Old July 5, 2001, 10:11   #1
Avenoct
Prince

Local Time: 06:19
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Need Rookies and a Moderator for a SMAC game to soon Start
Very similar to Icewind's outline I'm looking to start a SMAC game for all of us new to Multiplaying! I'm open to rules-map-faction suggestions, but here's my inclination: Large random map - average everything. As far as rules, yes, 'Look First' and no pod scattering. I'd like to shoot for 4 human players and 3 AI players. Pretty straightforward, so if you're interested, drop a line. Start date depends on when we can get a moderator. If you've ever played MP before and have an idea how to moderate, here's your chance. It's 2pm GMT or so, July 5, and I'd love to have this up and running by 2pm GMT July 6, but expect that it'll take till the 7th. If you are o.k. to go ahead with a basically average setup, say so after your suggestions so we don't have to wait for a comment-reply-comment cycle.

Note to potential Moderators: email me at Rmontalbon@aol.com. I'll check in at about 2300 GMT July 5. I'd love your help!

Drop an opinion on the following option as well...I won't use it unless I get overwhelming 'Yes' replies.

[There would be no custom factions, unless you want to go with the alphatext and factiontext experiment I've been using. This is to give every faction a free former and to set all factions (obviously doesn't matter to human players) to pacifist and add building tendency. This seems to beef up the AI's chances. Additionally I've changed mining to need enviroecon as a prerequisite. This also is for the AI to encourage foresting and seems to work about 1/2 the time.]

Thanks,

Smack
Old July 5, 2001, 16:44   #2
Lord_Icewind
ACDG3 GaiansAlpha Centauri PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 13:19
I would like to come to this one too!!
Old July 5, 2001, 16:44   #3
Lord_Icewind
Warlord

I would like to come to this one too!! i would play as pirates
Old July 5, 2001, 17:16   #4
Avenoct
Prince

Sounds good Sir Icewind, excepting that I'm playing SMAC, not SMAX, so the Pirates are sunk in my game. I'd love to play in your game but it looks like it's leaning toward SMAX and that simply isn't possible for me as it hasn't been released for macintosh. That aside, if I could convince you to play your game as SMAC as well, we could both play in each others games. Now we just need a moderator or two....

-Smack
Old July 6, 2001, 03:48   #5
H0bbes
Emperor

I'm happy to moderate a game/games for you. Let me know, jcrocombe@dingoblue.net.au

Hobbes.
Old July 6, 2001, 04:27   #6
Vytae
Warlord

Local Time: 03:19
Glad to
I would be glad to play,im as green as they come to SMAC multiplayer. Im also new to these forums,first post yaay =o
Old July 6, 2001, 06:42   #7
Avenoct
Prince

Righto', looks like Hobbes will be Moderating for our game. Icewind, post what faction you'd like to play. It'll be another 24 hours at least before we get started if anyone cares to join us. Players so far : Icewind, Smack, Vytae. Oh, lets use the boards for our communiques as much as possible, it's easier than checking email and using the boards to communicate the same info. I'm really excited for our first game! Whoo hoo!

-Smack
Old July 6, 2001, 09:19   #8
SmartFart
Civilization II MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEM
King

I would like to play too. Morgan is my pick.

Regards.

SF
Old July 6, 2001, 13:52   #9
Lord_Icewind
Warlord

I would play as university.
Old July 6, 2001, 14:33   #10
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 14:19
Same with Vytae. I can take the left over faction (Have to practise with the Believers, I guess ). This is classic SMAC, I hope? Unfortunately I won't be available until the 8th, around 17:00 GMT though. Smack's rules seem fine, in my opinion.

PS. Smack, we do have to download the save file from e-mail inbox, right? Otherwise how is it gonna go from player to player?

Last edited by Kassiopeia; July 6, 2001 at 14:41.
Old July 6, 2001, 14:55   #11
Lord_Icewind
Warlord

I have to say that i can only play around 17:00 GMT, 'cause i live in spain and i can only connect after that hour. Is everyone OK with that?
Old July 6, 2001, 18:14   #12
Avenoct
Prince

Game to Start: 1700 GMT on 7/7/01!
Great, now we are five: Icewind, Vytae, Smartfart, Kassiopeia, and Smack. That seems like enough to me b/c it'll get slower the more we have. Let's start at 1700 GMT on 7/7/01, thats 1:00 EST tomorrow.

