first setting 0 and not -1. This is the "use force sometimes" option. Hopefully, the AI will attack you and not its brethern.

Ned