Old July 18, 2000, 04:08   #1
Oldman
Prince

Local Time: 23:41
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Girlfriend Trouble?!?!
Help guys i'm in desparate need of some Civ 2 strategy!!!!!!

My girlfriend has fallen out with ehr folks so that means she's stopping at mine for a week or so?!!? it's all very nice, but i really am getting a bit desparate for a bit of civ!!!!!

So, how do all of you guys manage to keep the lady happy and spend some time playing civ??? at this rate i'll be lucky to get more than about 5 hours a week!??!?
Old July 18, 2000, 04:41   #2
Ken Hinds
Prince

Local Time: 18:41
5hrs/wk of which civ or quality relationship building?

Ken
Old July 18, 2000, 05:01   #3
Oldman
Prince

Ha ha, silly mistake of mine hey?!?! 5hrs/wk of civ!!!! i mean it'll take me about 3 weeks to play an occ game?!?!!?

quote:

or quality relationship building?

I'm afraid you've lost me with that one!!! i think maybe my english isn't good enough, i think maybe you're trying to talk about a nice building, but i don't see why you need to blaspheme with the rel*****ship word!??!!? ha ha!!!!
Old July 18, 2000, 06:21   #4
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 09:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
You tell her that if she wants you to perform you manly bedtime duties she must allow you all the civ time you need.
This will cause her to fall down laughing , stiking her head on the coffee table . While she may be in a coma you can play all the civ you want.

------------------
peace and safety, I'll make sure
just until someone offers me more

I'm Australia's nuclear cop
Old July 18, 2000, 06:57   #5
Hasdrubal
Prince

Local Time: 00:41
I got my girlfriend hooked on Civ.
It was brilliant at first, but nowadays I spent most of my time grudging alone in the living room while my girlfriend occupies my computer.

------------------
Hasdrubal's Home.
Ceterum censeo Romam esse delendam.
Old July 18, 2000, 07:32   #6
Oldman
Prince

I'm not sure it'll work telling her about my manly duties, see my PC is technically on my coffetable, which also doubles as my bedside table!! student life hey?!!?!? and the duties have been working fine for the past month without civ, she might say even better now i'm getting a good nights sleep, and not playing civ until 3am each night!!!!!

But i certainly wouldn't let her near my pc let alone civ, i think that we should all sit back and reflect about poor Hasdrubal, and let us all learn from his mistake!!!!
Old July 18, 2000, 09:39   #7
SandMonkey
Prince

Local Time: 17:41
I tried the same thing as Hasdrubal, but I had a better outcoming. My girlfriend played it for a while (on her computer!), but now she has moved on to Roller Coaster Tycoon (strangely, I got her on to that, too....), so no more problems for me!

------------------
SandMonkey

"Shut up brain or I'll stab you with a qtip"
-Homer Simpson

"Ecky ecky ecky!"
"It's just a flesh wound!"
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Check out my 1602 A.D. site
Old July 18, 2000, 10:09   #8
SuperSneak
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:41
I'm in the same boat. My girlfriend rolls her eyes and makes snorting noises whenever I even look at the computer. I have established that Sunday is my day to play. All day. No questions. As Berserker says "Follow the Golden Rule; I have the gold, I make the rules."
Our relationship is pretty rocky, and it is odd how Civ, in a way, has revealed some of her more selfish and self-absorbed traits. My IDEAL woman is one who supports my hobbies and interests, even when they don't include her!
Reach a compromise. If not, you can join me in impending bachelorhood....

------------------
Bring it!

"Receive wealth or prosperity without arrogance; and be ready to let it go cheerfully." Marcus Aurelius (Meditations)
Old July 18, 2000, 11:08   #9
Oldman
Prince

I know exactly what you mean, although she doesn't complain, or shout or do anything audible!!! it's all subconscious, it's all of the words she doesn't say but just leaves floating around, sort of, not being said!! i think it adds weight to them. If the word is truely mightier than the sword, i think the unspoken words must be mightier than a Howitzer!?!?

But, no civ tonight again!!!! maybe i'll try the "it'll improve my manhood" line tonight, wish me luck...

Old July 18, 2000, 11:18   #10
Sten Sture
Emperor

My wife's sister gave me Civ as a gift, but I have more than used up the "I don't want to offend your family by not using their gift" line.

She asked me the other day if I thought I would ever get tired of Civ... I said not at this rate!

