Old June 28, 2001, 02:12   #1
marcuspeddle
Iron CiversCivilization IV PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 20:10
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What to do . . .?
Several people, including myself, have mentioned that because of Civ overdose from Civ2, CTP2 and so on, Civ3 might not be enjoyable to play for more than a week or so. Unless I can find someone to multiplay with.
Does anyone have any suggestions for a game I could try until Civ3 gets released? That way I might feel like getting back into civving about the time the game comes out. I've looked around some review sites but that takes a long time and it's a bit of a blind search. Do any of you here at Apolyton have any suggestions? I don't like first person shoot-em ups but anything else might be good. Actually, I've just ordered Pharoah by Sierra. I played Caesar III a while ago so I want to try Pharoah because I read that the game engine is much improved (market ladies don't go wadering off and so on).
Please tell me your ideas.
Old June 28, 2001, 02:41   #2
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 07:10
I'd suggest the VERY playable demo of Tropico. I was pretty burned out on games in general until I played the demo (still am playing the demo until the game arrives).

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old June 28, 2001, 03:23   #3
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 13:10
europa universalis. it is really not hard to master at all, contrary to some postings here at the forum.
Old June 28, 2001, 06:43   #4
BigRich
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Warlord

Local Time: 11:10
Hi,

I definitely recommend Pharaoh! Just set aside a couple of spare evenings here and there . The game engine has been tweaked a bit since C3, you get roadblocks to help direct your walkers and the trading options have been improved I think to require less micromanagement. If you havn't already found them some good websites are:

http://pharaoh.heavengames.com/cgi-b...f=3,2680,21,20

http://www.pharaoh1.com/info_walkthrough.shtml

http://pharaoh.heavengames.com/walkt...e/index.shtml.

The first site deals with housing blocks. If you were good at C3 this will probably not teach you much but it was a revelation for me and let me get a lot more fun out of the game.

The walkthroughs are quite nice - general level hints rather than step by step guides.

Hope this helps - enjoy building yourself some Pyramids in a much more hands on way than in Civ II

cheers,

Rich
Old June 28, 2001, 06:55   #5
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 13:10
you could try Space Empires IV, great game, it's turn-based, kinda like civ in space, instead of cities, you got colonies,
and you can design your own units like in SMAC, the interface is easy to learn.
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Old June 29, 2001, 00:30   #6
marcuspeddle
Emperor

Thanks
Thanks for your suggestions. Yin, I downloaded the Tropico demo but I haven't had a chance to do anything except the tutorial. Looks great, though. EU and SE4 seem interesting but too much like Civ games. I'd like to try something else for a while. I was familiar with the Pharoah Heaven forums because I used to go to that site for Caesar III. The walkthroughs are a great help for beginners and even people who are familiar with the games.
Again, thanks for all your suggestions. Anyone else have any ideas?
Old June 29, 2001, 00:32   #7
marcuspeddle
Emperor

Warlord
Hey, I'm finally a warlord!
Old June 29, 2001, 06:04   #8
red_jon
NationStates
King

I bought the Tropico game, which is good at first, but can become very dull after a while.

Has anyone played Transport Giant? I was thinking about getting it, but I'm not sure.
Old June 29, 2001, 06:59   #9
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 12:10
I don't recommend Tropico or Transport Giant. Provided you don't rate games on their graphics Disciples: Sacred Lands is newly released in the UK (finally!) although out in the US some time ago. It provides a similar kind of challenge as HoMM. I'd also recommend EU as worth a look because it really really isn't much like Civ as a game, honest!
Old June 30, 2001, 20:09   #10
TechWins
King

Local Time: 04:10
I know I'm not the one who asked the game question but if I don't really like RTS would I still enjoy EU? I've been debating for a long time if I should buy it. The only thing holding me back is my terrible experience with AoE, I hated it and the fact that it's a rts.
Old June 30, 2001, 23:53   #11
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 07:10
While I didn't like EU, it wasn't because of its "RTS" angle. In fact, the game is only RTS insofar as during slow times you can speed up game time, otherwise you can pause the game entirely and issue orders, etc. For more of what I thought about EU, see the Other Games forum.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old July 1, 2001, 12:48   #12
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Heroes Chronicles: Conquest of the Underworld
Heroes Chronicles: Warlords of the Wasteland
Heroes of Might and Magic III

... Three Excellent Games