Old June 29, 2001, 17:13   #1
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 07:12
Local Date: October 31, 2010
At first, this was great, but now it is just sad.
The never ending stream of suggestions that are found posted here DAILY was a very entertaining and valuable- valuable in oh so many ways- source of information for Firaxis while they started production of their upcoming CivIII game. But now when I come here, seeing what is the latest news and coolest 'ideas' for Civ, I can't help but think: what is this? The game is probably less than half a year from being released, and yet, like some last stand at Masada, so many of us still post ideas/suggestions here, perhaps in some desperate wish that their 'original' CivIII feature will be imortalized by being included with the game's release. I hate to tell you people, but this is just SAD.

Am I in a bad mood today? YES!

But maybe that is what it takes to make me realize that this forum, which has more posts in it than all the other Apolyton forums save the ever wimsical Off-Topic forum, has far outlived it's usefulness. Now, I know just how much fun it is to think of 'what-ifs?' for games like Civ, AC, etc., but still, hasn't this whole thing just become rediculous? The answer is yes.

To pretty much validate my point- when was the last time a Firaxis representative (Mark G doesn't count) really took to heart anything that has been said here?
Old June 29, 2001, 17:17   #2
KrazyHorse
Deity

There's always Civ4...
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old June 29, 2001, 17:19   #3
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

The simplicity of your response tends to negate my point.... in some way, I suppose.

I'll have to think about that.
Old June 29, 2001, 17:26   #4
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 13:12
And there might be addons.

It's never to late to suggest something.
Old June 29, 2001, 17:35   #5
JamesJKirk
Civilization II PBEM
King

Local Time: 03:12
I read an interview with Brian REynolds a while back on IGN (but don't quote me on that) that said when they were doing Colonization they were making major changes up to the last minute before it shipped, he gives the example of making the city radius smaller, at Sid's request. But he said that this was a major lesson learned for him because he realized no part of the game was firmly set in stone or finished until the project shipped. I'm sure that would apply for Civ3 as well, even though BR's no longer w/ Firaxis
Old June 29, 2001, 18:12   #6
Sarxis
Emperor

Ok, so what you are saying is that if Sid Meier was to post a suggestion here, in this forum, and Brian Reynolds read it, and still worked at Firaxis, then a change would be made to CivIII?

Maybe my point is a little thin; but then again, so is yours!
Old June 29, 2001, 18:55   #7
ancient
Prince

Local Time: 06:12
i'm sure atleast half the people here understand their ideas wont add up to **** but people like stating what they think... and this is a popular topic where people can say how theyd do it..
Old June 29, 2001, 19:44   #8
Sabre2th
King

I'll agree that the ideas here are excessive, but what can you really do about it?

Wait! I know! Ignore them!

Old June 29, 2001, 19:52   #9
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Ummm, just a few days ago Firaxis responded to a concern about map size. Or do you actually skip the contents?

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old June 30, 2001, 08:40   #10
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 19:12
Why can't you think of this as a chew-the-fat brainstorming forum for Civ x? Also developers of other civ games also lurk around in this forum, and they might use some of these suggestions. Youngsun and I was tossing around ideas about a unit workshop, which itself didn't get into Civ 3, but Ron and Mark seemed interested.
Old June 30, 2001, 11:58   #11
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 11:12
These are great ideas to implement in Civ IV.

Also, these ideas are good ones for people to include in Civ Mods.

I don't see what your #*@#*#* problem is, but this is the most active and changing part of Apolyton Civ Site (despite the fact that ideas are always reworked)

I have posted nearly every day here since August 2000 and this part of the forum is the most filled with good ideas.

People look for PRAISE and RECOGNITON and through this forum they HAVE it.

if you don't like it, IGNORE it.
Old June 30, 2001, 12:50   #12
Ralf
King

Local Time: 12:12
Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud
I have posted nearly every day here since August 2000 and this part of the forum is the most filled with good ideas.
One thing I like with Apolyton is the relative high degree getting several replies on each post.

By comparison, you can visit forums that - on one end of the scale - really is in a half coma-state (several days, sometimes even weeks, before anyone posts anything at all). On the other end of the scale, you can find (often driving-games) forums, there half of all the new thread-posts never gets replies (or maybe only one), and the other half only gets 2-3, max 5-6 replies. It simply goes too fast.