I figure on about 3 hours a week of Civ.
Old July 18, 2000, 13:37   #11
inca911
Warlord

Did you know that pregnant women are very, very tired in the first half of pregnancy and still require a lot of rest from then until delivery? They often nap and go to bed early leaving you with a virtually empty house. Also, did you know that you can play Civ while a child is napping (typically 2 hours a day) and you are technically being a good father and husband? I'm not suggesting such a radical course of action for a student such as yourself. I'm just stating the known facts and you can draw whatever conclusions you like from this info....
Old July 18, 2000, 14:27   #12
Steve Clark
King

Simple. I play from 7-9pm each night Sun-Thurs and 7-10pm on Fri/Sat nights. She is always watching TV (what a crock of s***) during those times. All the rest of the time is for being a husband, a father and a provider. And yes, a Civ game or a Pharaoh scenario or wargame battle do take 2-3 weeks to play and that's ok by me.
Old July 18, 2000, 15:34   #13
Sten Sture
Emperor

Inca - Obviously spoken from experience; and when they go visit grandma for a week you can cram in a lot of games!!
Old July 18, 2000, 18:16   #14
shmily_dana
Warlord

CIV II is about the best game for this. You can stop whenever and the your screen saver kicks in. You don't lose time launching and shutting down the game every session. When the game is running all the time, you can just make one or two turns as you wander by. I wish more games had built in screen savers like "Birth of the Federation".
Old July 18, 2000, 21:11   #15
joew
Settler

Inca's plan sounds like a good idea until your wife goes off and has triplets! I am lucky to sneak down to the computer for an hour or so once a week. My games last for months.
Old July 19, 2000, 02:16   #16
Sloth
Warlord

Today I woke up 1/4 to six... played Pharoh for about 1 h. You have to cope with that...when the girlfriend problem become a wife problem!
Old July 19, 2000, 05:30   #17
Oldman
Prince

I think i've hit a chord here with you guys haven't i?!?! Well no luck last night and she didn't even come round?!?! i spent the whole time either on the phone to her or waiting for her to call?!?! she played the "i need protecting, even though i'm miles away" card, what can you do???

And now i think she might be moving in permanently or at least enough to complete knock civ on the head for the next 2/3 months!!!!! I can't wait until i'm back at uni next year and have sweet FA to do all day!!! well, maybe some studying, but 15000 words isn't hard to write is it, what, about 3 hours do you reckon?!?!?!?
Old July 19, 2000, 13:41   #18
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

You have my sympathy -- This is probably not a viable solution, but I am playing 'The Longest Journey' with the girlfriend, 'Might & Magic VIII' with my daughter and 'Planescape Torment' & 'Civ' when I get a moment to myself - most often in the 18 - 20 and 23 - 01 (the latter when GF is not in residence) slots.
Of course my daughter's current addiction to 'TeenChat' lines is cutting into the the first of these slots as well
Life would be so much simpler in a uni-sex society or one in which we could all afford individual computing/internet access
Good luck and maybe some good civin'

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
Old July 20, 2000, 03:57   #19
Oldman
Prince

Well, last night was a complete non-starter!!!! but that was mainly because of the problems on the underground in london yesterday!?!? it took me 3 hours to get to work yesterday, and i didn't even bother trying to get home until 7:30, so i'm now blaming the Irish Dissidents for my lack of civ playing!?!?

The problem is the GF, just ain't into computers, i've tried explaining civ, but she just don't get it?!? i mean it's not rocket science!!!!!!
Old July 20, 2000, 06:31   #20
Andromeda
Chieftain

Isn't it great when they turn on the TV to watch a favourite program, just when you're getting restive about trying out that perfect invasion strategy you devised at the office during that boring department meeting ?

Then, you can slowly amble over to the computer, with a barely audible sigh of resignation, which expresses the unspoken message, "Of course I wouldn't dream of turning on the computer with you here, but, seeing that you're watching TV, well, there's not much else left fot me to do" !
Old July 20, 2000, 18:46   #21
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Oldman - do you think this thread should be part of a new "Apolyton Soap" section?

People all over the world are breaking off from OCC triumphs and bloodlust conquests to tune into "Will the girlfriend say yes - to a game of CIV - that is!"

Well, my advice is try the happiness wonders. JSB in particular. Give her your credit card and a tube rover - which gives her a purchase in every shop. In this instance JSB is Just S*it Broke!

Please, please, tell us what happens next.

(Does your lady know she is an internet soap idol?)

----------
SG (2)
Old July 21, 2000, 05:36   #22
Oldman
Prince

Give her my credit card? are you mad????? I think she could single-handedly run a debt close to that of the 3rd world!?!!!

No civ yet again last night!!! i knocked off work early and bought myself a Tuner for my Hi Fi, it's a nice Denon TU260L mkII, very nice!!!!!! anyway, so the girlie comes round and is giving me all this **** because she wants to go out, but donesn't want a drink, or anything else i suggest!!?!? but apparently i was supposed to have suggested going to a fair?? like, ah-uh?!?! so we go to the fair!!!!

