Old June 26, 2001, 14:18   #1
freshman
ACDG3 GaiansAlpha Centauri PBEMMac
Warlord

Local Time: 03:08
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Any early conquer dates out there?
I am 1 week new to this board - just started reading after my late purchase of SMAC and rediscovering my ol' fav CivII. I have to credit reading this board with re-igniting my interest in the game. Having a baby put this game on hold for nearly two years!

I hear a lot about early landings which are EXTREEMLY impresive. What I haven't read a lot about is early conquerings? I'm interested in this because this is the way I usually play. I guess my philosophy in playing the game is to play it as little as possible (do it in as few turns as possible! ie. make EVERY turn count). It seemed to me (at least until the point when I discovered this forum and seeing the truely impressive landing victories) that the fastest way to win the game must surely be via conquering the world. And thus to ensure a quick (few turns) game with some serious action, conquering quickly seemed like a fun way to play the game and challenge myself at the same time. If I heard some testamonials about how quickly you've all achieved this type of victory, I'd be able to judge my own strategy a little better, as I don't play MP.

Originally my strategy has been:
1) get Monarchy ASAP (this is seems to be Universal)
2) get Hanging Gardens (this also seems Universal)
3) get Trade - build Marco Polo - accelerates research by targeting minimal techs & SHARE MAPS! so that exploring is unnecessary and tactical planning can begin
4) expand quickly to 10-15 cities - each ~ size 4-5 with Temples the only improvement - a few mines here and there - build caravans for WoW's until Monotheism.
5) build Sun Tsu's
6) get Monotheism - build vet Crusaders & start attacking (turn off research; clean up small cities in revolt with diplo's after capitol conquered)
7) sometimes need Lighthouse/Caravels to conquer off continent - MP lets you know quickly if you're going to need this - I usually don't get Caravels because by that time I've already made 20 tech discoveries and Navigation takes too long for my tastes (at least with having a comparatively lame sci-effort to all you guys)
8) STAY IN MONARCHY the whole game
9) Sometimes also build Mikes to avoid problems primarily when taking over AI cities but sometimes because I've got all this stored up production (with caravans) - because the only improvements I build are the temples by the time I finally discover Monotheism - I just go ahead an use 'em up.

I can usually conquer by 1300 AD or so on a Medium map, (and I turn off "restart eliminated players"), though I haven't tried this strategy but half a dozen times.

Recently, after not playing Civ for 2 years, I read about the ICS strat. So I'm trying my first ICS game. It fits well with my current playing style and the hint to leave cities at size 2 is something that had occured to me, but I never tried it - and I think the one time when I did, I didn't know that Garrisons don't mix with HGs!! That was a great hint!
Hey - when you have HGs and are about to have all your cities pumping out Crusaders soon anyway - why have a garrison at all!
I haven't completed the game yet, but several things struck me - and I may have deviated from the pure ICS:
1) around 80 turns I had 24 cities - started hitting an expansion lule due to my positon on a moderate sized island - the rest being jungle - or small (2-3) tiny islands off the coast -
2) deviated from pure ICS by building MP - so that I could judge my situation and start thinking about conquering (but also to get some pre-reqs to Democracy - because at this stage I was still commited to the pure ICS strat of SoL->Fund and waiting for Dragoons before conquering)
3) once I built MP I decided that it was time to start pumping out units - instead of further expansion - before Democracy->SoL->Fund and before Dragoons.
4) at 24 cities I had ~46 beakers/turn - 12 turn advances - 3 advances shy of Democracy
and felt that although I could force further expansion to speed up this snail paced tech advance, I felt I would be better served by initiating conquering when all the other civs only had Phalanx's and Archers gaurding their cities (and there were only 2+2+2+5+5+8=24 AI cities which needed conquering)

So sue me - I tried ICS and changed my mind in the middle of it to drop the expansion.
I know from reading that one of the worst things to do is to deviate from your plan.

-Crusaders seem just fine to me if attacking early enough - why wait to Dragoons? Sure - it can be a little bit of a pain having to wait an extra turn or so inside the newly conquered city to heal up - that extra hit point of a Dragoon would be nice.
-SoL seems to take too long to get to. Why wait til FUND to pump out units when you can have 3*#cities units with NO PENALTY; that's more than sufficient to conquer, if done early enough. (You can disband those garrisons at this point - and those useless horsemen -already explored map - too if support becomes an issue - I stopped using Leo a long time ago because the AI never attacks me)
-Hey - if you have enough tech to build conquering units & cities to produce them - why continue the expansion?

OK - So maybe these aren't strict rules - definitely situation sensitive - but I'm sensing that some people out there are draining their resources unnecessarily

My philosophy is to explore the tech tree as little as possible to get what you need to conquer (and Monarchy/Trade/Monotheism seems to satisfy this)
Does anyone else feel the way I do?

