Old August 31, 2001, 12:27   #121
Jimmywax
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 05:01
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I don't think I am going to get banned. I was just in an apologetic mood yesterday and jumped to conclusions. I just got off topic and Mark G closed the thread.

My original question still stands though. Does anyone know of any links that list which boats took part in the Korean war. The only one I can find info on is the Missouri. I also need to find a site that lists other countries contributions to the U.N. force.
Old August 31, 2001, 20:28   #122
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 21:01
Quote:
Originally posted by Jimmywax
Does anyone know of any links that list which boats took part in the Korean war. The only one I can find info on is the Missouri. I also need to find a site that lists other countries contributions to the U.N. force.
This site lists all the carriers the USN sent: http://www.history.navy.mil/branches/koreaob.htm
And this one all the ships eligible for Korean Service medals (which I guess means all the USN ships which served off Korea): http://www.history.navy.mil/medals/kormedal/korea-a.htm

And google has a very large collection of links here: http://directory.google.com/Top/Soci...ts/Korean_War/

Australia contributed the Aircraft Carrier 'HMAS Sydney', which flew numerous airstrikes, and large numbers of destroyers. From memory Britain also sent out several carriers.

BTW Jimmy, I suggest that you start a new thread for this before Warvoid and MarkG come and yell at you again!
(unless you want to be :banned: )
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old September 1, 2001, 01:15   #123
Jimmywax
Prince

Thanks, I went to that first site the other night. I must have missed that link though.

I don't suppose that you had a picture of that fine aussie boat do you.
Old September 1, 2001, 01:38   #124
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

More threadjacking
Jimmy, here you go:

To quote from the website of the current holder of the RAN's proudest name:

"The third HMAS SYDNEY was laid down at Devonport England, as the Majestic class light aircraft carrier HMS TERRIBLE in 1943. She was commissioned in December, 1948. She was equipped with Hawker Sea Fury fighter and Fairey Firefly attack aircraft.

In 1951 and 1952 HMAS SYDNEY 3 operated with the United Nations forces in Korean waters. She participated in many actions and created a light fleet carrier record when she achieved 89 aircraft sorties in one day.

The ship continued in service as a carrier until 1955 when her newer sister ship, HMAS MELBOURNE, took over the RAN's aircraft carrier role. SYDNEY then served as a training ship until she was decommissioned in 1958. However, in 1962 she was reactivated and converted to a fast troop transport until her eventual retirement in 1973. During the period SYDNEY was the training ship for many new members of the RAN and from 1965 she was heavily committed to the support of the Australian Task Force in Vietnam. Altogether she made 24 troop transport visits to Vietnam, which earned her the nickname "Vung Tau Ferry"

(I now urge you to create a new thread, or risk keel-hauling for treadjacking )
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	sydney3.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	2211  
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
Old September 1, 2001, 03:05   #125
Scott F
Prince

Local Time: 06:01
http://warships1.com/AUSTcvl01_Sydney.htm

http://warships1.com/BRcvl08_Majestic.htm

http://warships1.com/BRcvl08_Bonaventure_prtfrt.jpg
Old September 1, 2001, 12:50   #126
Jimmywax
Prince

Thanks guys, I believe my thread jacking days are over, FOR NOW. Muh-wah ha ha ha !
Old September 24, 2001, 20:52   #127
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

*bump*
*bump* what ever happened to the scenario? i know i'm supposed to be play testing but i lost the cd.
Old September 25, 2001, 00:02   #128
Case
Emperor

Re: *bump*
Quote:
Originally posted by H Tower
*bump* what ever happened to the scenario?
I was just about to ask that as well

BTW, are the books the scenario is based on worth reading? I read Turtledove's WW2 series and found them stupid but strangely enjoyable.
Old September 25, 2001, 00:19   #129
Jimmywax
Prince

Yes they are definatly worth reading. Turtledove is an excellent Alt-history writer and should stay away from the other stuff.
Old September 25, 2001, 00:45   #130
Scott F
Prince

I'm still messing with it. I'm trying to figure out how best to add thngs like local collaboration (seen mostly in Poland and Quebec). I'm running pretty low on event space, so adding them is proving to be a real problem.

I haven't read Turtledove's books aside from the Great War series, but skimmed the summaries on their covers and found the various premises rather lacking. Aliens invading during World War 2? Southern rednecks going back in time to give Lee plans to build AK-47 assault rifles? Give me a break.

Anyhoo, I am stalling on the collaboration thing because I am not really certain how to deal with it. Most of the playability issues seem to be resolved, at least from the standpoint of the multiplayer version (which, sadly, no one seems to want to play in multiplayer for a final test). Once I get the collaboration thing fixed and can find people to multiplayer test it, I can do the individual versions for the five main players (Germany, USA, CSA, France, and Britain -- Russia not really being playable at all).
Old September 25, 2001, 14:05   #131
master on high
King

Local Time: 11:01
I'll help with Multiplayer testing. I know what a pain that can be.
Old October 6, 2001, 11:07   #132
Jimmywax
Prince

*BUMP*
*BUMP* for my own purposes
Old October 6, 2001, 15:50   #133
Scott F
Prince

I am waiting to see how these play by email games work. Might be able to arrange a multiplayer game easier with that.
Old October 7, 2001, 13:49   #134
Hobbes
Warlord

Local Time: 04:01
I wanna play it NOW! waaaa!

