Old June 28, 2001, 16:44   #31
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 21:09
Local Date: October 31, 2010
late night office shananigins " Hey Im bored Syd, lets goto Apolyton and see what crap they ar eposting now"

"Yeh good one Mike, and while there , post sometihng about map size to keep them interested"

"Sure thing Syd, that wil lkeep them thinking we are actually creating a new game here, not jsut chasing the young female programmer saround the office in our underwear."

"Yeah we cant ever let them know that Mike, nor of your crossdressing ...:"

"right Syd, who would buy a game programmed by guys like that"

"Well Mike, probalby all those weirdos over at Apolyton "

GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old June 28, 2001, 17:45   #32
SerapisIV
King

Local Time: 06:09
Quote:
Originally posted by Rasputin
late night office shananigins " Hey Im bored Syd, lets goto Apolyton and see what crap they ar eposting now"

"Yeh good one Mike, and while there , post sometihng about map size to keep them interested"

"Sure thing Syd, that wil lkeep them thinking we are actually creating a new game here, not jsut chasing the young female programmer saround the office in our underwear."

"Yeah we cant ever let them know that Mike, nor of your crossdressing ...:"

"right Syd, who would buy a game programmed by guys like that"

"Well Mike, probalby all those weirdos over at Apolyton "

5 bucks say that half the Firaxis crew has their own false login names and post really screwy ideas and thoughts completely opposite to Civ3 just to mess with our heads. Even better, I bet they use CTP avatars!!
Old June 28, 2001, 17:54   #33
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 21:09
actually even more paranoid idea..

What if the firaixis DLs are actually posting only the things that are actualy in civ 3 , that way they can later claim they did put in lots of things people asked for ...

Hmmmmm
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old June 28, 2001, 23:17   #34
eNo
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by SerapisIV
Here's another quick question Mike, can you guys include a Map of Planet from SMAC? I know it's a map I've come to know and love (and sometimes hate )
Hmm..that might be hard to make official since SMAC is published by EA and CivIII is being published by Infogrames. Anybody better versed in copyright law? I don't think this rules out fan-created imitations.
Old June 28, 2001, 23:58   #35
joseph1944

Re: Re: Considered size
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Breitkreutz FIRAXIS

Currently, the largest map size allowed is at least 6x the size of the largest Civ2 maps. Although it is possible, it is unlikely that we will change the map size at this time. If we do change the size, it will probably be made larger. The standard world size is a little larger than the Civ2 standard map size as well.
I like the last sentence a lot. Thank you. And I also like the fact that if the World map is still not big enough, we can go into the files and make it bigger.
I know some of you like to have contact with other civs right away, but I do not. I like to go it along for a little while, then have contact.

Old June 29, 2001, 07:14   #36
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 13:09
Quote:
Currently, the largest map size allowed is at least 6x the size of the largest Civ2 maps.
And would that be in the order of 6x 10,000 (the "official" maximum) or 6x 32,767 (the actual MGE and ToT maximum). There´s quite a difference between 60,000 and 200,000! Both are of course huge and quite acceptable to me... Or maybe not, it already takes ages to complete an accurate 10,000 square map, imagine how much work a 200,000 square map would take ). The map editor you add should better be good
Old June 29, 2001, 07:51   #37
AroSch
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Neu Demogyptica
Warlord

Local Time: 12:09
Quote:
Originally posted by Mercator
And would that be in the order of 6x 10,000 (the "official" maximum) or 6x 32,767 (the actual MGE and ToT maximum). There´s quite a difference between 60,000 and 200,000! Both are of course huge and quite acceptable to me... Or maybe not, it already takes ages to complete an accurate 10,000 square map, imagine how much work a 200,000 square map would take ). The map editor you add should better be good
Good question. Hmmh, I think it means 60.000. However, it sounds great.

An other Question: What means: The standard world size is a little larger than the Civ2 standard map size as well.? What is "a little larger", and what is Standard? In Original Civ2 there was 3 worldmaps included: "small", "medium", "large"...
Old June 29, 2001, 08:46   #38
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:
Originally posted by SerapisIV
That or too tired to code, but not too tired to read our posts and laugh at 18 directions we want the game to go in
ONLY 18! I'm disappointed! I want 32 at least. Optional. Modified by rules.txt
"We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
- Admiral Naismith
Old June 29, 2001, 09:25   #39
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Cool, it will be interesting to have nice large maps so that 16 civs can coexist with relative ease...

But at the size they are quoting for a map, that is larger than any SMAC map I have played with, so this is good news. Still no definite news on the 16 civs, although more than subtle clues have been seen in the past...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old June 29, 2001, 09:32   #40
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:
Originally posted by AroSch
What is "a little larger", and what is Standard? In Original Civ2 there was 3 worldmaps included: "small", "medium", "large"...
Wasn't "medium" the default (alas "standard")?
"We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
- Admiral Naismith
Old June 29, 2001, 10:49   #41
SerapisIV
King

Quote:
Originally posted by eNo
Hmm..that might be hard to make official since SMAC is published by EA and CivIII is being published by Infogrames. Anybody better versed in copyright law? I don't think this rules out fan-created imitations.
Yes, but isn't SMAC a trademark of Firaxis? I don't know copyright law, but I think the developer of a game has to have some rights to their product
Old June 29, 2001, 10:53   #42
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 07:09
Not necessarily; when you sell a product, you usually sell all rights to that product.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old June 29, 2001, 11:01   #43
SerapisIV
King

Quote:
Originally posted by KrazyHorse
Not necessarily; when you sell a product, you usually sell all rights to that product.
But when did Firaxis sell the product? EA was only distributor, while Firaxis was producer. At least I think thats what it was
Old June 29, 2001, 11:04   #44
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 07:09
If EA was just the distributor, then I doubt that Firaxis has given up any rights to their product at all, except in the way of advertising agreements, etc.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old June 29, 2001, 13:11   #45
Quantum
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by joseph1944

And I also like the fact that if the World map is still not big enough, we can go into the files and make it bigger.

That's not the way I read it. Note the clarification from Mike:

QUOTE:
"I should clarify my post somewhat. The maximum allowable size is the largest map size the new terrain engine can handle. None of the selectable world sizes use the maximum map size. Therefore, the standard game will not be on a map that is that large. However, you can create custom world sizes (or even change the dimensions of the selectable world sizes) to create a map that is at least 6x the size of the largest Civ2 map size. Also, mod/scenario makers will be able to create maps that use largest size."

This makes it sound like the maxium size is a hard limit set by the capabilities of the terrain engine. It doesn't sound like you can "go into the files and make it bigger". Although it may be possible to make a bigger map without using the terrain engine. From what Mike posted it is implied that even that is not possible, since he says mod/scenario makers will be able to create maps that use largest size.
Old July 2, 2001, 00:49   #46
Comrade Tribune
Prince

I had actually hoped for smaller, tighter standard (medium) maps.

Disadvantages of large maps:

-Excessive micro-management
-No action in the ancient era (because of vast no man´s land)
-Downplay of the tactical aspect in warfare (mass armies grind down opponent WWI style; steamroller tactics will replace any subtlety)
Old July 2, 2001, 06:33   #47
Wazell
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:09
And if the largest possible map size is "at least 6x Civ2 maximum" then it must be 65536 squares. That makes it possible to create 256x256 maps! Which is good.