Do you know it costs about £2 a pop for the dodgems?!!? 2 ****ing quid?!?!?!?! Oh, and i won an inflatable Pikatchu!!!!!! hurray!!!!

Then we went for a drink, and have you ever thought how crap it is that bars don't let you pay for drinks with credit cards?!?! i mean what does it matter to them!?!?!

But, to cut a long and pointlessly boring narative slightly less short than the first draft of The Lord of the Rings!!! I didn't play civ last night!?!?!?

But, tonight it's friday night, the girlie is working!!!!!!!! so, Civ! Here i come!!!!!!
Old July 26, 2000, 08:16   #23
kcbob
King

I think we'd all agree with the definition of a bachelor... A man who's never made the same mistake once.

I try to encourage my wife to go out with her friend (female) whenever she wants to. I also have the advantage that my wife teaches piano 4 days a week from 3 PM to 10 PM. Pretty easy to sneak upstairs and get on the PC, huh?

------------------
Frodo lives!

Better dead than "Red"... or green... or blue... or yellow... or orange... or purple... or white.

[This message has been edited by kcbob (edited July 26, 2000).]
Old July 26, 2000, 17:54   #24
inca911
Warlord

Ever tried a Play By Email Game (PBEM)? I'm playing one right now and it's slow, but it doesn't take much time at all and you can still think about the game even when you aren't playing the game....
Old July 27, 2000, 09:09   #25
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Inca - how does PBEM work? What version of Civ?? Other similar questions that I can't quite think of right now??

Oldman - Chin up and play the game...

------------------

Old July 27, 2000, 10:11   #26
inca911
Warlord

Well, I'm not exactly a PBEM expert, but the gist of it is as follows:

You start a Multiplayer game using MGE with or without the Microprose patch (both players must either have the patch or not have the patch, you can't have a mix!). You pick your number of human and AI opponents, difficulty level, etc when you start the game. You set the option "Wait At End of Turn" to ON. To take your turn after the initial game setup, you select "Load a Saved Multiplayer Game", you join the game as your Civ, and play your turn. When your turn is over, you do not press "Return", you save the game instead and email it to your opponent (it's a small file). He will then load the game and take his turn, emailing it back to you. It is very beneficial if you can get several turns completed early in the game, as very little is happening. One problem we encountered was the computer giving GO orders to our units which were previously fortified. It appears that you give up control to the computer at the end of your turn when you save and send the game. The computer knows when to take it's turn based on the date, but it appears he has control of your civ for that brief period of time in between the turns. We have "fixed" this problem by ensuring no units have movement remaining at the end of the turn. So we activate our fortified units and then refortify them immediately to use up all their movement for that turn. It seems to be working. Also, when you find a civ, you want to set your attitude towards them to Enraged, if you do not, we theorize the AI may trade tech with them or even give them gifts since it has the control to conduct diplomacy when your opp is playing the game. If you want to give it a try, LMK.
Old July 28, 2000, 04:43   #27
Oldman
Prince

Inca911, it doesn't half sound complicated!!!! and what's with the ai fiddling with your civ?!?! does that still happen with the microprose patch?

I might have to give it a go in a couple of months when i go back to uni, it'll help me keep my civ2 hours down, and hopefully my study hours up, ha ha!!!! as if...

Scouse, Managed to get quite a few hours in over the last 2 days, but that's because i scived off of work with a stomach bug!! ha ha, suckers!!!!! so it's currently 1020ad on my occ scenario (14), but it's going to be mid week before i get to finish it?!?!

The other half has started working now, so hopefully i'll get a few more hours to civ!!!
Old July 28, 2000, 07:16   #28
inca911
Warlord

Well, we both have the patch, so that doesn't fix the problem. Also, there is no other way to do diplomacy except via the AI since both players are not online at the same time. It's not a big deal yet, since we don't have a lot of units to manage, but it could become a real pain in the late game. It's just nice to be able to play against another human to raise the level of competition.
Old July 31, 2000, 05:36   #29
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Thanks a lot, Inca, Oldman - I certainly would like to give it a go - maybe in a week or so -- holidays coming up...

------------------

Old August 14, 2000, 11:04   #30
Oldman
Prince

Just thought i'd update you guys!!! see the girlie trouble is still there, only i think she might now be moving in!?!? argh!!!!! well it won't be all bad, but i know i'm never going to get much time for civ now?!?!

I forgot all about the mp theme to this thread, we'll have to try a game sometime scouse, only it's going to be at least a couple of months before i'm able to, and then i've got my final year on it's way, but sometime in the future...

Maybe we could do a pbem in a couple of months...