Old June 22, 2001, 12:23   #1
scion
Settler

Local Time: 11:01
Local Date: October 31, 2010
help for a playstation player
Hello.
I’m a novice civ player. Actually, I have only played the game on playstation. Although I’ve only played two full games I think I’m addicted. Anyway, for this third game I thought I’d try to conquer the world. There are a few things I don’t understand: when I switch to a democracy from a monarchy a lot of units are disbanded and a lot of cities are in disorder – even with a 3-4-3 allocation. Then, of course, the government collapses. What’s the best way to switch to democracy w/out losing too much, or having the government collapse?

Secondly, what are the best ways to get a high amount of production? Whenever I’ve played it seems like I’m usually last in production. Also, when cities reach about 21-24 how do I get them from depleting their food stores and starving?

If anyone knows of good websites for the civ ii playstation version please let me know.

Thanks for any help (I need it)!
Old June 22, 2001, 12:33   #2
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 06:01
The questions you ask don't sound playstation specific.
You should be able to browse around in the strategy forum and find your answers.

On the change to dem from monarchy
First each offensive unit costs a shield in support. so make sure you have enough shields in each city before you change. Or reassign a few troops to different cities to balance. Or don't build so many units at first. Which is probably the reason you're last in production.

Build a happiness wonder or happiness city improvemnets. 3-4-3 should be easily good enough to keep people happy under normal circumstances. (unless you have too many units outside of the city, since each one causes two unhappies.) You have to plan a little better before switching.

RAH
Old June 22, 2001, 13:08   #3
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 07:01
Sorry if this is too basic, but you need temples, Michelangelo's Chapel and J.S. Bach's cathedral. If you don't already have roads almost everywhere, build them. This will boost your trade enormously. If there are hills in your city radii, mine them then build roads and railroads on them. Build RRs on all the squares already producing multiple trade arrows or shields. If you still don't have enough production, mine some plains and grassland to forests. Have you built factories? Last question: Have you simply concentrated too much on your military development? You need so many city improvements it's not funny. For your food dilemma, discover refrigeration, build farmland on all of your irrigated squares, build a supermarket in the city, and watch the food stocks pile up.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old June 22, 2001, 13:38   #4
scion
Settler

Thanks for the help.
I'll try building more rr and roads, as well as mining hills for the additional production.

I think my main problem when switching over to dem is that i've got too many military units. i suppose this is b/c i've been fighting too much and not concentrating on city improvements.

Thanks again for your suggestions.
Old June 22, 2001, 13:48   #5
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

If you like having (and using) a large military - Demo is simply not the government for you (at least not until you have a lot more experience) You want to try Communism - in civ this plays like a super Monarchy or Fundamentalism - my personal favourite. The fastest route is to race to Demo and then build the Statue of Liberty - this wonder allows you to switch to any government whether or not you have discovered the tech!