"...gays who, because they just NEEDED their orgies..." -Mr. A. Speer
Old October 9, 2001, 13:59   #135
Scott F
Prince

Worry not. Your days of agony and waiting with baited breath are over.

I have figured out to do collaboration, albeit simplistic. I've also made a few other minor changes to prevent it from being so easy for people to just kill enemy units in huge stacks, particularly on the western front in Europe. I haven't tested this last part in a full game yet, but it should make things quite interesting.

I would like a few people to playtest it for me and see how it does now. With luck, I won't have to make any further major changes, and can then go on to make the variants for each player nation soon, after a multiplayer game of this has been attempted by someone, somewhere.

*waits for TSFE PBEM to get to around to him so as to figure out how to play a play-by-email game*

The main game files can be downloaded from here (it's for MGE and is about 800 kb in size):

http://php.indiana.edu/~sfluhr/turtledove_v12.zip

The sounds can be downloaded here (about 2.5 mb):

http://php.indiana.edu/~sfluhr/turtledovesounds.zip

Please send comments, rants, raves, and so on either to me on ICQ at 25802937 or via email at sfluhr@indiana.edu
Old October 11, 2001, 18:34   #136
master on high
King

Local Time: 11:01
a PBEM game is just a hot seat game where you play your turn, cntrl-n it, and then send it on.

it makes diplomacy a ***** though, because there are a lot more things you can do in a MP game than a PBEM game.
Old October 11, 2001, 19:56   #137
Case
Emperor

Scott, could you post a few screenshots for losers like myself who don't have MGE?
Old October 12, 2001, 01:18   #138
Scott F
Prince

Diplomacy isn't really a consideration in this scenario. I suppose that the various allies could help each other out with it, but there's no event space for specifying who can talk to who in that much detail.

I'll do some screenshots and get back to you in a little while.
Old October 12, 2001, 01:46   #139
Scott F
Prince

"De revolution! De revolution comin'!"
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	tdgw_de_revolution.gif
Views:	92
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	4085  
Old October 12, 2001, 01:48   #140
Scott F
Prince

The Second Deseret Rebellion. The Mormons of Utah rise up again.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	tdgw_deseret_rebellion.gif
Views:	95
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	4086  
Old October 12, 2001, 01:49   #141
DarthVeda
Emperor

Local Time: 07:01
It's kinda crowded in the South don't you think?
Old October 12, 2001, 01:50   #142
Scott F
Prince

Roger Kimball's CSS Bonefish stalks the USS Ericcson in the last days of the war.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	tdgw_ericcson_bonefish.gif
Views:	94
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	4087  
Old October 12, 2001, 01:54   #143
Scott F
Prince

There are a lot of cities for two reasons. First, the map is large and people could build new cities, so I used all of the city slots. And second, cramming the cities close together makes the game work better. The cities are harder to take and breakthroughs from the front line are hard to achieve. The AI can compose a much better trench-like defense this way. You can't really go around the cities at the front line to get at the weaker defended ones in the rear this way like you could in Second Reich.

------

The German battlecruiser Goeben and the armored cruiser Breslau prepare to shell French North Africa in August of 1914 before fleeing to Turkey with the British Mediterranean Fleet in hot pursuit.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	tdgw_goeben_breslau.gif
Views:	89
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	4088  
Old October 12, 2001, 01:56   #144
Scott F
Prince

As the British Grand Fleet sorties off Dogger Bank, the Irish Easter Uprising is in full swing.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	tdgw_ireland_forever.gif
Views:	87
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	4089  
Old October 12, 2001, 01:59   #145
Scott F
Prince

Admiral von Spee's two cruisers, Scharnhorst and Gneisenau, leave the German enclave at Kiachow Bay in hopes of rounding Cape Horn and making it back to Germany.

Trivia: The two WW2 battlecruisers of the same names were purposely named after Spee's two cruisers. Sort of Germany's way of thumbing its nose at the British.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	tdgw_von_spees_odyssey.gif
Views:	87
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	4090  
Old October 12, 2001, 02:01   #146
Case
Emperor

Wow. I've really got to get myself a copy of MGE. Does anyone have a copy for sale? (or a burnt backup for me to 'safeguard' here in sunny Canberra?)
Old October 12, 2001, 02:01   #147
Scott F
Prince

An armada of warships, the American Pacific battle fleet, closes on the Sandwich Islands early in the war with the goal of capturing them from the British.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	tdgw_yankee_armada_closes_on_hawaii.gif
Views:	86
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	4091  
Old October 12, 2001, 02:03   #148
Scott F
Prince

The cry of the German people, stifled and near starvation by blockade:

"Zeppelins, please save us! Burn Britain to pieces!"
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	tdgw_zeppelins_please_save_us.gif
Views:	84
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	4092  
Old October 12, 2001, 02:08   #149
Scott F
Prince

That's all the screenshots for now. Some of the other stuff like Verdun, the Brusilov offensive, and the mutiny in the French army come much later in the game, and I'm not that far along in the game I was playing that I used to make these.
Old October 12, 2001, 02:10   #150
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

i loved playing the play test version, i can't wait till you finally finish! *hangs head in shame at not helping more*