Old July 1, 2001, 20:56   #31
gwillybj
Prince

Local Time: 07:08
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Location: Eurytion Mining Camp: 100°C dayside, 100°F nightside.
First favorite:
Matter Transmission
"The first living thing to go through the device was a small white rat. I still have him, in fact. As you can see, the damage was not so great as they say. "
Academician Prokhor Zakharaov, "See How They Run"

Close second favorite:
Organic Superlubricant
"Organic Superlube? Oh, it's great stuff, great stuff. You really have to keep an eye on it, though -- it'll try and slide away from you the first chance it gets. "
T.M. Morgan-Reilly, Morgan Metagenics

The actor's inflection in this one still raises the hair on my neck:
Singularity Mechanics
"Yes, yes, we've all heard the philosophers babble about 'oneness' being 'beautiful' and 'holy.' But let me tell you that this kind of oneness isn't pretty and if you're not careful it will scare the bejeezus out of you. "
Anonymous Lab Technician, MorganLink 3DVision Live Interview

And this one makes me chuckle:
Superstring Theory
"A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one. "
Academician Prokhor Zakharaov, "Now We Are Alone"

-----

Aside to The Commodore, re your sig:
Applied Physics
"Scientific theories are judged by the coherence they lend to our natural experience and the simplicity with which they do so. The grand principle of the heaven balances on the razor's edge of truth. "
Commissioner Pravin Lal, "A History of Science"

Last edited by gwillybj; July 1, 2001 at 21:06.
Old July 1, 2001, 21:05   #32
gwillybj
Prince

Local Time: 07:08
Location: Eurytion Mining Camp: 100°C dayside, 100°F nightside.
(addendum)
I would very much like to read the entire text of Sister Miriam Godwinson's "We Must Dissent", from which there are several quotes:

Advanced Spaceflight
"And so we return again to the holy void. Some say this is simply our destiny, but I would have you remember always that the void exists, just as surely as you or I. Is nothingness any less a miracle than substance?"

Industrial Nanorobotics
"Already we have turned all of our critical industries, all of our material resources, over to these ... things ... these lumps of silver and paste we call nanorobots. And now we propose to teach them intelligence? What, pray tell, will we do when these little homunculi awaken one day and announce that they have no further need of us?"

Quantum Machinery
"Men in their arrogance claim to understand the nature of creation, and devise elaborate theories to describe its behavior. But always they discover in the end that God was quite a bit more clever than they thought."

Bulk Matter Transmitter
"And what of the immortal soul in such transactions? Can this machine transmit and reattach it as well? Or is it lost forever, leaving a soulless body to wander the world in despair?"

Self-Aware Colony
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind."
Recall from this movie the graffiti the man being chased was painting:
WE MUST DISSENT

Last edited by gwillybj; July 1, 2001 at 21:20.
Old July 9, 2001, 05:37   #33
Basil
Warlord

Local Time: 03:08
My favourite is the first two-three sentences spoken at the beginning of the intro movie for Alpha Centauri (the movie that plays when you start the game):

"And the Lord God sent him forth from the Garden of Eden.
"He drove out the man, and he placed at the east of the Garden of Eden cherubim, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the Tree of Life.
"- Conclave Bible, Datalinks"

But compare with:
"Never forget [Earth], but never come back. If you ever come back, you might meet the Archangel at the east end of Earth, guarding her passes with a sword of flame."
The Abbot speaking to colonists about to depart for Alpha Centauri aboard a starship, as a nuclear war threatens Earth and chaos breaks out after the first few bombs are dropped.
- "A Canticle for Leibowitz" Walter M. Miller Jr., 1959

In 2 sentences they've described the situation
Old July 9, 2001, 06:21   #34
Vytae
Warlord

"Einstien would turn over in his grave. Not only does god play dice,the dice are loaded"

Chairman Yang

It was pretty hilarious when i got Miriams "god does not play dice" then exactly the next turn i got Yangs "dice are loaded"
Old July 9, 2001, 11:39   #35
Earwicker
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 06:08
Quote:
Originally posted by Basil
But compare with:
"Never forget [Earth], but never come back. If you ever come back, you might meet the Archangel at the east end of Earth, guarding her passes with a sword of flame."
The Abbot speaking to colonists about to depart for Alpha Centauri aboard a starship, as a nuclear war threatens Earth and chaos breaks out after the first few bombs are dropped.
- "A Canticle for Leibowitz" Walter M. Miller Jr., 1959
It has that?! Awesome! I've always skipped the movie and gone straight to the game. But that's one of my fave books, so I'll have to check out the movie.
Old July 10, 2001, 12:46   #36
Basil
Warlord

Oops: I didn't mean to imply that the quote from A Canticle for Leibowitz was in the book.

I meant that it was interesting that the first words you hear when you play a game of original SMAC (not Alien Crossfire, which has a totally different intro movie) are the biblical passage Abbot Zerchi refers to, in the context of a trip colonizing Alpha Centauri and an impending nuclear holocaust in both cases.
Old July 10, 2001, 13:56   #37
Earwicker
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Basil
Oops: I didn't mean to imply that the quote from A Canticle for Leibowitz was in the book.