I havn't heard back from our amazing moderator, Hobbes, though I'm sure he'll have a few things to clue us in to the specifics of an MP game. But we'll go ahead and start tomorrow with or without him, hopefully with him. I got mixed feedback on the Alphatext rules changes, and after thinking about it, decided it would be best to drop it and go as straightforward as possible. This is after all our first MP game!

Here's a preliminary outline of rules/guidelines:

Large Average random world
No Unity Pod scattering
Directed Research
No Spoils of War
Yadda yadda
Look First
All Victory conditions
and and...
Well, we'll think of it...

Also, I recall there is some standard list of 'Do's and Don'ts' for MP play as far as what's considered fair or not. Anyone know where that thread might be?

As far as Factions and Turn order, let's get that out of the way here. Order is order subscribed to the thread, and if we don't have a moderator I'll start the game.

1. Icewind - University
2. Vytae - Morgan (he emailed me to suggest that)
3. Smartfart - Not sure, Morgan if Vytae will change, otherwise?
4. Kassiopeia - Yang, Miriam, Lal or Deirdre, depending on wht Vytae and Smartfart work out.
5. Smack - Whoevers left, well, one of them...

Now about that pacifism discussion some folks had in Icewind's thread....while it's a nice sentiment, let's not get bogged down in trying to define a play style. This game is no holds barred! If you want to pact, go ahead. If you get backstabbed, well, it happens....take revenge! Don't get me wrong, I personally play as a builder when I can. Its just that if there isn't a possibility that the human players will do anything but cooperate it's just going to be a techrace. So, get your formers warmed up boys and girls. We'll make planetfall tomorrow at 1700 GMT!

P.S. Anyone reading this that can point to a thread dealing with standard MP 'rules', that'd be a help

P.P.S. Yes, Kass, we'll be emailing the game in the above order..I was just getting some emails before that could have just as easily been posted here on the forum so I suggested communicating here. As we play we'll make another thread called 'Turns of Smack's MP game' and let each other know when we've taken our turn.

-Smack
Old July 6, 2001, 18:17   #13
Avenoct
Prince

Old July 6, 2001, 19:16   #14
Qantaga
King

Hello everyone! Good luck to you all in your game.

Smack, you can find a copy of the rules used by Tau Ceti in his Apolyton PBEM Tournament here:

Apolyton PBEM Tournament Rules

Last edited by Qantaga; July 6, 2001 at 19:22.
Old July 6, 2001, 21:49   #15
Avenoct
Prince

Quantaga, thanks for the link, thats the one I was looking for.

Those in the game hop over and check out the various rules, especially the ones concerning using the Design Workshop to upgrade units only at the end of turn, not repeating a saved turn to get better results, and not using the Stockpile Energy-in-building-que-for-extra-Energy trick. I really don't care one way or the other to use these rules or not, but at least we should all agree beforehand.

To make it easier I'll propose that we do use all the rules-guidelines posted in Tau Ceti's thread. I don't mean the game setups (ie map of planet and starting units), just those guidelines that concern fairness of gameplay and the role of the Moderator.

So we need one more post from everyone before we begin:

1. What's your final faction choice if it's still undetermined, and give a second choice.

2. Are you ready to start at 1700 GMT tomorrow? In the case of players who won't be around for a day or more, hopefully we'll have the moderator take your turn. Just let us know on the game thread.

3. Are you o.k. with the innocuous and helpful guidelines above?

-Smack
Old July 7, 2001, 01:23   #16
Lord_Icewind
Warlord

well..
I think i can't make it for today..so the moderator should take it..tommorrow i'll surely be here!
Old July 7, 2001, 08:51   #17
Avenoct
Prince

Forum Server having a bad day?
Is it just my connection or is the forum having a rough day? Well, looks like we're going to put off starting yet again. I've heard back from our moderator, so whenever we the players can get our faction choices and whatnot put together, we'll get started. By the way, be sure to email me with the email address you want to use for the game: Rmontalbon@aol.com.

-Smack

Last edited by Avenoct; July 7, 2001 at 08:57.
Old July 7, 2001, 13:17   #18
Vytae
Warlord

Oops!
Forgot to post! =o

I can start at 1700 GMT but when is it again? i forgot my time zones =o I will be Morgans (sorry smartfart) and those guidelines are fine for me.
Old July 7, 2001, 13:24   #19
Spharion
Settler

Local Time: 08:19
Hello Smack!!

