Old June 25, 2001, 23:40   #1
Exile
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 06:07
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Dll questions
Ok, I downloaded the dll gadget, gif-X-tractor and I wanna change the leader pictures in a scenario that is being developed. But the instructions simply are not adequate to get me started.

1.) Is a separate folder required? Do I have to place substitute dlls in a folder within the scenario folder?

2.) If so, how do I "get at" the original dlls that are default?

3.) Ok, I admit it. I'm an historian and game designer, not a computer whiz. Could someone run me throught the gif-X-tractor routine just once with an example so that I can see exactly how it is done?

Thanks in advance,
Exile
"Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.
Old June 26, 2001, 21:18   #2
shamrock
Warlord

Local Time: 11:07
Actually it's really easy, Exile - here's an example from the scenario I just created, "ATLANTIS: The Lost Empire ."

1. Start Gif Xtractor

2. Select "File | Open"

3. Select the .dll file you wish to edit. This file will be in your civ root directory. For this example, I've chosen "ss.dll"

4. You should now see a listing of 46 images:

Image #1 80824
Image #46 244268

5. You may recognize image#1 as the backdrop for the spaceship

6. This is the image that I want to replace, so I select "Image | Save Gif(s)..."

7. I use this GIF file as a template for the image I want to replace it with, making certain that it doesn't exceed the max size (80824 bytes). Instead of a spaceship, I want the player to build a Deep-Sea Submersible instead of a spaceship, but I can't have the submersible being built in space so I pick a more fitting backdrop.

8. Now I select "Image | Load Gif..." and load up this file.

9. I save the ss.dll and voila, this is the result:

Hope that helps!

Last edited by shamrock; June 26, 2001 at 21:23.
Old June 26, 2001, 23:39   #3
Exile
King

Exquisite!
Your spaceship/submarine is a wonder! beautiful!

You mentioned changing dll within the civ2 program. Will this permanently change these images?

How do make sure that the image sizes are the same/will fit?

Exile

edit; Ok, I tried following the directions you gave. Here is what happened. Step 1; ok. step 2; ok. step 3; here is where things stopped. "Select the dll you wish to edit" Are you saying that I must know the file name of the dll and enter it into the text box at the bottom of the little window? "This file will be in the civ root directory." What, exactly, is the "root" directory? I tried going into the scenario; the sound file is the only file that came up. I tried going directly into the civ2 program; none of the files that appeared in the box had any dlls in them. I tried going at the civ2 program through the c drive-program files->microprose->civ2. The files that appeared in that box didn't have any dlls in them either. Obviously I'm missing something.

What now?
Exile

Last edited by Exile; June 27, 2001 at 01:56.
Old June 27, 2001, 20:58   #4
shamrock
Warlord

Local Time: 11:07
Re: Exquisite!
Yes, the first step is to backup or rename the original dll file. Definitely do this before you do anything else (unless you like reinstalling civ...)

As for ensuring the same image sizes, here's the deal. The physical size isn't as important as the file size, but it's generally a good idea to make your replacement picture the same physical size as the original (i.e. the same width and height) so that it makes sense within the context of the game. However, file size is the real key. Just make sure that your new file is the same size or smaller than the original (via the graphics program or windows explorer, etc). A good way to achieve this is to reduce the number of colors in your new image.

Re step 3, no you don't need to type in the file name. If you are in the correct directory, all the dll files will be displayed in the "File Open" dialog box because dll files are selected by default. By correct directory, I mean the civ root directory, or more simply the directory in which you installed civ. In my version of Civ (MGE), there are several dlls in this directory:
Civ2Art.dll
cv.dll
Intro.dll
mk.dll
pv.dll
ss.dll
Tiles.dll
timerdll.dll
Wonder.dll
XDaemon.dll

If you don't have these files, then I'm confused too!

Also keep in mind that any changes you make to a dll file will only be reflected if the dll is in the root directory. In other words, even if you place the modified dll file in your scenario folder, the game will still reference the file in the root folder instead (just like menu.txt).

