Old August 19, 2000, 20:29   #1
poppawoppa
Warlord

Local Time: 15:42
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Biggest Barbarian Stac?
Early on during my SP games at Deity, I try to kill off Barbarians or bribe them if I can to leave the King exposed for collecting the 150 gold bonus. But late in the game, those prolific barbarians start showing up in big bunches with cavalry and partisans who pillage my valuable infrastructure. So, by that time, not needing the 150 bonus, I try to go for the "doubled" stack which includes the King and others of the barbarian tribe who have not had enough room to spread their looting and pillaging to more of my real estate.

Last night, I was fortunate to "wade through" enough of the spread of 13 barbarian partisans and cavalry to be able to bring an armor tank into the forest next to the mountains where the King and his cohorts were positioned. When I blasted the stack with my Veteran Armor and destroyed them, I got the message "31 units destroyed".

That makes a total of 43 units and the King which showed up at that uprising. Has anyone encountered more barbarians than that in a single stack?

--------------------------------------------- Havin' fun Civving!
Old August 19, 2000, 22:01   #2
finbar
Civilization II MultiplayerMac
Emperor

Local Time: 01:42
Local Date: October 31, 2010
My best is 32, from memory. I think someone has claimed more.

------------------
finbar
Mono Rules!
Old August 19, 2000, 22:57   #3
Caesar
Settler

Local Time: 23:42
My scariest memory while playing on a deity, I had just begun colonizing an uncolonized island, if I remember correctly, 12 armors, 14 artillery and 20 partisans + a leader. 47, but thats not official because I do not remember the numbers exactly.
Old August 20, 2000, 01:30   #4
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Local Time: 17:42
Caesar:

I've never seen barbarian armored divisions ... but have seen calvary paired with artillery and partisans. Does armor only show up in Deity only? Just curious ... usually don't play Deity.

CYBERAmazon
Old August 20, 2000, 13:39   #5
SCG
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
King

Local Time: 18:42
by biggest stack came recently in the OCC #9 game. 3 turns before my spaceship landed, i had an uprising just outside my city radius. bribed an artillery and took it to the main stack, killing 51 units. At the time that was a little disconcerting so close to AC, but now I wish I had a save of that, so that I could test that theory about barbs not being able to take your only city as long as there is at least 1 unit there. They had a river leading to my railroaded squares, so it would have been interesting see if the 50+ artillery, riflemen and cavalry would in fact beat themselves to death against a single sentried freight without city walls - for the test I would have disbanded all the other units in the city.

------------------
April Cantor: Sire, in order to expand further we must first gain favor of the King

SCG: darn, I've never really got the hang of that tribute thing, guess it will be a long time until i make prince

*goes off and starts gifting gold and techs*
Old August 20, 2000, 15:08   #6
Kitana
Chieftain

You know, late in the game I find there are lots of barbarians and yes I hate that they mess up my infrastructure. The most I've seen in my games is about 40 followed by another 30 in the same area on the next term. I find Stealth Fighters the best way to deal with these hordes.

------------------
Kitana
Shogun of the Japanese
Old August 21, 2000, 18:08   #7
Simpson II
Prince

Once, while playing OCC, I had roughly 70 appear just outside my city radius over the course of about 3 turns. Not pretty.

In another long, long game I had fanatics get so bad that I couldn't hold them with armour; I was rush-buying nukes to get rid of them. It was the only way to stay ahead, with the few cities I had nearby.

I think that barbie armour will only appear if you have mucked around with the order of the units in rules.txt. I hope so, anyway!
Old August 22, 2000, 00:54   #8
jpk
Prince

I've never seen barbarian armor. How did lyou get so lucky?

Kitana is right about stealth fighters. If necessary I kamikazi the fighter to get the stack.