Old June 25, 2001, 17:52   #1
caralampio
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:07
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Don't take away the music
Hi,
I play Civ II MPG regularly. After upgrading some hardware (more memory, a new TNT2 video card, and a new CD RW), the next time I went to play Civilization, I couldn't hear the background music! I still can hear event sounds, intro music, diplomatic window music, and the council speaking. The game plays fine otherwise. I have no problem with other games. Well I haven't played all I have but up to now... ;-)
One thing that may be important is that my PC only supports one audio source from CD, and the technician left it connected to the new CD RW. However I have noticed that in all other games I can still hear their noises even if playing from the CD ROM. I can hear music CD's just fine from the CD RW.
Here's what I have already tried:
-Check if the Music option is on (duh).
-Reboot the computer.
-Uncheck the Music option and then check it on again.
-The above, then reboot the computer.
-Uninstall the game, and reinstall it and play it from the CD ROM.
-Uninstall the game, and reinstall it and play it from the CD RW.
I hate playing in silence, and I'm out of ideas. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Caralampio.
Old June 25, 2001, 20:26   #2
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 03:07
i am having the same problem.....
Old June 26, 2001, 05:37   #3
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 11:07
Yep - it is a pain - the problem is fairly well known ...

Civ2 being quite an old game uses conventional 'red book?' audio for its music - ie you can actually play the music tracks froma CD player

Civ2 being quite an old game doesn't bother to check its configuration file when it is playing music - just uses the the first (it assumes only) CD it comes to

Conventional PC wisdom dictates that the CD-RW is placed as the second CD drive E:\ after the normal CD/DVD in D:\

Hence your problem ... only your CD-RW can play 'red book' and Civ2 won't look at it

Towards a solution ...

There are several approaches you can take ...

fire up your favourite music player software and play the music from the CD-RW - this will probably screw up the other game related audio that is on the CD ie the wonder movies and heralds

Use System Properties from the control Panel menu to reconfigure your CD-RW as D:\ and your DVD/CD as E:\ - this should be done with great care as other software probably thinks it knows where they are

open the box and move the audio link from the CD-RW onto the CD/DVD

if you have a high spec sound card you can enable direct digital audio - this dispenses with the physical (analogue) audio cable link between CDD & sound card

if none of the above are feasible - come back and I may have some more bright ideas ...
Old June 26, 2001, 09:11   #4
drake
King

Local Time: 07:07
The music isn't that good to be worrying about it so much is it?
Old June 26, 2001, 13:39   #5
Caesar the Great
Emperor

Local Time: 06:07
I just play MP3's, I've gotten so incredibly tired of the civ 2 music, I know it by heart
Old June 26, 2001, 17:15   #6
caralampio
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:07
Thanks for all the replies, especially the one about technical aspects which was very clear.
Knowing the source of the problem, and that it isn't something BAD like corrupted drivers or something, helps a lot to stop worrying about it. You guys are right, the music isn't that much of a deal. In fact, last night I played listening to the Beatles.
I will save the suggested fixes, but I think that implementing them may be more bother than it's worth.

Caralampio