Old July 1, 2001, 11:05   #1
Juggernaut
Prince

Local Time: 13:14
Local Date: October 31, 2010
diplomacy between civs with different govs
to add some realism in Civ III, your relations with other civs should depend on which governments in use. i mean, a democratic civ who becomes ally with a nationalistic or fundemntalistic, isnīt very truely.

the other civīs attitude towards you should depend a little on this. just like we have seen in reality, with ie. the us commu-extermination, cold war, etc.

a good and realistic factor, according to me.
Old July 1, 2001, 12:03   #2
To_Serve_Man
Warlord

Local Time: 06:14
In the begining of the Cold war, the United States and the west Europeans had very tense dimplomatic relations with the Communist countryies. However, when Nixon visited the CCCP and China, there was a policy of detantewith both nations. Today, the US is trading with China like crazy. I dont really think there should be any restrictions on government diplomacy... but maybe, just throwing out some ideas here... maybe there can be additional options in the diplomacy screen when negotiating with a different government. Or maybe Civ3 could take a lesson from Europa Unversalis and make relations betwen governments kinda like the Religiopus Tolerance slider bars?
Old July 1, 2001, 12:16   #3
Juggernaut
Prince

Quote:
Today, the US is trading with China like crazy.
yeah, but they donīt love eachother...

additionally, i would like to see conflicts of left/right-govs, death penalty opinion, religious matters (like you said), environment and so on.

just look at EU and Bush today...

not that civs with differenent type of govs should hate each other automatically, the standard attitude (which can be manipulated through ie. gifts) between them should just be a little more negative the more unsimilar their styles are.
Old July 1, 2001, 17:30   #4
JamesJKirk
Civilization II PBEM
King

Local Time: 03:14
Quote:
Originally posted by To_Serve_Man
In the begining of the Cold war, the United States and the west Europeans had very tense dimplomatic relations with the Communist countryies. However, when Nixon visited the CCCP and China.......
Don't say "CCCP", that's not accurate at all, it just so happens those letters look like our Latin-script letters for "C" and "P", it'd be more accurate to say "SSSR"

But how would you account for the US support (and creation of) for right-wing nationalist regimes throughout the cold war?

I agree this should be an effect, but not a bottom line reasoning that only similar governments get along, they'd have to see what's in their national interest (eg; US support for rightwing regimes, Monarchical France's support for US, UK, French and US support of Czarist Russia, etc)

uncle_funk- I don't think that such a minor thing like that should come into play, US-EU relations don't rest on US support for the Death Penalty, and saying that there's a huge rightwing/leftwing ideological difference between US and EU governments would be naive.
Old July 1, 2001, 18:04   #5
Juggernaut
Prince

Quote:
US-EU relations don't rest on US support for the Death Penalty, and saying that there's a huge rightwing/leftwing ideological difference between US and EU governments would be naive.
no, cause both US and EU are democracies, both having people being relatively free. however, the death penalty and bushīs refusing of signing the kyoto treaty is frustrating to many of the EU countries. in civ II, this is similar to the other civsībegging to stop with your nuking.

if this were civ II, their relations wouldnīt be "enthusiastic", more like one or two steps worse.

Last edited by Juggernaut; July 1, 2001 at 18:18.
Old July 1, 2001, 19:27   #6
JamesJKirk
Civilization II PBEM
King

Local Time: 03:14
IMO, 1-2 regard steps below regular would be the average when government's aren't the same, not when they have one difference in policy (or execution of policy, if you'll forgive the pun ) There's an ocean of difference between nuclear proliferation and having the death penalty, and while I might be able to back you if you aid relations in civ could be strained visibly by the former, I most certainly couldn't by the latter. besides, it's not like civ3 will likely give anyone that much domestic control, and besides Europes economic, diplomatic, and military strength rest to heavily on the US for a major rift to occur at this point