Old August 14, 2000, 19:46   #1
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 18:41
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Jack's OCC Question
I got an email from a person who currently can't post. He asked me to post it for him.
So here is Jack's question:

A couple of days ago I started my first OCC game. I think I got a good start, but I soon ran into some problems. I could never seem to stay on good terms with the AI civs. They were almost always hostile toward me, even if I offered them tech almost every turn. I am pretty much a total war guy (unlike most good players my favorite gov'ts are communism and fundamentalism; i very rarely use democracy), so this type of play is a
little unfamiliar to me. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for all your help.
Old August 14, 2000, 20:06   #2
Hueij
Emperor

Local Time: 01:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
It sounds like he is playing MGE. If so, there is nothing he can do about it... Only thing to do is start up good old 2.42
Old August 14, 2000, 20:22   #3
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 15:41
Accumulate several techs then give them to AI civs all at once.
Old August 14, 2000, 20:48   #4
Smash
Emperor

...and then next turn they hate you again.

If you are using MGE then forget about getting gifts thru alliances.You will have to build a real army(kinda).You will need some quality units and more of them than 2.42 would need.

When the ai starts to get somewhat modern thats when you need a couple alpines and 1 or 2 cavalry or artillery.Later ,you may need a tank or 2.Possibly aircraft also(fighters,stealth)if the ai gets Advanced Flight.

I like to have fortresses in my radius for MGE.Of course they must be occupied with quality units.A fort protecting your gold mine is great.You can keep unwanted visitors out also.Stops the ai from plunking a unit on your wine and losing those trade arrows which can cost you an extra turn for that tech or throw yoy into disorder if you are cutting it close on luxuries.

Do not gift gold unless you have no other way to save a threatened unit or city.If you don't want them to demand half your gold all the time then you must spend it before contacting them.I've found around 100 gold or so seems to be the cutoff when they demand techs instead of gold.You want to give techs anyway.

A cheat ,but if you are starting OCC games then surround the city with airbases.Park 2 AEGIS in the harbor(if needed).No bombers or missiles can get thru.

I have also set up forts away from my city as chokepoints for MGE OCC.They can't sack your city if they can't get to it.Good way to spot incoming diplomats/spys also.

With 2.42 you can hang your city with a phalanx or archer for eons thru diplomatic activity.Not so in MGE.You will actually have to be able to defend yourself thru force.
Never fear it can be done.Landings will be later(generally) than 2.42 but certainly 1800s can be done and perhaps better.
Old August 15, 2000, 08:35   #5
kcbob
King

Local Time: 17:41
Yep, MGE strikes again.

But not to worry, Jack. You can still beat it. Just be patient, avoid the AI for everything except your three trade routes, and build fortresses in strategic locations, i.e., on mountaintops, outside your city limits, close to the city, connected to the city with railroads, and don't forget to put more than one defender in each of them.

------------------
Frodo lives!

Better dead than "Red"... or green... or blue... or yellow... or orange... or purple... or white.

[This message has been edited by kcbob (edited August 15, 2000).]
Old August 16, 2000, 00:16   #6
Sten Sture
Emperor

Jack - I have had success playing OCC in version MGE by following an early alliance strategy. Essentially, you have to give away whatever is necessary to gain an alliance right away. Then before contacting that ally again, make sure you have a variety of things to give them - 50 gold, an old tech, and my favorite -> trade maps, then ask for a gift. I strongly disagree with Smash on this point - it works for me regularly.

As the game progresses you can usually manage to get some remote civ to declare war on you and all of your allies will come to your aid. The threat from the first civ doesn't matter, but the other civs being at war defending you will absorb enough of their resources that you should be able to leap into a dominant tech lead and never look back.

I play all of my OCC games in MGE and now I actually think it is easier for me than in 2.42. There are a number of old threads in this forum that address this very topic in more depth. Check them out!
[This message has been edited by Sten Sture (edited August 15, 2000).]