Neither of above is fun. The only thing I dont like with Apolyton, is that it seems more slow and unreliable now, since the bulletin-update.
Old June 30, 2001, 13:31   #13
Sarxis
Emperor

OK, one at a time:

ancient- good, I agree with you. If that is what people like to do (spurting out ideas that won't amount to much) then this is definately the place to do it. And, consequently, I have done so here myself.

yin26- I guess that the excessive amounts of posting here makes it almost impossible for anyone not to be overwhelmed with the task of sorting through the jibberish just to find the really important stuff. Hmm, and I wonder what that could be?

Urban Ranger- Unit workshop is not an original idea to Sid Meier (see Alpha Centauri). You may have missed my point about the fact that almost every bit of bandwidth that is wasted here is done so in stating ideas that Firaxis has already considered, implemented, or thrown out.

DarkCloud- if you don't like my post, then just IGNORE it. (and mind the language, the kiddies might be reading)

Ralf- thanx for the input, but your post is mostly irrelevant to this conversation. You are basically admonishing the whole of Apolyton for it's activeness, and complaining about the unreliability of the new software upgrade. ??

Sabre2th- Yes, that is one possible answer to your question. Another is the thread you are now posting on! (cool name btw)
Old June 30, 2001, 13:54   #14
Ralf
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Anunikoba
Ralf- thanx for the input, but your post is mostly irrelevant to this conversation.
Your topic is about the "The never ending stream of suggestions that are found posted here DAILY....". And, the fact that you think its SAD, at this late stage of the Civ-3 development. (although you still choose to hang around, though).

Is it then totally out of the blue, to post a reply about "The never ending stream of suggestions that are found posted here DAILY...."? Is it really that irrelevant?

Quote:
You are basically admonishing the whole of Apolyton for it's activeness, and complaining about the unreliability of the new software upgrade. ??
"admonishing"?? What do you mean? Are you sure that you didnt misunderstood my reply?

Quote:
DarkCloud- if you don't like my post, then just IGNORE it.
Well, you dont ignore the replies that you think is "irrelevant" or "wrong" do you?

Last edited by Ralf; June 30, 2001 at 14:13.
Old June 30, 2001, 14:11   #15
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 08:12
First of all, I don't think that people are posting their ideas about Civ3 hoping that those ideas could still be implemented in the game. We all know that the game is nearing completion, so it would be silly to post ideas wondering that Civ3 could bring to us all a complete collection of all the most brilliant and interesting ideas posted here at the forums.

Nevertheless, one thing that strucks me as evident is that people are actively discussing their favourite game... some of these ideas, although not implemented, make for a good reading, both as strategic material concerning an empire-building game, and as source material to confront the actual game with the ideas that could have been implemented.

Not all ideas are interesting but, alas, that's the price you pay for having freedom of expression...

And there's always Civ4, as KrazyHorse pointed out...
Old June 30, 2001, 15:46   #16
joseph1944

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexnm
First of all, I don't think that people are posting their ideas about Civ3 hoping that those ideas could still be implemented in the game.
I for one would not bet on the above option. There lots of people here who if they lived near Hunts Valley and knew what three story building Firaxis was located in. They be dropping by all of the time with new idea.
In fact how many e-mails p/day do you think Firaxis received one to two months ago? I would bet they where receiving 500 to 1,000 per day. Right now they are properly receiving 100 to 200 per day.

Last edited by ; June 30, 2001 at 15:59.

Old June 30, 2001, 16:03   #17
TechWins
King

Local Time: 04:12
Anunikoba, if you don't like the Civ3 forum then why do you even come here? What you're basically saying is "I don't like this forum so nobody else should either". People come here to post their ideas so they can just tell them to somebody. I mean almost none of the ideas are going to be used but it's just fun to have people talking about your ideas. Plus not all the threads are just about ideas they're also about some of the implemented stuff in Civ3.
Old June 30, 2001, 17:14   #18
JamesJKirk
Civilization II PBEM
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Anunikoba
Ok, so what you are saying is that if Sid Meier was to post a suggestion here, in this forum, and Brian Reynolds read it, and still worked at Firaxis, then a change would be made to CivIII?

Maybe my point is a little thin; but then again, so is yours!
and.....

