Old June 22, 2001, 23:44   #1
splangy
Prince

Local Time: 06:01
Local Date: October 31, 2010
this peeses me off!
bad news,

"It's simply a matter of time: the sheer amount of art we have to do for each Civ really constrains us. As I've stated numerous times before, we consciously chose quality over quantity. I'd personally rather have 16 very high-quality and distinctive civs than 48 cookie-cutter civs, anyway."-Dan Mahagana.

so they chose quality over quantity? great, except THEY TOOK ALOT OF CIVS AWAY FOR FLASHY GRAFICS

but here is some good new's!

"And, with the editors, people will be able to create whatever Civs they want."

taken from the forums at- http://www.civfanatics.com/
Old June 23, 2001, 00:56   #2
joseph1944

Re: this peeses me off!
Quote:
Originally posted by splangy
bad news,

"It's simply a matter of time: the sheer amount of art we have to do for each Civ really constrains us. As I've stated numerous times before, we consciously chose quality over quantity. I'd personally rather have 16 very high-quality and distinctive Civs than 48 cookie-cutter Civs, anyway."-Dan Mahagana.

so they chose quality over quantity? great, except THEY TOOK ALOT OF CIVS AWAY FOR FLASHY GRAPHICS

but here is some good new's!

taken from the forums at- http://www.civfanatics.com/
Maybe we should wait for the game to be release before we get to upset. We might find out the game is a great game and also we then might realize why they did not add more Civs to the game. Of course it would have been nice to included all of the Civs from Civ 2 and maybe a few more, but we will find out soon enough. The real change I hope they made this time is that you can play every combination of Civs instead of you pick either American, China, Persia. But can not play with the America, Chinese and Persian in the same game.

Old June 23, 2001, 00:58   #3
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 21:01
hmmmm, quality over quantity they say , yet they waste plenty of prigrammaing time and graphics on stupid civ specific units
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old June 23, 2001, 01:07   #4
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 19:01
I agree that civ-specific units are silly, I much prefer having unique units, which are units that any civ can acquire once they have the prerequsites. Each civ can have only a limited number of unique unit types (either 1 or 2), and once a unique unit type is taken other civs can't make them.

Given constrains, however, I do prefer quality over quantity. Yeah there are lots of units in CtP but how many do you really use?
Old June 23, 2001, 01:43   #5
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

my point exactly , too many units to choose from already... and why limit the units to jsut the firs to research tha ttype, i think that all civs should ahve sam research paths open to them and leave it up to the leader to decide what he researches instead of limiting his/her chooses artificialy
Old June 23, 2001, 02:34   #6
joseph1944

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
I agree that civ-specific units are silly, I much prefer having unique units, which are units that any civ can acquire once they have the prerequisites. Each civ can have only a limited number of unique unit types (either 1 or 2), and once a unique unit type is taken other Civs can't make them.

Given constrains, however, I do prefer quality over quantity. Yeah there are lots of units in CTP but how many do you really use?
I have not hear one way or another that only one Civ can build Civ Specific Unit. I have hear that Unique Units can be built by anyone who has the correct material to build it. When Firaxis come out and said only one civ can build the Legions then I will belive it.

Old June 23, 2001, 04:00   #7
ContradictioN

Hey dudes, just trust in Firaxis huh, I'm sure they know what they're doing. I'm sure they've been playing the game, and I'm sure they can tell if their ideas suck or not. They're not the type of company to release sucky programs like many other's do.

Old June 23, 2001, 05:45   #8
Ralf
King

Local Time: 12:01
Re: this peeses me off!
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Mahaga
"As I've stated numerous times before, we consciously chose quality over quantity.
This is great news!

Compare with Test Of Time. That team choosed quantity over quality instead. Did TOT become a success?? No...
They never changed/ upgraded anything under the hood. The graphics-update was weak. They mostly added quantity-ideas, like multi-plane maps + SciFi- and fantasy-stuff, which one often couldnt relate to in a meaningful way.

Quote:
I'd personally rather have 16 very high-quality and distinctive civs than 48 cookie-cutter civs, anyway.
If "high-quality" and "distintictive" means strong, but distinctively different AI-strategies, I all for it. I much rather choose upto 6-7 strong & characteristic AI-civs from a palette of 16 possible choices, then play against 40+ lame & uniform mini-empires.
IF its really possible to play with all 16 civs on the map, I at least hope that they have implemented some good anti-BAB (bigger always better) measures, so that cities in small and perhaps more passive AI-empires is given some advantages that similar big empire cities dont have. Preferably much less happiness-problems with huge cities within small empires. This would counteract the BAB-problem somewhat.

I have also come to terms with the Civ-specific units idea, since it only adds 1-2 specials to each Civ. Big deal. I think it will be fun.

If "distinctive civs" means anything rigid, like the cardboard-cut SMAC-faction +/- benefits, I dont like it. I have some doubths however, because the SE-system has been confirmed, NOT being a part of Civ-3.
If they nevertheless implemented something like this - it most probably can be checkbox-optional (like in AOK).

I am STILL not sure about the faction-style +/- science, trade, growth & battle-benefits to each Civ from the very beginning. Has it, or has it not been implemented?? Have you guys read anything that confirms this 100%?

Quote:
Hmm. I fear the worst about those +/- benefits attached to each Civ, from the very beginning. Still - even if its optional, it would be nice if this could be confirmed to be true, or not true - once and for all.

Last edited by Ralf; June 23, 2001 at 07:15.
Old June 23, 2001, 07:24   #9
bigfree1

Great post Ralf! I couldn't agree more.

I trust Firaxis !

Have they let you down yet? They've done right by me so far.
They've done nothing to erode that trust

Old June 23, 2001, 22:15   #10
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 06:01
Quote:
he sheer amount of art we have to do for each Civ really constrains us.
when we make custom civs, will WE have to do all that art crap?
Old June 24, 2001, 03:49   #11
TechWins
King

Local Time: 04:01
I could care less if the Civ-specific unit is in or not. If I like it great but if I don't I'll just check the no box for Civ-specific units. I don't see why people were still complaining about the whole thing even after Firaxis said there would be an option to turn it off. They said it in a thread a little over a month ago.
Old June 24, 2001, 05:26   #12
ContradictioN

I will be leaving it on, I think its a great idea

Old June 24, 2001, 06:04   #13
Footie Mad
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by ContradictioN
I will be leaving it on, I think its a great idea
I agree for the simple reason that im sure it will be fun even though it might be a little imbalanced.
Old June 24, 2001, 06:29   #14
Ralf
King

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
when we make custom civs, will WE have to do all that art crap?
It has been confirmed by Firaxis that also more simple, non-animated unit-graphics can be created/used by scenario-designers. They probably add a similar non-aminated replacement-set for standard Civ-3 units, as well. An alternative for those with "nose just above water" computer-specs. Dont worry.
Old June 24, 2001, 07:22   #15
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Death to distinctive civs!
Don't these people ever think of the multiplayers?

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old June 24, 2001, 10:06   #16
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

i am very scared that this may become another civ2 .. a great Single palyer game that later had a patch up to make it MP./..