Old July 5, 2001, 09:16   #1
JanB
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:19
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Game crashes to desktop
Hi, I love CTP II but have a problem with it crashing. Usually quite a way into the game, the game crashes back to the desktop when I try to load a saved game. A number of the saved files become corrupted so unusable. I get a message saying that the programme has performed an illegal operation.

I have installed the patch into the programme file but am unsure whether it is in the correct place or whether it would help with this problem anyway.

Help! Jan
Old July 5, 2001, 17:49   #2
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 12:19
If you installed the patch, are the savegames ones you saved before you patched, or after? You cannot play pre-patch games after patching (I think)
Old July 5, 2001, 18:46   #3
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 13:19
It shouldn't be a problem to install the patch. The patch installer should find the correct CTP2 directory. (I know sometimes it couldn't find the correct directory. )

It is no problem to continue a game that is started on an unpatched CTP2 on a patched CTP2 version. You will only get some odd messages. To avoid this open the chat window by typing (') without the brackets and then enter /reloadslic.

I guess your problem is that you are using the scenario file structure for you Mod/game. Using maps means also to use the scenario file structure. Unfortunatly the scenario file structure is very buggy. For example the extra turn bug or corrupted save games. For mods you can use ModSwapper for maps... I don't know. You could copy the Activision.txt from the scens that comes with the game but I don't know if it has any effect.

-Martin
Old July 5, 2001, 23:23   #4
Big Dave
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 05:19
Re: Game crashes to desktop
I'm having the same problem. I have the patch installed, I'm running Med Mod II and use ModSwapper to set up the mod.

Old July 5, 2001, 23:27   #5
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 21:19
You guys aren't running Windows 2000 are you? I used to and had this problem too. When I rebuilt my PC back to Windows 98 (I had OTHER issues with 2000 as well as directx reliant games, like security for one) I haven't had a problem since. Others have noted that Win 2K doesn't like CTP2 as well.
Old July 6, 2001, 04:18   #6
JanB
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:19
Thankyou!
Your help was really great. Thankyou. The one that seems most likely given my circumstances and experience is the one from Dale re Windows 2000. Yes, I do have this installed. Strangely, I have played the game without problems on my daughter's and husband's machines which are both lower spec than mine and have Windows 98 installed. I will check this idea first and then the others should that fail!

Thankyou all for your time,

Jan
Old July 6, 2001, 06:33   #7
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 13:19
I knew it why I bought recently a really fast comp with win98 instead of ME or 2000.
Old July 10, 2001, 21:08   #8
Big Dave
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 05:19
No 2k for me
I'm running Windoze 98SE, but I have other problems with this system, so CTP2 may not be the culprit. I'll troubleshoot this system when I get the chance (i.e. after I quit using it to find a job).