Quote:
Ralf- thanx for the input, but your post is mostly irrelevant to this conversation. You are basically admonishing the whole of Apolyton for it's activeness, and complaining about the unreliability of the new software upgrade. ??
I for one enjoy how you tell people what they are arguing, or are you trying to convince yourself to rationalize something? Perhaps, you don't like to read anything critical, so you glance at it and think of what it MIGHT say? As has been said here, if you don't like it here, go somewhere else. And I don't know about everyone else, but I for one do enjoy this, so no need to tell me to ignore you
Old June 30, 2001, 18:09   #19
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Quote:
yin26- I guess that the excessive amounts of posting here makes it almost impossible for anyone not to be overwhelmed with the task of sorting through the jibberish just to find the really important stuff. Hmm, and I wonder what that could be?
Actually, the only one overwhelmed so far is YOU. Now here's a thought: YOU could post a thread about something specific you'd like to know, and many people would help you...because we are generally very helpful on this forum.

But the best you can do is come to a public forum DESIGNED to generate discussion and say: "Quit all this excessive talking!"? Please, man, rethink yourself.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old June 30, 2001, 19:08   #20
TechWins
King

Quote:
But the best you can do is come to a public forum DESIGNED to generate discussion and say: "Quit all this excessive talking!"? Please, man, rethink yourself.
I know, what is this guy's problem?
Old June 30, 2001, 21:33   #21
Sarxis
Emperor

ROFL!

That was fun.
-------------------------

Well, I was going to leave it at that, but...

Ah! Forget it! I'm done now. I just hope that each and every one of you that had to prove their point felt just a little better about themselves. And, if you are reading this, then you must be waiting for me to say something else that you can refute so that you may feel just a little better about yourself once again. Come on now... ... "Strike me down with all of your hatred, and your jouney towards the dark-side (of forum posting) will be complete."

Now I will await your replies. I expect a few, "He's lost it"s and maybe a few more "What's your problem?"s, or even some more very ::eh hem:: convincing evidence that the time spent here is time well spent.

[oh, and since I got so many of these, here is one back at ya'!]

Last edited by Sarxis; June 30, 2001 at 21:46.
Old June 30, 2001, 22:18   #22
KrazyHorse
Deity

I think I can summarize this thread in two quotes:

Quote:
I hate to tell you people, but this is just SAD
Quote:
I don't see what your #*@#*#* problem is
Oh yeah, Anunikoba: Troll, troll, trollity troll.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old June 30, 2001, 22:43   #23
Sarxis
Emperor

A response like that only begs the retort:

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me."

I also liked, "Spam, spam, spammity, spam" from the other thread you replied in- seems to be a recurring theme with you. But I hate to tell you this is just sad.

What? Was there something else you wanted to say?
Old June 30, 2001, 22:52   #24
KrazyHorse
Deity

Actually, I ripped off the Spammity idea from Firedragon. Pop quiz, mofo: where's it originally from?

By the way:
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old July 1, 2001, 11:57   #25
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 08:12
Well, you know Anunikoba... Life is sad... very sad...

And Civ3 will be one of the few things that can carry some joy to this miserable existence...

Relax.
Old July 1, 2001, 17:32   #26
JamesJKirk
Civilization II PBEM
King

Anyone who can't answer what the term "Spamming" derives from should be permanently banned!

Spiced Pork and Ham, of course
Old July 1, 2001, 21:13   #27
KrazyHorse
Deity

Wasn't it just SPiced hAM? That wasn't quite what I was looking for, though.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old July 2, 2001, 01:07   #28
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 19:12
Of course, the Monty Python skit.

That's exactly where "spam" was originated. The term was first used to describe unsolicited commerical postings on Usenet newsgroups, then extended to include junk e-mail.
Old July 2, 2001, 02:44   #29
TechWins
King

Quote:
convincing evidence that the time spent here is time well spent.
Anything that doesn't let you gain knowledge or get work done isn't time well spent. Although, you do have to fun and that's what these forums are for. Not people like you critizing people for the way they spend their time in life.

Anunikoba, aren't you kind of a hipocrit (no, I don't care if I spelled that wrong) because you have over 500 posts.

Quote:
And Civ3 will be one of the few things that can carry some joy to this miserable existence...
This is kind of what I'm trying to get through to Anunikoba. Except I wouldn't call life a miserable existence.
Old July 2, 2001, 05:43   #30
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Look, we are just bored and impatient people sat around here speculating. You can't fault us for that, surely

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith