Old July 3, 2001, 17:09   #1
Asesino_Virtual
Warlord

Local Time: 08:17
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Who wanna play CIVIII by email?
Yeah. Anyone who want play by email, send me an email and then ill compilate a list of people who would be happy to play in this way.

A_V

Old July 3, 2001, 17:26   #2
ancient
Prince

Local Time: 06:17
nooo, thats just dumb..
Old July 3, 2001, 17:27   #3
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 07:17
Uhhh...maybe we should wait a little while before starting up a list. Like until the game is finished.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old July 3, 2001, 19:56   #4
TechWins
King

Local Time: 04:17
Maybe instead of starting a list for Civ3 you should go to the Civ2 forum and start a list for Civ2 or just wait until the game comes out.
Old July 3, 2001, 20:57   #5
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 13:17
I never figured out what the point is in playing games by e-mail, does this mean you start the game, make one move (Send the move to another mail) exit the game and wait for the next mail???

Is that what it's about, or did I miss something here???
Old July 3, 2001, 21:02   #6
TechWins
King

Local Time: 04:17
I'm not sure, either. I've never played by e-mail, I don't know how to play by e-mail, and I don't want to play by e-mail.
Old July 3, 2001, 21:32   #7
Sabre2th
King

Local Time: 07:17
That's pretty much it ADG. It's a bit slow for me, but its probably still better than no MP at all.
Old July 4, 2001, 00:22   #8
Lung
King

Local Time: 21:17
Actually, it's a great way to play civ games For that totally immersive civ experience, PBEM is the way to go! The only problem is getting used to only being able to play one turn at a time, which can be quite frustrating. However, it reminds me of those old stories about people who used to play chess by post. The game would take years, but it obviously never stopped some people from trying.

If you don't believe me, check out the CTP Multiplaying forum at Apolyton and see how many play PBEM as opposed to other forms of multiplaying. I would go so far as to say that without PBEM, interest in CTP would have dies ages ago. Personally, i would say that PBEM is ideal for TBS games, while other forms of multiplaying are not ideal. This is because there shouldn't be a time limit on turns in a TBS game. After all, that's what RTS games are designed for! I'll use chess as an example. Chess is considered to be the greatest game ever invented. It is really the original TBS game. Time limits only serve to cheapen the game, which is where RTS games come into their own

The answer is simple - play CivIII, and play it by e-mail! There's nothing like taking two years to finish a game to really feel a sense of achievement
Old July 4, 2001, 00:43   #9
Swissy
Civilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMRise of Nations MultiplayerIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerBtS Tri-League

PBEM allows you to play a multiplayer game as you would a single player game. Checking over every aspect of the turn before you hit end. Online play usually involves time limits, both for turns and game session. You also have players with slow or unreliable connections which I have found to be the biggest drawback to online play. You also get to play against people from all around the world without having to problems with time zones. and finding a good time for everyone to play.
Old July 4, 2001, 06:35   #10
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

it of course good that the other players slow connection doesn't give any problem, but to only be able to make one single turn and then wait a day to make next move is very frustrating I guess, so count me out of any PBEM games, I don't want to play the same game in 2 years+
Old July 4, 2001, 07:33   #11
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 12:17
I'd PBEM. I find doing it directly over the internet, especially on my dial up connection quite awkward, unreliable and I am never around at the right time. So yeah, add me.

And some of you people, stop being so damn miserable

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old July 4, 2001, 07:38   #12
Juggernaut
Prince

yeah, if i want a strategy MP game with timelimits, I play StarCraft.
Old July 4, 2001, 10:48   #13
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

biggest problem with PBEM is lack of being able to negotiatie wit hhumans... it is like playing SP when it comes to diplomacy....

It would be ok if when ever you wanted to have some diplomatic relations you could contact the other human by ICQ and get them to join the game for a period so as you can negotiate properly ..
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old July 4, 2001, 12:51   #14
tniem
King

Think that negotiations are the biggest problems with PBEM games.

I want to be added to the list. Whoever ends up making it. I do not believe that a settler when he posted this thread will end up doing the list.
Old July 4, 2001, 12:57   #15
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

s stated earier , way too early to start making lists. lets get the game and paly with it awhile beofre playing a PBEM game
Old July 4, 2001, 13:10   #16
tniem
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Rasputin
s stated earier , way too early to start making lists. lets get the game and paly with it awhile beofre playing a PBEM game
I will probably begin playing mp the day the game comes out in one way or another. I plan on finding out the release date getting it in the morning with a friend and then each of us going home to play a couple hours to get the hang of it. We will then log into a Civ server or just use each others address and play some MP Civ III

We did it with SMAC and we will do it again with this one I am pretty sure.

Any way, my main point is that I would love to begin playing PBEM games within a week of release. You might not know all the strategies or intracies of the game, but you will learn fast with trial by error. So a list should be compiled around release time but we shouldn't wait to long.
Old July 4, 2001, 13:15   #17
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

i prefer not to paly by email but a list of icq numbers similiar to what is in civ 2 MP section would be handy,, ,just add your number to list when you get civ 3
Old July 5, 2001, 03:28   #18
Lung
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Rasputin
biggest problem with PBEM is lack of being able to negotiatie wit hhumans... it is like playing SP when it comes to diplomacy....

It would be ok if when ever you wanted to have some diplomatic relations you could contact the other human by ICQ and get them to join the game for a period so as you can negotiate properly ..
Never heard of e-mail? I would go as far as to say that diplomacy has gone to new heights with PBEM. Not to mention the forums, where much of the diplomacy takes place, along with large doses of propaganda Apparently, some players even have secret alliances!! Of course, i've never done so myself

It has also been said that 90% of all dealings take place outside the game diplomacy and even outside the forums!

