Old August 7, 2000, 18:43   #1
SCDARS
Civilization II Multiplayer
Warlord

Local Time: 00:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
OCC bbeginner questions
I read right here about OCC and tried my very first game (diety/ raging hordes/ 7 civs). Now I see I wasted some time by not sticking enough to the main goal, for example building wonders to avoid that any other civ might take benefit from it.
Anyway I want to thank the one who invented OCC, it's really engaging and I linke those short turns...

1. Are there any official rules or suggestions? For instance, which map level do you recommend?

2. I'm in 1952 now have 5 SS-structurals yet, being favoured by the fusion power bonus.
Assuming a city production of 80 and enough cash to rush-build at least some of the components, what would be the quickest way to AC? Is it better to max. out the amount of SS-Components or what is the optimum? You should also take into account that each component (with its required structurals) more will cost minimum 3 turns (perhaps even more) to build...

3. Is it really needed to make the other tribes allies? I think this could det me involved into wars I don't need...

4. Some idea that came to my mind (I guess someone has already tested it out, though): Have you ever resticted yourself only to build caravans/ freights and settlers/engineers? I think it should be quite challenging not to use martial law at the beginning - and likewise letting your city open for opponents...
You optionally could allow yourself some diplos (spies seem too mighty, though)
Old August 7, 2000, 19:21   #2
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 15:41
Local Date: October 30, 2010
you must go here
[This message has been edited by Smash (edited October 28, 2000).]
Old August 7, 2000, 19:51   #3
tonic
King

Local Time: 23:41
Yes, Smash has pointed to the essential site for the ground rules and strategy. It's more helpful to play the comparisons given there as you can compare your results with others who have played before. Once you've got an idea of the strategy your current questions will be put into a more meaningful context.

For now, specifically in answer to your Question 2: The idea is that you would have built extra caravans/freight so that after the Apollo Program, you would ideally still have 9 or more, and enough gold in the coffers and net income to ensure that you can build components and modules in one turn! It is an interesting exercise to do some calculations based on various combinations of caravans to spare vs amount of gold in the coffers and amount of net income per turn. It works particularly well on a spreadsheet.

Old August 8, 2000, 21:56   #4
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 19:41
About #3, I think the point of making everyone else allies is so that you are at peace. If you are in conflicting alliances, simply choose the larger power.
Old August 9, 2000, 08:23   #5
kcbob
King

Local Time: 17:41
One other point about #3. If you're playing the MGE version, forget about kissyfacing with the other tribes. In fact, it's quite the opposite. Once you've established your three trade routes, you almost have to avoid all contact. Either that or make sure you never have so much money that they'll destroy you emotionally when they ask for 1000 gold out of your 1040 on hand.

------------------
Frodo lives!

Better dead than "Red"... or green... or blue... or yellow... or orange... or purple... or white.
Old August 9, 2000, 09:48   #6
Tom DeMille
Prince

Local Time: 18:41
Alliances offer several benefits:

1) If you are allied with someone, you are not at war with them. This means no production wasted on those pesky military units. You can usually make alliances with nearby neighbours if you discover them early enough. Yuo will often not be able to ally with 1 or 2 distant AIs, but they will be too far away to threaten you.

2) An alliance gives you a partial embassy - discoveries made by your allies are announced, giving you the opportunity to trade for them (often it will be a tech you are currently researching if you have been busy gifting most of your tech).

3) You can confidently move your caravans around an allies territory without worrying about them being destroyed.

4) You can ask your allies for gifts.

All in all, an ally is a great thing to have
Old August 9, 2000, 10:46   #7
Paul
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 00:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
5) An ally's units can't remove your people from the squares they're working on.
Old August 10, 2000, 00:29   #8
Steve Clark
King

Local Time: 17:41
Alliances are really good to have just to see how mad they get after you have taken advantaged of them before they get clobbered.