I want to play with you! Is it possible? I'm also sending you an e-mail
Old July 7, 2001, 14:35   #20
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

OK. I´ll be online on a daily basis, sometime about 22:00 GMT. Smack, I can take:

First: Yang
Second: Lal
Third: Deirdre.

So, when SF sends me the game, I play my turn (I got good advice from Tau Ceti) and then send the game to you, via e-mail. Hopefully we can find a proper rhythm.
Old July 7, 2001, 21:08   #21
SmartFart
King

I really don't care what faction I play. Peacekeepers are fine. So is Hive. And Gaians. Even Santiago is cool.

I only hate Believers.

What about gray areas? We should discuss what is allowed and what's not before start.

I think we should ban those features:

- multiplied airdrops using right-click
- communication between faction before 1st meeting
- upgrading units should be allowed on the end of the turn only
- using withdrawal button
- probed faction must declare vendetta,if pacted then must cancel pact

Any suggestions?

My e-mail is SmartFart@pulp-fiction.com

Regards.

SF
Old July 8, 2001, 00:03   #22
Avenoct
Prince

Ah good! I'm glad to see everyone replied. I'll be emailing our moderator, Hobbes with our final pre-game conditions in just a minute. Hobbes will set up the map and email out the first turn to Icewind, and Icewind to Vytae, etc.. I expect we'll be able to get going very soon indeed! As to the factions and turn order here's how it looks:

Icewind: Zakharov
Vytae: Morgan
Smartfart: Lal
Kassiopeia: Yang
Smack: Deirdre

Smartfarts 'Gray areas' mentioned above are mostly the same as those referred to in Tau Ceti's PBEM tourny rules, and I think we should adopt all of them. Until we all agree otherwise, they are the rules of the game.

Kassiopeia, thanks for indicating when you will probably take your turn. If everyone has a regular time like Kass (2200 GMT) or Icewind (1700 GMT) it will probably make things go smoothly. I for one don't have a regular time but will fit into just about any schedule. By the way GMT (Grenwich Mean Time) is EST + 6 hours so Kass is saying 4pm EST.

Spharion, sorry, I'm going to have to say no this time. PBEM is going to go very slowly no matter how we try to finnegle it and 5 seems like the upper limit to me. On the other hand I'd be glad to start a two player game with you anytime! In fact, anyone that wants to play a 'quick game' in addition to this one, drop me a line. I've lots of time right now and would love to play.

Final note: Still need Vytae's, Kassiopeia's and Icewind's email addresses!

-Smack
Old July 8, 2001, 01:27   #23
Lord_Icewind
Warlord

my mail is: dmon007@yahoo.com
Old July 8, 2001, 09:50   #24
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Address:

kassiopeia15@hotmail.com

PS. Thank the Great Maker, Yang is not an AI !!!

What on Planet is "multiple airdrops with right-click"?
Old July 8, 2001, 11:34   #25
SmartFart
King

Units equipped with drop pods may execute multiple airdrops using right mouse button in same turn.
We should agree to not to use this bug.
Old July 8, 2001, 13:10   #26
Avenoct
Prince

Ah........goody goody goody...

We're all set!!!!

I've emailed Hobbes our collective Faction-email-player info and he should get things underway anytime now

-Smack

Oh, I forgot that factions take their turn in the same order every game so looks like I'm first as Deirdre. Keep your eyes peeled for the game start. Whoo hoo!
Old July 8, 2001, 14:29   #27
Vytae
Warlord

You have my email in the first email i sent ya =o by here it is anyhow

lordwraith@home.com
Old July 9, 2001, 11:14   #28
Avenoct
Prince

Just a bump post to let everyone know that the game is still ON, but just waiting for Hobbes to send out the first turn. If nothing happens by 1800 EST I'll just set it up myself. Being Deirdre and hence having the first turn makes this much easier.

-Smack
Old July 9, 2001, 18:32   #29
Kassiopeia
Emperor

RED ALERT
RED ALERT!
In what order do the factions begin in the game?
Gaians are first, then who? Is Yang last? Cripes!
Old July 9, 2001, 19:01   #30
Avenoct
Prince

Kassiopeia, We're getting there! Hobbes just emailed me to say he's just about got our game set up. As to the faction order, I just remember that Deirdre is first. I'll play my turn as soon as I get it and we can all be underway.

-Smack