Does this help at all??
Old June 27, 2001, 23:43   #5
Exile
King

Incomprehensible!
Well, I can't find any dlls no matter where I look. Perhaps something went wrong with the downloading process. Until I acquire more knowledge of dlls and how this thing works, it's going on the shelf for the time being. Players will just have to look at the Gandi picture and use their imagination that it's actually Alphonso XIII of Spain.

But thanks anyway, Shamrock.

Exile
Old June 28, 2001, 03:03   #6
kIndal
Spanish Civers
King

Local Time: 12:07
Re: Exquisite!
Quote:
Originally posted by Exile
I tried going at the civ2 program through the c drive-program files->microprose->civ2. The files that appeared in that box didn't have any dlls in them either. Obviously I'm missing something.

What now?
Exile
I believe that I know what is your problem, dll files are invisible so you have to make all your files visible or you cannot see them.

You have to go to "my Pc" in your computer pick in and go to "look" or "see" (I don´t know the traslating in English version), now you go to "fild´s options" (the last one) and open a menu with three menus: "general","look" and "kind of file", pick in "look" and now you can see a opcion that say "show all files" activate it and now you can see dll files.
Old June 28, 2001, 06:46   #7
Exile
King

Hmmmm.
Thanks, Jesus, I'll try it.

Exile

edit; EUREKA!!!! There they are!! THANK YOU, JESUS!!!!

You know, with all the explanations I got from everyone out there, not one person said anything about the dlls being "hidden." Nowhere in the instructions that came with the X-tractor did anyone have the presence of mind to say, "oh, and by-the-way, the dll files are all usually hidden, so the first thing one must do is reveal these files; here's how to do that." Nooooooooooooo. And then, when I can't make the thing work, I look like a complete idiot because I can't seem to figure it out! AAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHH!!!

Apparently everyone just assumed that I knew that. It's certainly off the topic at hand, but that seems to be the main problem with learning anything about using this *&%$#@ (computer). Everyone just assumes that others must know certain, NECESSARY things. Have I ever come on like a computer whiz? I seem to recall admitting freely that wrestling with this thing is like streetfighting with a boa constrictor; just when I think I've got it--I don't!

Oh well, now I'll attempt to play with this stuff and see what happens. I expect disaster.

Rant-for-the-day,
Exile

Last edited by Exile; June 28, 2001 at 08:02.
Old June 28, 2001, 15:17   #8
Mercator
Emperor

Local Time: 13:07
AFAIK the dll´s usually aren´t hidden, not mine anyway...
Apart from that, you may find my DLL hacking guide a nice technical background doc about this. If not, it also includes a list of all the images and where to find them.
(Or was this included in GifX too? I´m not sure)
Old June 28, 2001, 20:04   #9
Exile
King

Thank you, Mercator
But I'm approaching this very gingerly. I've backed up the dlls that are normally there, identified the ones that require changing, and acquired new photos and images to put in their place.

My attempt to download paintshop pro ended, however, in disaster. No go.

So I'm putting the idea on hold for a little while during which time I'll finish fine tuning Age of War so it can be released.

I am anxious to see Spanky's Road to Empire scenario in order to learn just how he does it and how he arranges things.

I will take a look at your guide, too.

Salutations,
Exile
Old June 29, 2001, 05:24   #10
Spanky
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:07
Exile, for some advance hints on that (basically on how I stuck the portraits into frames), see the post in my 'Preview' thread. (I kind of outdid myself length-wise - let's hope it helps... otherwise, you would have to specify your question a bit).

I did base my instructions on Paint Shop Pro, though.

Cheers,
Spanky
Old June 29, 2001, 06:14   #11
Exile
King

yes, Spanky, I saw it. Unfortuneately, without PSP, a lot of your effort there is in vain. What I'll do is wait until your scenario is available, download it, and look very closely at how you arranged things to see if your method is one that I want to duplicate.

But thanks,
Exile