BTW, my avatar is uglier than yours, but only just
Old July 5, 2001, 04:09   #19
JellyDonut
Prince

Local Time: 12:17
Secret alliances, eh? Couldn't you do that with any multiplayer game (as long as you can communicate secretly)? It would be interesting to be in a secret alliance but pretending to be at war. Heeheehee. Whoever you targeted would be paranoid whenever playing MP. That would be funny.

Old July 5, 2001, 12:48   #20
BorderPatrol
Chieftain

Well, in civ 3 there are gonna be resources that your opponents have that you need and vice versa. You have to be able to interact with them to set up the trading of those resources. Therefore PBEM won't work.
Old July 5, 2001, 15:29   #21
Dugrik
Call to Power PBEMCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 05:17
Quote:
Originally posted by BorderPatrol
Well, in civ 3 there are gonna be resources that your opponents have that you need and vice versa. You have to be able to interact with them to set up the trading of those resources. Therefore PBEM won't work.
This too is done via email:

Dear Julius, I send elephants to you if you send bronze to me, signed Hannibal.

Dear Hannibal, throw in 10 gold/month and you've got a deal, JC.

Dear Julius, deal, Hannibal.

When Hannibal's turn arrives, he opens the diplomacy screen and sends the already agreed upon proposal to Rome. When Julius receives his turn he accepts the proposal that the Carthaginians have sent him. Deal accomplished.

Anything you can do in a real-time chat room you can do via email.
Old July 26, 2001, 11:29   #22
TheBirdMan
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 11:17
Location: A real Master of CTP-PBEM - together with all the others.....
I fully support, that CIV III should include PBEM.

I am not sure, how many CTP PBEM games I am in right now (I could count them, I know ). Between 13 and 16 (one is just going to start) I think.

If CIV III does not support PBEM games, I will not buy it.

Quote:
Never heard of e-mail? I would go as far as to say that diplomacy has gone to new heights with PBEM. Not to mention the forums, where much of the diplomacy takes place, along with large doses of propaganda Apparently, some players even have secret alliances!! Of course, i've never done so myself
No, Lung you can't do anything in silence . Neither can I unless I really have to (and even then, it is hard, sometimes so hard, that I can't stand it ) .

Question from BorderPatrol:
Quote:
and the answer ffrom Dugrik:
Quote:
This too is done via email: Dear Julius, I send elephants to you if you send bronze to me, signed Hannibal.
. Simple, isn't it?

From Swissy I have quoted this:
Quote:
You also get to play against people from all around the world without having to problems with time zones. and finding a good time for everyone to play.
And don't think that we, who plays PBEM are boring people. But we (some times) have a life - or take the time to have it.

For the fun of the games. See these links:

An alliance close to break?!: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...7&pagenumber=3

The confession time (after 3 players were eliminated IN THE VERY SAME TURN: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...1&pagenumber=2 and http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...1&pagenumber=3

Roleplaying: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...936#post383936

Anniversery: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=21903

Who are we? http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...1&pagenumber=1
Old July 26, 2001, 21:19   #23
Lung
King

That'll show the doubting bastards, Tweety! PBEM is the best, and they don't know what they're missing!

BTW, i still can't understand your cryptic messages I dunno if it's in the translation, or you're just weird
Old July 26, 2001, 22:22   #24
Rommel393
Warlord

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.. ...

Look what the lack of updates from firaxis has done to us. They have reduced the weak minded to playing civilizations over email. LOL. This is classic.
Old July 26, 2001, 22:24   #25
Rommel393
Warlord

i did something not quite unlike this at one time and IT WAS THE GAYEST THING I HAVE EVER DONE IN THE FEW YEARS IVE BEEN ON THIS PLANET. Thank you for your time.
Old July 26, 2001, 23:24   #26
Rommel393
Warlord

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....... what would you do in it anyway? It seems like it would just be a diplomatic game. LOL
Old July 27, 2001, 00:33   #27
Lung
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Rommel393
i did something not quite unlike this at one time and IT WAS THE GAYEST THING I HAVE EVER DONE IN THE FEW YEARS IVE BEEN ON THIS PLANET.
I'll bet it isn't

Quote:
[SIZE=1] what would you do in it anyway? It seems like it would just be a diplomatic game. LOL
How very true. Every civ i play is the opitome of tolerance and brotherly love Isn't that true, Tweety?!

You see, i play CTP by pbem, and i have never seen, or even heard of a game without war. That of course has nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that i am a total warmonger I would even go as far as to say that pbem saved CTP from the annals of crap computer games. In fact, CTP is almost entirely played in pbem now As for diplomacy, i only use it to give me time to invade the nearest peacenik
Old July 27, 2001, 00:34   #28
TheBirdMan
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power Democracy Game
Emperor

Location: A real Master of CTP-PBEM - together with all the others.....
Oh yes, maybe I am wierd. I like it this way.

And you are completely right. We "smiles", talk nice and write polite - while we are planning the best way to backstab of beloved brother .

It has something to do with the old saying: Do it now before someone else are doing it to you ! Naaaa, it was not quite that - but it is close to

As for Rommel. Forget him.

Last edited by TheBirdMan; July 27, 2001 at 00:41.
Old July 27, 2001, 11:14   #29
Recurve
Chieftain

I'm all-in for PBEM.
But I have no illusions, it'd take at least 10 years per game.
Old July 27, 2001, 11:18   #30
Rommel393
Warlord

Thanks alot Lung for that subtle implication. I assure you it was the "stupidest" thing I've ever done.