Old June 24, 2001, 08:07   #1
warmachine
Settler

Local Time: 11:04
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Stupid marines!
You equip your soldiers with the best weapons, amphibious pods and cybernetic enhancements you have and train them in your best Command Centres. You instruct them to invade a size 1, enemy city just off the coast, which already has its garrison taken out by your navy. The base is ungarrisoned and the waters are friendly. So what do they do? They invade, destroy the base and DROWN!

Elite marines, my foot! Grrr!

You're just jealous because the voices are only talking to me.
Old June 24, 2001, 10:36   #2
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 08:04
i guess you should have thought of that before you walked into the ocean. maybe you should build jesus marines so they can walk back onto the boat next time.
Old June 24, 2001, 10:56   #3
stuntman19
Prince

Yea that's what those 1-6-6-2 Gunboats are for....mopping up on small seabases.
Old June 24, 2001, 12:04   #4
Iskandar Reza
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 19:04
oooh. hate it when that happens. kick myself for forgetting that's how it it.

it's like that. it's just the way it is
"Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon
Old June 24, 2001, 13:41   #5
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 06:04
ROTFLAMO

"Theirs not to reason why, theirs but to do and die" (wet)

Time for a few remedial course at your officers academies and war college.

The next "urgent message" comming from your seething enemy will be "You are so stupid that I sahll eliminate your faction as a simple matter of good eugenics practice"
Old June 24, 2001, 14:20   #6
gwillybj
Prince

Local Time: 07:04
Location: Eurytion Mining Camp: 100°C dayside, 100°F nightside.
Remember when you capture a base it loses one pop. If it has only one pop when captured, it is destroyed. So, if you want to capture and keep a sea base, it must have two pops: one to lose and one to prevent destruction.
Old June 24, 2001, 19:16   #7
b&i_c
Chieftain

Local Time: 03:04
I still think that is stupid though, I mean the population is lost and the city becomes agandoned, but not the actual structure of the city, so I think that the marines should "attack" that city, but when they move in, they can stay there until they move onto a transport.
Old June 25, 2001, 07:41   #8
Earwicker
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Time for some swimming lessons, or the "Man from Atlantis" special ability to land units (waterbreathing).
Old June 25, 2001, 08:07   #9
warmachine
Settler

They had boats
Quote:
Originally posted by TKG
i guess you should have thought of that before you walked into the ocean. maybe you should build jesus marines so they can walk back onto the boat next time.
They had boats, or rather, amphibious pods. That's how they managed to get to the sea base in the first place. They're little better than river barges and dinghies and can't be used in open sea voyage but that doesn't matter for short trips.

Shooting the civilians who are keeping the place afloat is going to sink it but elite troops should have the sense to get back on their boats and go back to the coast or transport they came from.

No! Forget it! Time for a Stalinesque purge of the officer classes.

You're just jealous because the voices are only talking to me.
Old July 1, 2001, 20:36   #10
Ken Hinds
Prince

1. Your dealing with Marines.
2. Your pressure domes have highly technical precision access mechanisms to keep the air on the inside and the water on the outside.
3. To a man with only a hammer (High Explosives) every problem (access hatch) is a nail.

'nuff said?

Ken
Old July 2, 2001, 02:11   #11
Kirnwaffen
Warlord

Local Time: 05:04
I agree that it's stupid. They are marines, and if they can't even swim, they're screwed (in you're case, definitely) . However (and I know this doesn't make it right), it is how it is, and we must live with it.
Old July 2, 2001, 04:29   #12
Avenoct
Prince

Just like a Marine...
Just like Marines to be so loyal to their orders. 'Yes Sir! Ok, You want me to Ram the Rafts into the Flotation Devices? Great! Hey, should I Carry along a PB for fun?'

Kinda like how boats seem to hate it when the sea floor is raised up underneath them. I think I'll start another 'Stupidist Thing I ever did in SMAC' thread. We've all got our stories...so let's hear 'em!
Old July 3, 2001, 01:02   #13
Ken Hinds
Prince

Smack,

You mean like when you find a malfunctioning pod that causes an earthquake and your boat and everything in it disappears when the seafloor turns to dry land? And do those earthquakes ever lower the surrounding terrain?

Ken
Old July 3, 2001, 10:52   #14
Earwicker
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

hmmmm, what's that scraping sound?!
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Hinds
You mean like when you find a malfunctioning pod that causes an earthquake and your boat and everything in it disappears when the seafloor turns to dry land? And do those earthquakes ever lower the surrounding terrain?
Or when your land terraformers are raising the ground level right next to where a few sea formers are working (or where that Shard battleship is hugging the coastline on a GOTO command).
Old July 3, 2001, 11:00   #15
Clear Skies
Prince

Or you detonate a Tectonic Missile only to realise you've misjudged the reactor level and the blast's circumference has just wiped out a sizeable part of your navy plus a crucial sea terraforming enhancement...
I've done that before now...

Oh yeah, or when a volcano miraculously erupts right beneath a set of three Carrier Repair Trns carrying a PB, six CMs and several Quantum Tanks apiece...
Ouch!
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Old July 3, 2001, 13:28   #16
Avenoct
Prince

Yep, just like that....

..chuckles...

-Smack