I did find a lot of things I liked about ICS.
I like 2 pop - a lot! It's like the perfect little city. I like not wasting time irrigating/mining - at lot! I like crowding cities up - it makes roading them up together infinitely faster! 2 food surplus when size 1 and 5 production when size 2 is fine for pumping out units - why wait til you've got 7-10 production in a size 4-5 city when you can have 2ce as many cities. I already used to play FEW improvements (just Temples); now not needing to build those is awesome. I can see how it would be a total waste of production: for the cost of a temple - you could have built another settler which will grow (ok - just forget the fact that the new city can produce more cities for now) to size 2 and give you 5 production as well as some trade - versus being able to support a higher pop in the same city to squeeze out 3 extra production on average - and it will take longer to build up to the new population too.
I wish I had known about the Garrisons not mixing with HGs a long time ago or I would have discovered ICS on my own (very unhappy people are what caused me to stop my expansion early) - it totally makes sense.
I am definitly going to try this AGAIN and AGAIN until I can judge exactly what point to stop expansion - stop researching - and start conquering. Also I know that one weak area I have is in not exploring the map thoroughly early enough to take advantage of as many goodie huts - in this game I didn't get ANY tech from huts - and only hit about 4 or 5 huts on my whole medium island. It may be possible to establish contact with 6 other civs and thus not have to build MP - but right now MP has to be my FAVORITE WoW. (I hate acronyms - MP is Marco Polo's Embasy, BTW )

I haven't yet completed the game - but it looks promising that I'm going to beat my old 1280 AD record from 2 years ago with my old strategy. I KNOW somebody out there has a completely ridiculous low conquer date - but how low is it. Has nobody tried it - or does it just not challenge people enough - or is it too much of a random element to make scores meaningless?

PS - please forgive me if I violated a post-protocol - this is my first post EVER.
Old June 26, 2001, 16:19   #2
samson
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 11:08
Welcome to the forum.

Deity, 7 civs, raging hoards, no restarts, small map. World conquered 2150BC.

The game took less than a half hour of playing time. Only built one city, Rome, which reached size 3. Never finished researching my first tech; never left despotism. Destroyed 5 civs; barbarians got the other but I destroyed the barb city. I'm not much of a warmonger so I'm guessing others have done it quicker. My strategy was simple: tip huts, kick butts.
Old June 26, 2001, 16:31   #3
EOL
Warlord

As Samson says the really quick victories come from tipping huts like a maniac. If you don't build any cities you tend to get more mercenaries (all NON, and generally more advanced units than you would have been able to build) and you don't get barbs from huts. Pre-AD wins are regular using this kind of strat on a small map. If there are still plenty of huts left it may be better to destroy cities rather than capture them, you don't want the supply of free units to slow down and start running into barbs from every hut.

EOL
Old June 26, 2001, 16:43   #4
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 07:08
I reccomend not building cities at all. You get more mercenaries that way.

Several people have got dates before 3500 because of rampaging barbarians. Sometimes the barbarians knock out 3 or 4 civs really early and I don't know why. This has happened to me a lot. It seems to only happen when the human doesn't have any cities. Is the game equalizing? Anyway, my record for diety is 3200.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old June 26, 2001, 16:48   #5
freshman
Warlord

Wow - I've got to work on my goodie-hut skills.
Does this strat work on a medium map when other civs are typically on other continents - and harder to reach - and by the time you do reach them have built up sufficient defences?

I don't typically get as much enjoyment out of the game if I play on a small map - so I'm a medium map player.

Any medium/huge map early conquer wins with at least one civ on a different continent?

Those who do conquer early - can you do so consistently? Like every game?

I guess I'm looking for a strat. that always works early consistently; not just a few games that turn out quick.
Old June 26, 2001, 16:58   #6
EOL
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by freshman
Wow - I've got to work on my goodie-hut skills.
Does this strat work on a medium map when other civs are typically on other continents - and harder to reach - and by the time you do reach them have built up sufficient defences?
You either need to be lucky enough to find and conquer a coastal city so that you can build a trireme or have a city build a diplomat and hope to bribe one (with hut cash/plunder). A lot tougher.

Medium map with one continent requires much more luck than the small map to finish quickly.
Old June 26, 2001, 17:22   #7
freshman
Warlord

OK - so it sounds like the game just isn't made interesting in conquer mode, as the goodie-hut solution points out.
I knew there was some reason why early conquer dates weren't being discussed. I feel like a dupe. It sounds like some constants needed better tuning (make mercs less likely with tipping) to make the game more interesting. The AI isn't really a challenge tactically anyway.
So the only way to make the interesting I guess is to go for early landings, or play MP.
Darn it - now I don't feel like playing much anymore.
Unless...I make a challenge not to allow goodie huts! (or just restart huts for gold/barbs)

Any takers:
medium map - allow only 1 military units from huts (only as an explorer - not a conquering unit) - otherwise restart the hut until a gold/barbarian. (should we allow techs?) must conquer quickly.
-or are there other tricks that doesn't make this challenge interesting?
Old June 26, 2001, 17:54   #8
samson
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Well, you asked for strategy ideas. You got one, work it into your game. Aggressive hut hunting is part of the play.