I meant that it was interesting that the first words you hear when you play a game of original SMAC (not Alien Crossfire, which has a totally different intro movie) are the biblical passage Abbot Zerchi refers to, in the context of a trip colonizing Alpha Centauri and an impending nuclear holocaust in both cases.
I understand now. And yes, very cool nod to a science fiction classic!
Old July 11, 2001, 09:19   #38
Tizzy
Warlord

Local Time: 11:08
"Not only does God play dice, but the dice are loaded"

and

"Get off my land you peacekeeping son of a ....."
(wish I could remember which SP that comes from!)
Old July 11, 2001, 12:51   #39
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 05:08
Tizzy-- the PK one was from the Longevity Vaccine video- the best of the SP videos, in my opinion

Anyway, mine is:

"Richard Baxton piloted his Recon Rover into a fungal vortex and held off four waves of mind worms, saving an entire colony. We immediately purchased his identity manifests and repackaged him into the Recon Rover Rick character with a multi-tiered media campaign: televids, touchbooks, holos, psi-tours, the works. People need heroes. They don't need to know how he died clawing his eyes out, screaming for mercy. The real story would just hurt sales, and dampen the spirits of our customers."

-- "Mythology for Profit"
Morgan Stellartot's Keynote Speech

Kinda sums up the Morganites' ideology...
Old July 11, 2001, 13:09   #40
Iskandar Reza
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 19:08
Quote:
Originally posted by Tizzy

"Get off my land you peacekeeping son of a ....."
(wish I could remember which SP that comes from!)
I like that part of the video too. And the quote from the video as well.

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd
settle for a couple thousand years. Even five hundred would be
pretty nice.

-- CEO Nwabudike Morgan,
MorganLink 3DVision Interview

I quote him everytime someone offers me a smoke.
"Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon
Old July 11, 2001, 13:55   #41
death_head
Prince

Has anybody ever considered writing any of these books? Obviously, someone made up these quotes, so it shouldn't be that hard to make more. I'm not suggesting a huge epic, but some context would be nice.
Old July 11, 2001, 14:00   #42
Kirnwaffen
Warlord

I just thought of another quote where the actor's inflection is sort of chilling. It's from Self Aware Machines, I think:

"I swear, sometimes they're watching me."
Anonymous Lab Technician
Old July 11, 2001, 15:10   #43
Clear Skies
Prince

Had it twice already obviously quite popular

And the guy is called Bozon Pete, Shift Foreman, from the Metagenics Biomachinery Division, I believe.

I quite like the one from the Ascent to Transcendence SP:

"No longer mere earthbeings and planetbeings are we, but bright children of the stars, and together we shall dance in and out of ten thousand years, celebrating the gift of consciousness until the stars themselves burn out and grow weary and our thoughts turn again to the Beginning."

Also the one from the singularity inductor:

"What actually transpires beneath the event horizon of a black hole? Decent people shouldn't think too much about that..."
- Academician Prokhor Zakharov,
"For I Have Tasted The Fruit"

And the one from when you build a Research Hospital - it's by Morgan, and begins,
"Some civilian workers got in amongst the research patients today, and became so agitated that I was forced to have them nerve stapled..."
Can't remember the rest....
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Old July 11, 2001, 16:06   #44
death_head
Prince

All things considered, nothing beats Machiavelli's Command Center Quote:

*tries to remember quote*

Damn I guess I know what I'll be doing tonight
Old July 12, 2001, 02:11   #45
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Re: (addendum)
[QUOTE] Originally posted by gwillybj
I would very much like to read the entire text of Sister Miriam Godwinson's "We Must Dissent", from which there are several quotes:

From what I know those are there are. You can check the blurb file from the game to be sure. Over in the AC fiction forum there was a challenge issued some time ago for people to take the books from the leaders and expand on them a bit. If your interested enough it might be fun to make up some more and see what comes of it.

All of these are great. I have to admit that after playing the game for some time I have begun to skip over the movies and blurbs. But there are a few that I still take the time to see.
Old August 2, 2001, 21:42   #46
Black Sunrise
Prince

Quote:
that's what happens when you always play late at night
Hey, the kids aren't home! Noones home!
Turn out all the lights, turn up the sound, turn on all the bells and whistles and background music!
yay!

BTW: a) all these quotes are .MP3 files. I stuck them in my audio player, and now I hear not just normal songs on my computer, I hear my favorite quotes, as well. and b) all these quotes are available as blurbs.txt file in the AC folder, suitable for copy/pasting.
Indra
Old August 3, 2001, 13:22   #47
Alynzia
Warlord

Stuff
As to not to get too off-topic, my favourite SMAC quote is the one by Zakharov about the Lab Three Aftermath, mentioned before. Now THAT is voice talent!

A question to Black Sunrise, where are the written texts for the facility voiceovers? I cannot seem to find them.

Also I have some problems, which I hope some educated people will help me with.

1. Are electrons made from quarks? I'm not sure. An electron is a lepton, and my book (from 1986, no less!) tells me that leptons have no internal structure. Has this since been disproved?

2. About Einstein's dice. I believe that was in a conversation to Niels Bohr about how the Universe is totally random. Chairman Yang is a dip-stick. For the dice to be loaded means there is a tendency for something more than pure randomness, probabilities which are sharper in definition. Surely Einstein would approve of this, because it is closer to Newtonian mechanics than the total uncertainty present in quantum mechanics.

I think that's me done. Please answer me lest I shall live in torment!

(P.S. Since this was SMAC Fanatic's thread, I'd like to wish him good luck with the A Level results that come out in two weeks!)
Old August 3, 2001, 15:03   #48
Black Sunrise
Prince

Quote:
A question to Black Sunrise, where are the written texts for the facility voiceovers?
for me:
C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
look for blurbs.txt and blurbsx.txt
or, search your harddrive for those files.

One of my favorites, that you don't see in the game, but that's coded in:

##Mass to Energy
#FAC38
I hold a scrap of paper in the darkness and
light it. I watch it burn bright and curl, disappearing
into nothingness, and the heat burns my fingers.
Where has it gone? What has it become? I cannot shake
the feeling that I have witnessed a form of transcendence.
^
^ -- Commissioner Pravin Lal,
^ "The Convergence"

Indra
Old August 4, 2001, 01:33   #49
Alynzia
Warlord

The pest is back!

Thanks Black Sunrise, I'm really that stupid I didn't scroll down to find the facility quotes, I thought it was just a list of the tech quotes. You know, I actually sat and listened to the appropriate facility quotes when writing my version of Nonlinear Genetics. Sat and typed and listened. The shame...

That Lal quote is good. It stands to reason that they were going to use it for Stockpile Energy because minerals to energy fits that. I wonder why it didn't get in?

The same with quoted techs Inertial Damping (Tech 24) and Global Energy Theory (Tech 70). I've never seen or heard them before, but 'A Tactical History of Sparta' sounds really interesting for Tech 24.

And I find it inconceivable that no pedant can't correct me on my two problems. Are you ignoring me because I'm stupid? You'll argue with each other about minor spelling mistakes, but won't correct me on something interesting

Alynzia.
Old August 4, 2001, 07:12   #50
Black Sunrise
Prince

Regarding 2: Einstein would agree. He was of the opinion that all was -not- chance, and thus Yangs research would have pleased him.
Indra
sorry for the one-liner, I just got home from work.
Old August 4, 2001, 16:31   #51
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 14:08
Inertial Damping sounds cool, but I wonder why it didn't make it to the game?
Old August 5, 2001, 00:55   #52
heretk
Settler

Local Time: 10:08
There a LOT of great quotes in SMAC. I really admire the way Firaxis put together that whole "quote with tech discovery" scheme. Quality work.

My favorite is the one you get with the discovery of Homo Superior, which cites Friedrich Neitzsche. I don't have it memorized, but it starts "Companions the Creator seeks, not followers ..."
"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Safu the thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains - the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion."

- Piter De Vries, twisted Mentat
Old August 5, 2001, 07:11   #53
Black Sunrise
Prince

Quote:
Inertial Damping sounds cool, but I wonder why it didn't make it to the game?
Origionally, they had intended to have not just Physical/Psych weapons, but Energy/Kinetic/Psych.
They scrapped that plan when they realized it would be unwieldy for game-play.
Indra
Old August 5, 2001, 07:29   #54
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Sunrise
Origionally, they had intended to have not just Physical/Psych weapons, but Energy/Kinetic/Psych.
They scrapped that plan when they realized it would be unwieldy for game-play.
Indra
Ummm.... THey have energy/kinetic/psych! According to The Manual, for example the Missile Launcher and Chaos Gun are projectile -> kinetic weapons, whereas lasers and particle impactors are energy weapons. That's why I don't usually upgrade from Plasma Steel to Silksteel, but to Probability, because Plasma protects from Kinetic and Energy, but Silksteel and Photon walls only protect from energy weapons.
Old August 5, 2001, 16:30   #55
Clear Skies
Prince

Um...nope, I think you'll find that's only in the manual...
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Old August 5, 2001, 16:53   #56
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by SMAC Fanatic
Um...nope, I think you'll find that's only in the manual...
Oh...
I always thought that there was a difference between armor types and weapon types... that it wouldn't be just about the numbers.
Old August 5, 2001, 17:23   #57
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

The differentiation between particle and energy armors was not implemented in the released game.
Old August 7, 2001, 12:06   #58
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 08:08
would've made sense though that a photon wall would do f*ck all against a missile launcher.
Old August 11, 2001, 17:53   #59
Abyssmal
Settler

"Beware he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." ChairmanYang. I don't know what tech. or facility it came from.
Old August 11, 2001, 21:30   #60
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 08:08
that's the end of lal's quote when you pick factions, and for the planet(ary) data(links).