Old August 31, 2000, 15:04   #1
Ribannah
Queen

Local Time: 00:42
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
No Hydroplants in OCC fn scenario's?
Is it just me (Ultimate Classic=MG edition), or does everybody suffer from not being allowed Hydroplants (and Port Facilities)? It really hurts to have to build the Hoover Dam for just one city, or to cope with every-turn pollution before the terrain is ready (Power Plant)

------------------
If you have no feet, don't walk on fire
Old August 31, 2000, 15:20   #2
SCG
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
King

Local Time: 18:42
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I think you need to have either a river or a mountain adjacent to the city tile to be able to build a hydro plant. I've had several OCC games on 2.42 where I've not been able to build one. Paul's strategy is to hold off on the factory if he knows that the he won't get it as an option. I currently am trying building 1-3 more engineers.

Oh, and hey! quit undercutting my landing dates in the earlier OCC games
Old August 31, 2000, 16:17   #3
Ribannah
Queen

Local Time: 00:42
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
Duh! And here I thought that having one within the city radius was enough.

As it is I tend to holf off on the Power Plant rather than the Factory, pollution isn't too bad at that point. One engineer and the non-settler are doing the farmland while the second engineer is cleaning up. An additional Engineer may still be worth it though.

Btw did you see I went straight to Republic again in OCC#8, skipping Monarchy altogether?
Old August 31, 2000, 17:51   #4
SCG
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
King

Local Time: 18:42
yeah, I saw that. Originally thought that was the way to go as well. Now, we know how to avoid anarchy completely. And if you are able to start WLTKD, you still get Republican trade. WLTDD only gives you monarchy food. Given that, and that Monarchy is a required tech for spaceflight, there really isn't any reason not to go for Monarchy first unless you can get Mystism or Literacy/Republic from a really early hut.

------------------
April Cantor: Sire, in order to expand further we must first gain favor of the King

SCG: darn, I've never really got the hang of that tribute thing, guess it will be a long time until i make prince

*goes off and starts gifting gold and techs*
Old August 31, 2000, 20:28   #5
tonic
King

Local Time: 23:42
Ribannah: In OCC you've got to think cure rather than prevention. So if you set aside 2 Engineers for the task of cleaning up pollution, you can have your Settler and any other Engineers do the terraforming required after you've built the factory and power plant. In some of the later OCC fn games, where your city is rather exposed to hostile civ units in the end game and your pair of cleanup Engineers fall easy prey to Cruisers or Fighters, the pollution-abatement improvements may need to be built to prevent any global warming problems.