As for challenges, have your tried OCC or the other challenges in the archives here? Read them, it'll give you some idea of what other people have tried and of how they've kept SP interesting. Have you tried the Scenarios? See LaFayette's recent threads. Civ2 is very rich game and there's probably a lot of stuff you haven't done yet.
Old June 27, 2001, 03:29   #9
freshman
Warlord

ok so it's not a record,
but it's one for me - I just won at 600 AD using ICS until Monotheism/MarcoPolo/24 cities.
Usually I'd only win no sooner than the 1200's

Yeah for ICS!! or in this case FPSSCS (finite packed small size city strategy)

OK so I don't play this game every day of every year for the past 5 years;

I've played about 3 dozen times TOTAL since I bought the game in 1997.

next time I'll try more goodie hut tipping.

then I'll try SSC with supporting cities on small map until landing.

then I'll try OCC until landing.

finally, if I'm crazy enough I'll try OCC1

maybe then I can give this game a rest and start up with SMAC!

I may try my own challenge: the 1 military unit conquering challenge!
Old June 27, 2001, 08:06   #10
La Fayette
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 12:08
Quote:
So the only way to make the interesting I guess is to go for early landings, or play MP.
Welcome freshman.
There are 2 other ways to have fun (for experienced players not willing to spend dozens of hours in boring endgames).

1) OCC (apparently a very nice sport for those of us who have got some kind of computer hidden behind their sunburnt forehead).
2) Scenarios (without huts, and many of them without wonders or without possibilities to build new wonders). Read my threads ('Delenda sunt', 'Arriba', 'Napoleon,...') and have a try (at ww2 with a minor civ, for example: I bet you won't come back and tell us you got bored ).

(the guy to the left is Paul, advocating OCC, the guy to the rightis La Fayette, advocating scenarios, the one in the middle is freshman, unwilling to get bored)
Old June 27, 2001, 10:09   #11
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 05:08
There are many ways to make world conquest more challenging for yourself - larger maps, AI civ restarts, your own poor starting position, don't attack anybody until A.D., etc. Modify what you do, civ is flexible enough to always have a way to be fun! I recommend La Fayette's scenario threads, as well. We've had much fun trying to beat the clock and the odds. It forces you to hone your playing style.

BTW, why did you stop civing? The marchioness and I have popped out two shorties in the last few years, but I keep on playing! Granted, there's less time to play, and I get more disapproving looks , but it's still worth it...

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old June 27, 2001, 13:49   #12
ancient
Prince

Local Time: 06:08
7 civs deity raging hords; 4000bc
Old June 27, 2001, 14:11   #13
freshman
Warlord

LaFayette - thanks for your advice to help me from keeping bored
actually, as you say, I've plenty to do, learn, and skills to hone.
you can probably already tell, given my excitement at my very first try of ICS, that I'm going to get excited pretty often trying all sorts of things out : OCC & Scenarios.
One thing that sort of drags on that sence of excitement is that fact that you guys all have already kicked butt - it seems hard to accomplish something unique; kind of like picking a PhD thesis.
Well - I want a PhD thesis in Civ.
I'm sure with time I'll be able to find something unique that I've accomplished in civ - but I'm a little discouraged because I know now that it is going to take a LOT of time.

Marquis de Sodaq - those are some good pointer to keep myself busy and having fun - never NEVER underestimate the creativity of the people on this forum! As far as why I hadn't played in a while - I didn't have anyone to talk to or boast to; and I had hit a lull in my creativity in playing the game. Mainly though, our baby took a great deal of care; and I want to spend as much time with my family as possible - so my pattern has been : work, come home, spend time with family, sleep.

ancient - OK so I guess you're not going to get better than that. congratulations. I guess you kind of missed the flavor of this thread though - I was trying to ask for records people are PROUD of - not just luck; or however it was that you won the game (set up the map with all water - 1 space for city - whatever - just to check out the boring score)
Old June 27, 2001, 18:06   #14
ancient
Prince

Local Time: 06:08
:P
Old June 27, 2001, 22:27   #15
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 05:08
Quote:
... my pattern has been : work, come home, spend time with family, sleep.
That has been my life for the last two years! Except for the sleep part - there hasn't been enough of that. All told, I've played civ much less since the wee ones arrived. However, today my daughter refused to nap, so she zonked out about two hours early, right at my son's normal bedtime. The marchioness works evenings. Guess what I did?

When opportunity knocks...

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old July 5, 2001, 17:12   #16
Shaka Naldur
Civilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Emperor

Local Time: 12:08
before 3000BC???

I conquered the world by 1300BC and I thought I was the fastest one but that it is impossible...

I was called a cheater when I said that I had conquered the world that soon..

what was the strategy????
Old July 8, 2001, 10:08   #17
Kropotkin
Emperor

Local Time: 13:08
My record in 600AD on a medium map, emperor (I think) and 7 civs. That was by defeating all other civs myself without the help of any barbarians( ).

A total victory without bombers and tanks isn't a real victory
Old July 8, 2001, 13:13   #18
Smash
Emperor

Shakas' record?

more old stuff

oldman's challenge